ICB tote baskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awaiting pricing from a place. They told me 30 a piece if I bought at least 3. I asked for pricing on 20+. One employee yelled “we will pay you”. Another said that the boss would give me a call. That’s a double win because I know the boss drives a one ton suburban and I want one of those as well. You have to have a fleet account to order those

Customer of mine ordered 2 semi trucks full. Don't know where he got them. BUT, we did a test, cutting wood to 16" length, thrown in the cages, needed 4 to fit a stacked cord. Stacked in the cages, 3 = 1 cord. We stacked the cord outside of the cages, then re-stacked one, tossed in the other. He has his kids stack the wood in the cages as he splits it.

I'm in mid-eastern PA and was thinking about some of these for my own use next year as I am investing in a tractor with a loader (to be delivered shortly)
Any recommendations on types of places to source reasonably?

Local CL is going $50 - $100...?

I'm in mid-eastern PA and was thinking about some of these for my own use next year as I am investing in a tractor with a loader (to be delivered shortly)
Any recommendations on types of places to source reasonably?

Local CL is going $50 - $100...?
I’d say look around for ag processing facilities and bulk mulch producers. If you have any industrial areas nearby you could take a drive around and see if there’s any businesses with empty totes stacked up.

My local ag chem company won’t sell any because of their totes because of chemical residues but you might have better luck in your area. Usually the food safe ones bring more money, since they have more uses.

I’d say look around for ag processing facilities and bulk mulch producers. If you have any industrial areas nearby you could take a drive around and see if there’s any businesses with empty totes stacked up.

My local ag chem company won’t sell any because of their totes because of chemical residues but you might have better luck in your area. Usually the food safe ones bring more money, since they have more uses.
The chemical residue will be inside the bladders. Could you persuade them to pull the bladders out and sell just the cages to you?

-I started out with 1/3 cord wooden firewood racks I could lift with forklift. Great for staging and seasoning. Lots of stacking time, and hard to wrap for transport and delivery. I put a sheet of osb on both sides and strapped.
-Then I improved the wood rack making them 4' x 4' x 6' tall. Same issue however with lots of stacking and osb for delivery. More easily covered in winter, and 3/4 cord. Which lead to lots of time explaining, the odd quantity.
-Between the two styles there were seventy cord, until they began to rot and something different was needed.

The choices seemed to be use bulk bags with pallets under them, ICB totes, something custom made or converted like stackable racks, and wrappers like the Posch PackFix, which also needs pallets.

I eliminated stackable ICB off the list for a couple reasons.
They require stacking the wood. Not doing so would require a huge, huge number of them.
As for stacking, I could stack two high. Beyond that would require a very level hard surface to work from. I have gravel, but not flat enough for stacking three or four high.
Cost per tote, or actually cost per cord. Which varies of course where ever you are and the demand for them.
Empty totes, like my wooden firewood racks, take up a lot of room. I have limited space.
And the last factor for each choice was, would it have a resale value when I'm done doing firewood?

The main question for me is does it eliminate stacking?
And is it affordable per cord? X 70-100 cord. Thats a lot of stacking, and that's a lot of totes.
In my case I season for a year, so the turnover is slow, unlike some selling green firewood. And that leads to even more totes because I start processing now, in the spring, before I start selling and emptying totes.
-As most of you know, I went with pallets and the Posch PackFix. Bulk bags may be a better way, as I'm still figuring out how to load a dump trailer efficiently for deliveries. I love the Posch. Saves me a ton of work. Just figuring out the last piece of the puzzle. Put license plates on the trailer yesterday.
EDIT: I like pallets because as shown, I have a couple hundred to start this year with and they take up little room. As I unload pallets, the same, they take up little room. They last about four years with ground contact. I'm beginning double stacking, so only a little over half have ground contact and fewer covers.
ICB totes would work well for a limited number of cords or higher turnover frequency. They certainly last longer and that's a cost factor for sure at five, ten or twenty years.

View attachment 896570View attachment 896571View attachment 896572View attachment 896573View attachment 896574View attachment 896575View attachment 896576View attachment 896577View attachment 896578
Impressive! I like the hopper. I envisioned in my future dream home a stainless steel hopper beside my woodstove that could be loaded easily from outside. Still trying to picture a design that is aesthetically pleasing, but all I can picture now is an overground rabbit feeder:confused:

Awaiting pricing from a place. They told me 30 a piece if I bought at least 3. I asked for pricing on 20+. One employee yelled “we will pay you”. Another said that the boss would give me a call. That’s a double win because I know the boss drives a one ton suburban and I want one of those as well. You have to have a fleet account to order those
One ton Suburban, what a tough guy! I have a Tahoe and that's a solid ride alone!

I envisioned in my future dream home a stainless steel hopper beside my woodstove that could be loaded easily from outside. Still trying to picture a design that is aesthetically pleasing, but all I can picture now is an overground rabbit feeder:confused:
IMG_0006.jpg
Edit: Might not look too good in the living room but would work.

Ya I saw that earlier, awesome.
Not so much. The wood would jamb and cavern as splits were pulled out. Then touch the key stone piece and a quarter cord would drop, some pieces shooting out at pocket height. I did use it for a couple years, with some close calls. I did add doors on the side towards the back, which helped a lot. I reversed the end frame orientation to do that, and removed an internal slope that I had originally thought would help.

I had forty racks, and filled three at a time after the modification. They held 3/4 cord. The center rows did not season as well, but not bad. I got away from stacking, set the racks by the road and gave them all away. I see them all over being used, some by customers. It worked for a while.

IMG_2093.jpgIMG_2094.jpgIMG_2092.jpgIMG_2095.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0671.jpg

Not so much. The wood would jamb and cavern as splits were pulled out. Then touch the key stone piece and a quarter cord would drop, some pieces shooting out at pocket height. I did use it for a couple years, with some close calls. I did add doors on the side towards the back, which helped a lot. I reversed the end frame orientation to do that, and removed an internal slope that I had originally thought would help.
Wondering how it would work if walls tapered inwards towards the top would help the wood fall through, but even still, wood does like to jam

Latest posts

Back