Fireplace insert question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barclay berberian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a buckstove model 74 hooked to a stainless steel flexible liner inserted into my fireplace. The issue is that the depth of the fireplace is too deep for the stove to stick out into the room. I have not been able to figure out another solution. I believe the depth of the fireplace is 31 inches. See picture.

It provides ok heat to the one room it is in but does not get hot enough to heat larger area.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 17010349593562286052892941805337.jpg
    17010349593562286052892941805337.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
You can install a noncombustible material beyond the existing hearth to bring the stove out.

Also, insulate the damper/smoke shelf in the masonry chimney so heat goes out rather than up. I had our masonry chimney insulated at the top so all the chimney in the house acts as a heat sink. Its exposed from floor to ceiling and covered with fake stones.

You can install a noncombustible material beyond the existing hearth to bring the stove out.

Also, insulate the damper/smoke shelf in the masonry chimney so heat goes out rather than up. I had our masonry chimney insulated at the top so all the chimney in the house acts as a heat sink. Its exposed from floor to ceiling and covered with fake stones.
The hearth is made of tile so the stove could be pulled out. Just not able to hook it up to the flexible liner if I pull the stove out. Because there is no clearance on top of the stove to the top of the fireplace.

chimney block off plate

research this ^
Most report that it was well worth the effort.
Some actually go as far as insulating the masonry walls/surface around the insert as well. Really reflect the heat out.
I assume the Buck is utilizing a factory blower setup? A must have for insert heat transfer. Not sure what you will find here but another wood burning/heating site has some threads that you should easily find.

Aim to this when heating your house or garage.
That thermometer is in Celsius and measures the surface temperature of 6“ stainless steel chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_20231128_114556_092.jpg
    IMG_20231128_114556_092.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Aim to this when heating your house or garage.
That thermometer is in Celsius and measures the surface temperature of 6“ stainless steel chimney.

Not sure, but you may be talking about some different type of heater since that is a pretty low chimney temperature ( 87*C is about 189*F ) ?

Current EPA certified North American wood-stoves with catalytic burner or secondary combustion air tubes will have lot hotter chimney in my observation.

Some stoves have the flexibility to route the liner into either the rear or the top of the stove?

It does not make any sense to heat birds. Most of the energy must be stored somewhere. Maybe culture here is different.

Any insert i have owned only sticks out 6” or so. It’s the blower that pushes the heat out. Maybe yours is not up to the task.
Do you have a manual for the insert. It may be as simple as the size of the insert can only produce so many btu’s?

Latest posts

Back