I ported a timberpro 6150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt get much gain with just the bigger carb though because the intake diameter was still small. I could be convinced to print another for 25 bucks shipped. It does require you to mod the plastic firewall to fit the bigger intake.

Im still waiting on my 365/372 carbs, if they're not here in a week im getting my money back and ordering them elsewhere.
I bought a intake off leafy and made a copy of it for my other saw too.
I advanced the ignition timing on both saws 1/3 of the keyway, it gave them a bit more power and throttle response, I should've did it first lol.
I turned the 46 into a 52 with the right 5200 cylinder, the squish is .025 with no gasket, its ported just like the 46 but with a slightly widened intake in prep for the up coming bigger carb/intake. It runs a hair better then the 46 with a hair less rpm but less rpms dropped in big wood, I expect it to be better than the 46 when I add the bigger carb/intake with the stock carb its not worth changing it from a 46 to a 52.
Here's a pic of the intakes, leafy's on the left, fugly home made copy in the middle and the stock flange on the left. The new ones are 21mm inside, stock was 16mm, I may add the metal pipe to the inside of leafy's so it cant collaspe like my homemade one did without the pipe in it. I ran my home made intake before adding the metal pipe to the inside of it for a tank of gas on the 52 then it warped and started sucking air, there was no power gain with the stock carb tho.

Attachments

• DSCN0203.JPG
    DSCN0203.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 31
I was hoping you'd run it with a stock carb. I thought there might be gains but I guess not.

There might be if I put it on the 62, it has a 17.5mm carb while the 52 has a 16mm.
If you could find the carb for a 62 it would be an upgrade for the 5200 but it's hard to find parts for the 62cc versions of this saw. They don't appear to sell the 6150 timberpro anymore, some of the other 62's are 58's or 52's and the smaller carb fits on the 62 so they just sell you it.
Im going to wait for the bigger carb so I can put them both on the 62 at the same time, it should scream then, its not bad as is and plenty fast for me now lol.

So I got bored while waiting for my bigger carbs to show up and tried the bigger intake on its own...
Without touching the carb it was lean so its getting more air now for sure.
I gained 700rpm free revving and 500rpm in the cut. The 62 max revs 13900 and drops to 10800 while cutting now, it was cutting best at 13200/10300 with the stock intake. I can get it up to 14500 or so but it drops to 10000 while cutting so its faster and safer to run it at 13900, I tried it at 13000 and 13500 too, it dropped to 10500 while cutting if set lower than 13900. If I set it quite rich it still revs 12000 now lol.
The stock intakes get pinched by the divider making them even smaller than 16mm, which is hard to see in pictures.
I was wrong about the 62's carb being bigger, its only bigger at the choke it's still 16mm at the throttle plate.
Here's a pic of the intakes side by side and the tach showing max revs, I cant get a photo of the revs while cutting by myself.

Attachments

• DSCN0204.JPG
    DSCN0204.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 346
  • DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 31
So I installed the 45.2mm bore quad transfer top end after blowing up the 45mm dual transfer to end and Holy crap the quad transfers fresh out of the box is better than the ported dual transfer. Gets about the same rpm piss reving it and seems to have way more power in cut, I even ended up having to richen it up by half a turn on high. Strongly recommend, like it honestly don't feel inclined to take this apart to port it.

Wow that's the opposite of what happened when I put one on my 46/52.
What's your squish? mine was .075.
The 45.2mm cylinder I have is for the 34mm stroke 58/62cc motor not the 32mm stroke 46/52cc one which is why the squish was so big, if I could've milled it down it would've run fine.
My quad transfer 62cc timberpro gained power when I ground out the divider making it a normal open transfer port but it is 10cc bigger so it needs more transfer flow plus the 48mm bore has smaller transfers as they're not as deep.
The 43mm 46cc top end has the biggest transfers of the bunch which explains why it revs the highest of the bunch once ported.
If I get bored I may try all the different cylinders on the 62cc timberpro, the 43mm bore should scream but I'd need to stack base gaskets or make the piston a pop up so it would have some squish.

I didnt measure anything. Maybe I'll check squish, I just made sure it wasn't a head slammer like my first one. It definitely pulls a stronger vacuum through the carb because it took way less pulls to prime a dry carb than the old top end.

My 365 carbs finally showed up (the first ones I ordered no showed then I had to wait for new ones) this is crappy timing tho I don't have much to cut this time of year.
I also ordered 365 air horns and air filters hoping I could put them on too but they wont fit the air filter hits the plug.
I only put one on the 6150 timberpro so far. It's a pita but it fits and runs great.
To fit the 365 carb you need to cut off the white plastic throttle hook up and as much of the metal under it as you can, drill a hole in the throttle linkage in front of the choke like the Chinese saws have, bend the impulse fitting, cut 1/2 an inch off the impulse line, bend the throttle linkage ahead almost 1/2 an inch and shorten and rebend the choke lever. The fuel line rubs the throttle linkage so I put a bigger line over it so it doesn't wear a hole in it. I should get a longer fuel line and do it right tho.
I set the max rpm to 14000 to start with and it seams to like that setting, I noodled some fire wood in half, the saw held 11800 or so while noodling and has more balls, you can lean on it more than before.
Here's some pics.

Attachments

• DSCN0210.JPG
    DSCN0210.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0211.JPG
    DSCN0211.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0213.JPG
    DSCN0213.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0214.JPG
    DSCN0214.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 26
I put the bigger carb and intake on the 52 yesterday. The older cs4600 I have is a little different than the newer ones, I had to grind the cases behind the choke lever so the choke would work while the 62 has lots of room there.
It didn't gain as much power as the 62 did tho. It gained 500 or so rpm in the cut with more tq too but the 62 gained 1500 or so rpm. I never put a degree wheel on these saws, I think the 52 may have lower timing numbers than the 62 does as it revs 1000 rpm less free revving and cutting, it should be the other way around with the same everything except displacement, the smaller saw should rev more.
The 52 has really good tq tho and doesnt mind being leaned on with the bar buried so im going to leave it as is, it is my back up saw anyway.

Before I posted that the 52 and 62 were close in power once ported and to get the 52 as its cheaper, that's no longer the case, the little carb was holding the 62 way back, the 62 has quite a bit more snap and power than the 52 now.

So it looks like my quad transfer cylinder is probably like yours and for the longer stroke. I realized that June day also sells a 52cc "dual channel" cylinder that seems to have the same casting as the 58cc one I got.

I also did some more digging and it looks like the husqvarna 55 cylinders will physically bolt to these crank cases and maybe fit under the plastics. It's tempting to test that out to get another mm of bore and maybe a better design from the get go.

So it looks like my quad transfer cylinder is probably like yours and for the longer stroke. I realized that June day also sells a 52cc "dual channel" cylinder that seems to have the same casting as the 58cc one I got.

I also did some more digging and it looks like the husqvarna 55 cylinders will physically bolt to these crank cases and maybe fit under the plastics. It's tempting to test that out to get another mm of bore and maybe a better design from the get go.

If you could mill .040 thousand off the 58 cylinder then raise the ports the same amount it would likely run really good.
The 48mm 62cc timberpro cylinder will also bolt on the 52cc saws, it would need milled down just like the 58 tho, if you want more displacement.
If you dig on ebay you can find the 48mm ones, the 47.5mm 62cc ones are for the different 62cc saws with the inboard clutch.
There's a big bore 52cc 45mm quad transfer cylinder for the 52cc saws on ebay too but you never know if its the 58 repackaged.

I swapped the 52 back to 3/8lp, it came with it but the bar/chain were toast so I put .325 on it as I had everything I needed to do so.
These saws use the same 3/8lp bars as small stihls but need slightly longer chains, this worked out good for me. I bought a Chinese 14 inch ms170 bar and have a bunch of 52 link chains which are common poulan sizes and dirt cheap. The saw has a rim sprocket so I put a 7 tooth 3/8 on it easy peasy. This sped the saw up, I knew it would as it slowed it down when I switched from 3/8 lp to .325. The Chinese stihl bar I bought has the larger (for 3/8 lp) tip, the Oregon bars I have for poulans/homelites have a smaller tip, I could've made them work but hate the small tips, the chain comes off too easy.
I could do the same to the 62, it would cut cookies real fast if I did but it pulls the .325 like the 52 pulls 3/8lp plus I have a bunch of .325 bars/chains to use up.
I took a video of both saws cutting, the woods pretty soft so the saws look crazy fast lol.

Latest posts

Back