Hyway 288 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum but figured I'd post it here too.

I thought I'd post a little info on the Hyway cylinder that I got to replace the Warlock cylinder and compaire it to the OEM K&S cylinder I have. First the Hyway, The casting and plating look great with only a little clean up needed. The timing numbers and port widths are are all off the bevel and no base gasket. The transfer widths are for the lowers, I forgot to measure the uppers.

Hyway
EX 100 34mm
IN 70 27.74mm
Tr 120 25.30mm
Squish .030
Hyway pics

Attachments

• KIMG0311.JPG
    KIMG0311.JPG
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 24
  • KIMG0312.JPG
    KIMG0312.JPG
    900.3 KB · Views: 22
  • KIMG0314.JPG
    KIMG0314.JPG
    935.3 KB · Views: 21
  • KIMG0313.JPG
    KIMG0313.JPG
    917.7 KB · Views: 21
Now The K&S

EX 107 30.78mm
IN 72 26.47mm
TR 127 27.5mm
Squish .023

Attachments

• KIMG0318.JPG
    KIMG0318.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 10
  • KIMG0319.JPG
    KIMG0319.JPG
    739.2 KB · Views: 11
  • KIMG0316.JPG
    KIMG0316.JPG
    762.8 KB · Views: 12
  • KIMG0317.JPG
    KIMG0317.JPG
    756 KB · Views: 10
I know there's not a lot of interest in the Hyway cylinder, just going by the views, but I measured the skirt widths on the three pistons I have and hope it helps someone who's thinking about replacing or porting their cylinder/piston. If anyone has a Mahle or Meteor cylinder and wants to post the numbers they got feel free to post them. If you have the same cylinders I have and came up with different numbers than I did put them up, it might help someone in the future decide what they want to do.

Ok, the pistons.

OEM 36.79mm
Hyway 37.6mm
Meteor 38.24mm

I know someone that has a HyWay 288 cylinder and meteor piston kit with caber rings locally. It runs very well. Compression is 150 psi before break in. I was considering doin one for myself.

I know someone that has a HyWay 288 cylinder and meteor piston kit with caber rings locally. It runs very well. Compression is 150 psi before break in. I was considering doin one for myself.
I'm going to put this one on just to try out some timing changes and if it does good I'll be making the same changes to an OEM cylinder for that saw. If I didn't have the OEM one I wouldn't have a problem running this cylinder.

I have a 288 project coming up it has a big bore kit with no cr. I have a hy way kit for it stock with a cr. I want to give it to my other son. Then he has a 460, 570 and then the 288. He’s starting doing firewood. Like I did at 30yo.

I have CAD when it comes to piston/cylinder kits when there on sale.

I have a 288 project coming up it has a big bore kit with no cr. I have a hy way kit for it stock with a cr. I want to give it to my other son. Then he has a 460, 570 and then the 288. He’s starting doing firewood. Like I did at 30yo.

I have CAD when it comes to piston/cylinder kits when there on sale.
I didn't know they made a big bore cylinder for the 288. Who makes that cylinder? If you have a link to it I would like to check it out.

I ended up with a HyWay on my own 281 as well. I got similar port timing to yourself, only my squish is closer to .040. 156psi cold before set in. I set the intake for 73* and a touch wider. I'm looking for some more grunt, not too aggressively port it since it will be living on a farm with multiple users. So no squish tightening, just a slight exhaust massaging, no timing advance though she's acting like she wants some, I can't do it because I need this thing to be easily started. The xfers looked decent enough. She runs very well. I'm impressed.

I ended up with a HyWay on my own 281 as well. I got similar port timing to yourself, only my squish is closer to .040. 156psi cold before set in. I set the intake for 73* and a touch wider. I'm looking for some more grunt, not too aggressively port it since it will be living on a farm with multiple users. So no squish tightening, just a slight exhaust massaging, no timing advance though she's acting like she wants some, I can't do it because I need this thing to be easily started. The xfers looked decent enough. She runs very well. I'm impressed.

I had planed on putting the oem cylinder on mine but it runs so good I'm leaving the Hyway on it. It pulls a 30" bar in oak without a problem.

She's pulling well. Sounds just a touch rich. Your exhaust sounds similar to mine too. I'm running a 31" Tsumura light bar(102dl), and she pulls it effortlessly. If she holds up, I will be really impressed with this set up.
BTW, I have the Meteor piston with caber rings from the greek guys. I also noticed the bottom skirt was wide. She won't go in upside down at all. I guess it's not gonna slap so much? Shrug.

She's pulling well. Sounds just a touch rich. Your exhaust sounds similar to mine too. I'm running a 31" Tsumura light bar(102dl), and she pulls it effortlessly. If she holds up, I will be really impressed with this set up.
BTW, I have the Meteor piston with caber rings from the greek guys. I also noticed the bottom skirt was wide. She won't go in upside down at all. I guess it's not gonna slap so much? Shrug.
It's a stock muffler that I opened up and welded a half piece of pipe over the outlet to shield the chain brake.

KIMG0294.JPG KIMG0295.JPG

Latest posts

Back