interested in spurless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Climbers Companion is a good place to start for sure....if I can understand the presentation anyone can. Likely of more value is to work/hang out with someone who is spurless for at the least pruning jobs, and watch what he/she does.

simple method

The self tending system I am refering to is more basic than alot on here. If you can climb with a split tail and a blake hitch it will work. a taughtline will bind up on you, attach a micro oulley the biner holding the split tail and place your climging line through the pulley below the friction hitch, you can thrus upward hand over hand and the pulley will advance your hitch of you have a ground worker tend your slack other wize stop and pull your slack out with your other hand. you can climb several more feet then using the traditional body thrust and use less energy. the pulley system has value when limb walking as you can just tend your slack with one hand. main trick is to keep a short bridge between your split tail and hitch,, the schwabish is just another climbing hitch that advances easier and can be tied with a eye to eye cord

gaffs

im still amazed how you guys just walk up a tree using very little effort and no lanyard at times spike climbing ages me 5 years every time i do it lol

Jak-I"ll put it so you can understand, schwabisch=siwash, micro pulley=block, slack tender=hook tender, split tail=girlfriend left you, friction hitch=girlfriend has it, traditional body thrust=with girlfriend, pulley system=blocks for yarder, slack tend with one hand=time to get the girlfriend back. Just joking Jak, I too am puzzled but I am sure these guys know how to do it. Got no problems myself, maybe I'll try and get my groundsman to pull me up too!

ok...i've been looking at all your guys' stuff about the split tail self tending sysytems...basically i would like to learn to spurless so i can demand a raise, become more skilled, and get outta trimming hedges and pruning fruit trees... I'm gonna be teaching myself mostly...therefore i would like it simple yet efficient... (having one funtional eye makes things tough enough sometimes)...plus i probably won't be climbing this way on a regular basis so simple+good... what's the best gear for a simpleton... oh year and technical jargon boggles me...
word

Demand a raise cause you can climb spurlees? Thats a good one, Jak, did you like my explanations above?

makes sense to me...some trees here in vic you have to climb spurless or risk a fine (garry oak & arbutus) and there's money to be made in them... although i still maybe hold a bit of a redneck opinion towards it... if i'm up island and my friend wants me to trim some of his hemlock,spruce,cedar, fir, whatever trees, put em on... i've worked in the woods for many years an know how tough them trees are...they get scratched by bears and cougars, get smashed up by windfall or logging, blazed by engineers, whatever and they're fine... but some thin barked, spindly ass city tree...theyre kinda feeble and my spurmarks sometimes don't look so good on 'em!... Howlers bar still running?

Yeah, weekass city trees, I have eaten at Howlers restaurant, never gone to the bar I don't drink.

Dan-have you gone to the Asplundh yard and told the guys you ratted them out yet?

Wow, rats don't usually have that much jam, I am almost impressed, what did they say, or maybe they knew they would have to piece of thier supervisor, still amazing. Actually I'm at a loss for words.

Dan look to the beginning of this thread, Jak is a good decent spur guy at heart but trying to learn your way too, I asked people to help him and stayed away for a while, just a couple of jokes lately. Check it out from page one, since when do you decide anyways, and we who spur in the bush do get paid way more than anyone in the city, spurless or not.

The big problem I see is that Clearance is spouting off about residential spurless tree care when that is not his forte. But when someone mentions anything about utility work, he goes off like he invented it. Clearance, I respect what you do, but leave tree care to the pros and we'll leave utility work to you.

Some of you talk about utility like you have a clue, you would be electrocuted in no time cause you don't and have no right giving advice about it. Climbing with spurs in utility is allowed by my utility which employs ISA cert. guys, so do something about that or shut up. I have done lots of res. almost all removals, trees are just trees, not statues of the Virgin Mary. Besides, you spurless guys outnumber me like 30-1 here, what are you scared of, freedom of speech? I did not invent utility Red, but I respect the men who taught me and do as they say. Yes, I know spurless is better for the trees, climb however you want, rig however you want, no hard feelings, at least with you.

Many places have a very high ratio of residential climbers who spike. In other words clearance is the norm for residential in the real world. Maybe it's just the south. Yes, I grow weary of clearance at times, but I say let him spout off for now, maybe something good will come from the chaos. Maybe an elementary education of homeowners will take root in reaction to his mindset.

jeez..heavy stuff here...ummm... so i need to get a micropulley, a chunk of spliced rope to tie onto my climbing line (how long?), a swivel snap for my micropulley...is this right?...i ordered some stuff from wesspur so i imagine they've got it...off this topic onto the hot topic: i find that clearance adds colour to this site, i can rap about windfirming with him... and his posts are amusing...conflict keeps things spicy...
word

fair

Redbull said:
The big problem I see is that Clearance is spouting off about residential spurless tree care when that is not his forte. But when someone mentions anything about utility work, he goes off like he invented it. Clearance, I respect what you do, but leave tree care to the pros and we'll leave utility work to you.
well said and fair

shocked

rebelman said:
Many places have a very high ratio of residential climbers who spike. In other words clearance is the norm for residential in the real world. Maybe it's just the south. Yes, I grow weary of clearance at times, but I say let him spout off for now, maybe something good will come from the chaos. Maybe an elementary education of homeowners will take root in reaction to his mindset.
by me no res. climbers spike you would be shot by the homeowner or persued by an angry crowd when you came down

body thrust

1I'dJak said:
jeez..heavy stuff here...ummm... so i need to get a micropulley, a chunk of spliced rope to tie onto my climbing line (how long?), a swivel snap for my micropulley...is this right?...i ordered some stuff from wesspur so i imagine they've got it...off this topic onto the hot topic: i find that clearance adds colour to this site, i can rap about windfirming with him... and his posts are amusing...conflict keeps things spicy...
word
learn da basics, rope 150' small for your area i know but yer learning, saddle ya got one? throw bag line , set rope some where low around the main trunk clove hitch around bottom dees ( seat) back up half hitch around rope leave slack on this piece or tail a few inches longer than your arm shoulder to fingertips tie the tautline hitch with this. back up after the knot with an overhand jam knot or figure eight lean back place feet against tree hip thrust to the sky while siultanaelousy pulling your rope down hold at bottom and slide the knot up. if you feel that this is difficult you could be doing it right keep us posted and hold off on the doodads for now

Back