ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Huztl MS660

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Kyler Monares, Aug 30, 2016.

1. TimTaylor

TimTaylor ArboristSite Operative

Just make sure that your cylinder mounts with the bore central. My big bore cylinder had the mounting holes drilled off center and I have heard of that being the case on other cylinders as well. I guess it was loading up the big end and coupled with the slightly strange combustion chamber shape and my too low squish just knocked it to death. You could see that it had gotten very hot before it failed and to it's credit the con rod didn't come to pieces, unlike a genuine Husqvarna I was given yesterday that had trashed the cases as well.
    It all makes for interesting coffee table paper weights

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

davhul likes this.
  2. Johnnybar

Johnnybar ArboristSite Guru

Checking in with you guys after a long sabbatical and came across your troubles with the 660. What oil and ratio did you use and what tune and break-in process was used? Did you pre lube all bearings during assembly? My 100% Hutzl FarmerTec has ran fine for slab milling with 32:1 synthetic and a rich tune. I believe the first tank or two was 24:1 and short runs with plenty of idling in order to keep things extra cool the first day of milling.

3. davhul

davhul ArboristSite Guru

I'm with you here on the extra oil. I personally run 32:1 all the time for the extra lube for the bearings and the chrome cylinder I also keep the tune around 12,5-12,8k.
    I had 3 I built to gave to friends and 2 in which cuts wood everyday and are a year old now. The other guy cuts only firewood but all 3 run a 32-36" bar.
    I don't want to jinx myself but their all running good and their happy so far and when I don't hear from them no news is good news.

A rod bearing failure is easily determined by just seeing how much rotational movement the flywheel has with the piston not moving. I do feel the crank Assembly Is the weak point in the saw at what $13. I told my guys to atleast run 40:1 and hope they listen.
    Oh the guy that put cabers in I did the same thing then I took them out when I realized I had chrome cylinders. The rings are to hard for chrome. Hope you get it worked out.

SeMoTony likes this.
  4. TheTone

TheTone ArboristSite Guru

Were the Caber rings AI or AF? I get AI rings from the Greek guy, but I've seen Caber AF rings on other sites at a lower price. The AI rings are a bit softer.

SeMoTony likes this.
  5. davhul

davhul ArboristSite Guru

How do you like them long term? I didnt look I heard there was different ones but didn't want to chance it.
    I actually like the softer rings and hope the saw lasts to wear them out.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. TheTone

Actually, I haven't been doing this long enough to comment on long term. I gathered from reading AS posts that AF rings are too hard for chrome cylinders. Someone posted that they thought the Chinese rings were like AF's, but I don't know for sure. I just always get the AI rings regardless (make sure your source gives you that info).

7. davhul

davhul ArboristSite Guru

Thanks, I'll have to see if there's a mark on the rings to tell.

8. TheTone

I have not found markings on the rings themselves. Supposedly the Caber rings have a shorter slope at the pin that most others, but I don't know how to tell AI from AF. I'm trusting the seller.

9. davhul

davhul ArboristSite Guru

This is some Fault Analysis info that might help someone determine what caused a failure. File was to large hope the zip works

Attached Files:

TheTone likes this.
  10. galvprobigd

galvprobigd ArboristSite Lurker

It was the coil keeping me from running consistently. Pressure and vacuum tested it again and came back good. Checked the metering lever and it was off ever so slightly. Still nothing. Replaced the coil and gapped it to .025+ and it runs and starts like I would expect it too.

11. hacksaw11111

hacksaw11111 ArboristSite Member

H, Im having the same issue. What did you use to sand this, a drill press or just a dowel by hand? thx

12. paul99

paul99 ArboristSite Member

I put the dowel in the drill press with the drill speed as fast as it would go. I held the clutch drum to the table by hand allowing just enough side to side movement for the thing to self centre and worked the quill up and down to slowly ease / hone the inner diameter until it would slide over the bearing as they normally should. I allowed the drum to rotate very slowly in my hand each time I lowered the quill to help with keeping the bore straight and centered. I've made it sound far more complicated than it actually was TBH you'll soon work it out - mine was liteterally only a few thousands too tight and was done in less time than it's taken me to type this.

Brian Thacker likes this.
  13. hacksaw11111

hacksaw11111 ArboristSite Member

Hi - How much freeport does you saw have? as much as this?
    Piston gap 2.jpg Piston gap.jpg

14. weimedog

weimedog Addicted to ArboristSite

15. snake_2586

snake_2586 ArboristSite Member

Here's a question for you all, I built one of these late last year, and have been using it for milling on and off, I don't know how many tanks of fuel it has had through it, but it is safe to say it is run in.
    when I was using it yesterday it had just finished its second tank of fuel of the morning half way through a cut, (you know you can tell when they are running low on fuel, so rather than let it stall I killed it like normal), filled it up again and it refused to start.
    I gave up and put it back in the shed, I went out to it this afternoon, like normal one pull on choke it popped, knock the choke off another two pulls and it roars back to life.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the hell it is doing this? so I can save some frustration.

MG porting likes this.
  16. Bedford T

Bedford T the1chainsawguy

Never let it go lean. Stop and fill your tank up. It was likely dry and if you had kept pulling on it it would have flooded. You use a oem hose if you are not they are more flexible than the supplied one.

chainsaw kits and packing lists
    http://thechainsawkitguy.com
    http://YouTube.com/c/the1chainsawguy

17. MG porting

MG porting ArboristSite Guru

Follow as Bedford T seed but run it again and if it does it again it could be a bad coil they get hot and if it's on it's way out that's what will happen.

snake_2586 likes this.
  18. snake_2586

snake_2586 ArboristSite Member

Thanks for the responses, it does it when hot, does not matter if it is empty or not, I know what a flooded engine is like and that is not the problem.
    The coil sound like a good candidate, I swapped the plug to see if made a difference and it did not, but turning to over with the plug out and it is only giving a dull orange spark, not a bright blue one like I would like to see, (must try it when cold).

smokey7 and MG porting like this.
  19. MG porting

MG porting ArboristSite Guru

Yep most likely coil or a bad coil wire.

snake_2586 and smokey7 like this.
  20. ssm1699

ssm1699 ArboristSite Operative

Well after reading all the pages, I ordered the kit on 8/6. It is currently in NY being processed by Customs. We will see how it goes when it finally gets here. I have wanted one, but never needed one. Well I needed a saw that is more than my MS390. The 390 pulled the 25" B&C Full Skip that I put on it, but complained a little. I know that I will have some more fairly big stuff to drop, coming up. So this will fit the bill for me.