Husqvarna advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Couple of things... I've been told the Husqvarna 55 is closed port, and the 55 Rancher is open port. Is that correct?

Also, which of the small Husqvarna model 36 through 61 saws are a magnesium crankcase, and which are polymer plastic?

Reason I ask is because I really liked the three Husqvarna 136 saws I had, and am fond of the 36 that I currently have. But I'd like to stick to magnesium crankcase saws. Thinking about parting with the 36.

Attachments

• DSC02626.JPG
    DSC02626.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02622.JPG
    DSC02622.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02612.JPG
    DSC02612.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02629.JPG
    DSC02629.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02621.JPG
    DSC02621.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 15

I have two Husqvarna 55. They are both Magnesium crankcases. Looking at a 55 Rancher, I assume it has a mag crankcase as well. If I put any amount of money into a saw, I like it to be a metal crankcase. More durable and worth more if I sell/trade it in the future.
Would be nice to have a 51 and 61.
Irhunter... I'd like to know the answer to your question as well. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if my 55 Husky's are clamshell or not.

If I put any amount of money into a saw, I like it to be a metal crankcase.

^^^^^+1
If I end up with a clamshell on the job...that's fine...I have always found the Husky 350 with a 16" bar to be an enjoyable saw to run. Kind of light-sabre zip zip.

But, if I plan to own a saw for a while, I'll go with a mag case. Around here the cost of a Husky 350 and a Stihl 026 are pretty much the same. The 026 and a 16" bar is also quite nice for appropriate sized wood.

Roy

First it depends on what your budget is? I just rebuilt a Husqvarna 350/16” bar. I mainly ran bigger saws but the little 350 stock doesn’t sound too bad.
I purchased my son a new Husqvarna 460 he loves it. It’s replacing a Poulan wild thing that’s over 25 yo. The Poulan still runs. Nothing like running the modern husky. I gave him a Husqvarna 570 used but runs great too. He’s cutting dead falls on my land in vt. I figured I’d give him better saws to cut with. I didn’t think my son would take cutting seriously. I purchased him extra air filters, longer bars n chains for the 570. They went out and bought a husky 390xp too.

I got my sons 460 from amazon they had a sale plus using there Visa card I got $100 off plus free shipping. Watch for sales and clearances it’s a buyers market now.

"Couple of things... I've been told the Husqvarna 55 is closed port, and the 55 Rancher is open port. Is that correct?"

Partially correct. 55 Rancher models are all open port far as I've seen.

To identify an earlier 55 "closed port" model look for a compression release and a row of ++++++++++++'s across the base of the cylinder where it meets the case.

All 55's far as I know are split magnesium cases.

The closed port 55's are excellent, basically a "pro" saw with an oiler than runs all the time.....IMHO......Cliff

The 55 and 55 ranchers both have magnesium crankcases. The 55 is a closed port cylinder with less displacement. The Rancher model generally had a larger displacement open port cylinder.

Both of them are killer saws that work really well.

"Couple of things... I've been told the Husqvarna 55 is closed port, and the 55 Rancher is open port. Is that correct?"

Partially correct. 55 Rancher models are all open port far as I've seen.

To identify an earlier 55 "closed port" model look for a compression release and a row of ++++++++++++'s across the base of the cylinder where it meets the case.

All 55's far as I know are split magnesium cases.

The closed port 55's are excellent, basically a "pro" saw with an oiler than runs all the time.....IMHO......Cliff

CliffR, I take it that you mean an open port 55 Rancher does not have a compression release... right?

CliffR, I take it that you mean an open port 55 Rancher does not have a compression release... right?
Not sure but all the ones I've had in here didn't have one. It's not the best way to identify a closed port model, look at the bottom of the cylinder where it meets the case for the line of ++++++++++'s and it will be a closed port model......Cliff
IMG_4601.JPG

Back