interested in spurless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jak, Sherrill arbor supply would be a good place for you to start learning. GREAT cataloge with many tips. They have the Tree climbers companion book. For short climbs, 10'-15', hip thrust method is ok, but longer Id use footlock. More vertical for energy used. I try to use the KISS theory as much as possible, plus Im really lazy.

thanks guys...i've just got a throwline kit... my saddle is a weaver...lanyard dees and fixed side dees for the seat...as i mentioned before i think a lot of companies around here spur up the trees (even the ones you're not allowed to: garry oak and arbutus..madrone in the us i think) and nobody has ever said boo to us...but here in canada and especially vancouver island we're a little more backwoods... however i'm into learning and getting good enough that my boss won't wonder why i'm wasting time not spurring...

ha ha! did 'er....footlocked my way up a garry oak in our backyard.... just set my self up for rappelling....except more length on from my dees to my blakes... easier in my running shoes with no heel... also put my ascender under my blakes and that made it easier... took a bit getting used to but i got the idea...fun... took a bit more time than it wood spurring up it but it was fun!
word

Good for you Jak, soon you will be a more versatile climber than me, the more tricks in your bag, the better. I'll just stay in the backwoods, away from the civilized folk.

yeah well i think the only real climbing i'm gonna be doing is on my weekends.. tis the season here in vic for fruit trees and hedges... trimming a hedge on friday made me want to quit... gonna be moving to a different locale where there's less of this...probably gonna split between res and windfirming...but like a mentioned before the big firming outfit on the island REM went tits up... they kinda get all the work and subcontract it out...so i dunno... i really hate the hedges and fruit trees though!

Jak, I almost hate to say this but try and stick it out for a while, you will become a much more rounded treeguy. I am a hammer it down, clearcut, production type, others are ISA people who are good at pruning little trees with handsaws, if you can do hedges, spurless, fall, windfirm, prune and maybe do utility, you will be able to do any tree work in the province.

yeah you're right man... it just ain't very glamourous sitting up in an apple tree snip snip snipping away...maybe if i was working for myself it kinda peaceful...and sitting up in the middle of a 15' wide leyland hedge gettin poked in the ass and tangled up speaks for itself...but do my time then i can eventually send some kid up there to do it while i drive around, do estimates and do the fun jobs!-

i've noticed when footlocking i have a better feel when i'm wearing my running shoes as opposed to my work boots...i'd like to find a shoe/boot that has the feeling of a shoe but the safety of a workboot... any suggestions?

Back