I tried an 8 tooth sprocket on my MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamarack56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tested on a newer Stihl MS 660 with a 25" bar

There is chainsaw fanatic in Portland OR that sells alot of Hot Saws on Ebay, he knows his stuff better than anyone I know, he recommends going to a bigger sprocket rather then increasing HP, so I had to try it.

I ended up going back to a 7 tooth standard Stihl sprocket that was stock when I bought it. I didn't notice enough of a performance increase to offset the minor nuisances.
1. The Chain did not pull smoothly over the bar by hand after installing it, it may have become smoother after using it. It was not a Stihl OEM part.
2. The chain tension differential became greater with the 8 tooth. I don't like to run too tight of a chain, but I don't like to run too loose of a chain. When adjusting the chain on the 8 tooth, it sags deeply in the middle and tightens alot more than the 7 tooth as you pull the chain manually across the bar when adjusting chain tension.
3, its also more difficult to take the bar on and off with the 8 tooth, unless you add another link to your chain. I had to adjust much further back to get my 84 link chain to fit on my 25" bar.

You are nOt referring to the idiot, KevlarGaffs/Piltz as the "hot saw" seller in Milwaukie? He is a douchebag. Sells small saws with really long Picco bars and chains. Has lots of videos of really bad cutting methods.

The 8 pin rim is not going to be very noticeable on a 660. Your chain will spin faster and with a 25 inch bar on a 660, but you are wasting torque with that size bar on that saw unless you are cutting gum trees in California, NZ or Oz. I have used an 8 pin rim running shorter bars on mid size 60-70 saws, and I notice the difference. Faster cutting in lighter wood. I would never run a shrimpy 25 on my 660, so I do not use that rim on my 660. I run 25s on my 361s with 7 pin rims, and sometimes a 20 inch with 8 pin rims. I ran my 440 and 441 with 25 bars and 8 pin rims, and 7 pins rims with the 28s. My 660 I run a 32 mostly, but drop to a 28 in harder wood.

As for the 8 pin being any problem with my saws, it is not. I generally swap bars when I swap rims though. And this is the big reason that I prefer inboard clutch saws (well, this and being able to remove the power head if I pinch a bar in a cut).

There is chainsaw fanatic in Portland OR that sells alot of Hot Saws on Ebay, he knows his stuff better than anyone I know, he recommends going to a bigger sprocket rather then increasing HP, so I had to try it.

I ended up going back to a 7 tooth standard Stihl sprocket that was stock when I bought it. I didn't notice enough of a performance increase to offset the minor nuisances.
1. The Chain did not pull smoothly over the bar by hand after installing it, it may have become smoother after using it. It was not a Stihl OEM part.
2. The chain tension differential became greater with the 8 tooth. I don't like to run too tight of a chain, but I don't like to run too loose of a chain. When adjusting the chain on the 8 tooth, it sags deeply in the middle and tightens alot more than the 7 tooth as you pull the chain manually across the bar when adjusting chain tension.
3, its also more difficult to take the bar on and off with the 8 tooth, unless you add another link to your chain. I had to adjust much further back to get my 84 link chain to fit on my 25" bar.

Hanny piltz? He's a ****. But I've bought a lot from him. I rarely use the 8 tooth sprocket I bought from him. But his felling spikes are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What u say here , I believe had you used a new chain with a new sprocket u would not have experienced these issues.
Chains stretch and gradually wear into the sprocket as they wear together. You put a stretched chain on a new sprocket it doesn't fit right or vise versa, either way your chain would climb the sprocket and cause these issues.
I usually run 8 on mine with a 25", when I go to the 32" bar and big wood I prefer 7. 8 gets better fuel efficiency making less time filling up your saw. If your cutting mostly very big wood, probably not so much. but bucking up say 20" firewood I like 8 tooth, felling a 30" tree I would prefer a 7.

What u say here , I believe had you used a new chain with a new sprocket u would not have experienced these issues.
Chains stretch and gradually wear into the sprocket as they wear together. You put a stretched chain on a new sprocket it doesn't fit right or vise versa, either way your chain would climb the sprocket and cause these issues.

I was going to mention the chain stretch as well, but I got side tracked. You nailed it though.

@windthrown nailed it. This piltz character is a clown. I tried an 8 pin on my 272xp with a 20"/ 3/8" setup. Made about 2 cuts and took it off. Anyone who tries to tell you an ms170 should have a 9 pin rim and 24" bar is either being totally dishonest, totally ignorant or a combination.

Well, The Piltz is still at it. Here is a Stihl MS250 that he is selling with a 28 inch B&C as a 'hot saw'. That saw cannot possibly oil that size bar. Never mind drive that size B&C, low profile or not. And it comes with giant falling spikes... attached to... a plastic case! Wonder how long they last?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILTZ-Stihl...822159?hash=item3f711f638f:g:9TAAAMXQVD1SKrYD

Well, The Piltz is still at it. Here is a Stihl MS250 that he is selling with a 28 inch B&C as a 'hot saw'. That saw cannot possibly oil that size bar. Never mind drive that size B&C, low profile or not. And it comes with giant falling spikes... attached to... a plastic case! Wonder how long they last?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILTZ-Stihl...822159?hash=item3f711f638f:g:9TAAAMXQVD1SKrYD
I found his hot saws on eBay disturbing. But he does have a YouTube video of that ms250 piltz saw cutting a really big fir if I remember right. Guess he made it for all guys that didn't think it was possible. In the vid the saw cuts amazing well but is this practical I still say no!

I just seen one of the D bags vids today. Had to wipe my stink wrinkle when I read the title. Hot rod kit lol.
Well I don't se him here or there defending himself or marketing his hot rod and hot rod accessories. I use to mill with a 46cc piped poulan 20" bc, and it did the job no problem. But it wasn't his hot rod kit lol

Back