Is This Crab Apple? ...... (Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just finished some splitting in this nice 40 degree weather.

My 70yr old knowledgeable tree neighbor told me this is Crab Apple ...I thought it was Elm.... Got some bluish to the bark..somewhat stringy. Smells nice but not a strong apple scent. Any quick thoughts?

100_1820.jpg

100_1819.jpg

100_1818.jpg

AND I THOUGHT THIS WAS WHITE OAK BUT THEN I SPLIT IT AND IT SEEMS RED TO ME. BARK IS WHITEISH.

100_1822.jpg

100_1823.jpg

100_1824.jpg

Last edited:
2nd one's definitely red oak. I've seen mucho variation in the bark of red oaks.

First one does look like some sort of apple.

Nah.

It's MTD. You can tell by the cast iron wedge and the stamped log dislodger.

:confused:

What?

Oh, the wood! Gotcha. Sorry. :(

:D

Yer bolts coming loose there. Better tighten it up a bit so you don't lose it while you're splitting.

:cheers:

Yes it's apple and red oak. As already been said the bark on red oak can look different from one part of the tree to another. White looking because the outside is starting to get punky

Learn something every-day.
I was thinking wild cherry and red-oak.

I'm burning some now, thought it was cherry.

MB, apple and cherry do look a bit similar, but cherry (mature) has much bigger flakes/scales on the bark. Younger shoots are smooth. Also, the wood on cherry is more evenly colored throughout vs the 2-tone look on the apple.

Here's a closeup of some cherry in the truck from yesterday:

attachment.php

Repost of one of the OP's original pics, for easier spotting of the differences:

100_1818.jpg

Looks like the crabapple I split a couple of years ago. Been selling it for smokers. Everyone that has purchased it love it, even better then pure apple. I have not burned any but am told it is right up there with oak and locust.
Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back