Insert VS. Free-Standing Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I live, we've seen temperatures dip to -40 and when accompanied with a brisk breeze, windchill temps can reach -60+. We have two RSF Opal 2000 fireplace inserts. One upstairs and one in the basement. The one on the main floor will heat our 1800 square foot home even during the coldest winter nights. These inserts are serious heaters and very appealing to the eye. Not sure if they're still available. We've had ours for twenty years and they've been great. They're very efficient and throw plenty of heat. Here's a link. Our model is the second pic.

R.S.F. Air Tight Fireplaces

Reminds me of an other industy i used to be in. Went to Manitoba and the Hydro company were asking me to provide them with material specs for below -50F! When I looked puzzled they said "This is not a theoretical value over here". :msp_ohmy:

My guess your are in growing zone 7 or higher so first of all I would probably pick a unit that is designed for 1800 ft. I would not oversize your insert/stove.

Admittedly an insert probably is your cheapest bet because there likely will be fewer modifications to your existing system. I think they are fine 99% of the time until you lose power.

If money were no object personally, I would probably opt for a catalytic stove placed in front of the hearth. I think the catalytic stove would give you the best overall performance at a low burn rate which makes up the largest portion of your burning for a southern burner and if you are constantly away from home working it is even a better reason to go with the catalytic stove because of the longer burn times for a smaller unit.

Last edited:
Some of the other posts have it right: "inserts" are not very efficient, with or without a blower.

The wood stove in any case, has to be sealed through the throat of the fireplace in to a flue which is usually too large for most stoves without a proper SS liner to match the draft needs of the stove.

Most of the radiant heat of the insert stove is absorbed by the masonry mass and the too large chimney. Yes, some, some of the heat is stored and then radiates out. BUTT- More usable heat will come from the surfaces of a stove set out into a room.

Blowers to move "heat" are not effective, noisy, unromantic (if you care :eek2: ), and burnout in time anyhow. Better method to move heat is to circulate it with "muffin fans" in doorways blowing cold air INTO the room towards the wood stove. NOT "common sense" here.

Inserts are just inefficient , well-marketed wood stoves. More surface area radiating BTU's into the space, the better. Wood stoves (or inserts) are space heaters.

JMNSHO
Not true I had a choice between freestanding and insert and was advised by the stove guy it does not make much of a difference with whats out there these days, my insert does just fine heating 3200 sq ft, and he had no financial gains either way he was making money.

Back