Sycamore & Apple Tree Disease or? Pics included.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepWoodsSquatch

Reaction score
Good Morning. I hope I can get some good advice on this forum. First post for me. I'm in northwest Oklahoma.

My sycamore tree has been in the ground a little more than a year. Growth has been fine. This spring, the bottom 5 branches did not get leaves on them. The top branches leafed out fine, but the leaves don't look healthy. I watered it through the winter and gave it a little fertilizer this spring. We have already hit 100 degrees a couple times, but it has since cooled off. No herbicide has been sprayed anywhere close to the tree. I have sprayed once with fungicide. Pics below.

My apple trees have been in the ground about a month. One looks somewhat healthy, but the leaves are curled a little. The other (pics below) doesn't look so great and I now have brown spots on the leaves. No herbicide anywhere close. I have sprayed once with fungicide. Watering is regular.

Sorry for the blurring in some of the pics, the wind is up today.

Sycamore first 4 pics, then 2 pics of apple. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0176.jpeg
    IMG_0176.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0177.jpeg
    IMG_0177.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image_67177217.JPG
    image_67177217.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
The sycamore with the leaf tissue distortions most certainly has been injured by a broad leaf herbicide. The apple leaves could be showing signs of a fungus possibility scab.

That has the look of herbicide damage on the sycamore tree, which is why we are suggesting it. Herbicide damage from an adjacent property is seldom found on only a very few plants, so do some scouting around. Look at any broadleaf plants (everything from dandelions to weed-trees) on the field's margins, and every where else on your property. You are looking for more of those curling leaves.

If you find some more examples, that's a good sign you got hit by some off-target herbicide drift. There was another similar thread on that topic recently. You might get lots of information from reading it, as the topic was thoroughly discussed.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/tree-damage-from-crop-spraying.360136/

That has the look of herbicide damage on the sycamore tree, which is why we are suggesting it. Herbicide damage from an adjacent property is seldom found on only a very few plants, so do some scouting around. Look at any broadleaf plants (everything from dandelions to weed-trees) on the field's margins, and every where else on your property. You are looking for more of those curling leaves.

If you find some more examples, that's a good sign you got hit by some off-target herbicide drift. There was another similar thread on that topic recently. You might get lots of information from reading it, as the topic was thoroughly discussed.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/tree-damage-from-crop-spraying.360136/
There are other fields around, so I may have caught some drift. I have a Japanese Cherry Tree about 50 feet west of the sycamore and it appears fine. My hydrangea in the same yard are fine. My garden is about 100 feet south of the sycamore and everything is in good shape. It's a herbicide mystery I guess.

Latest posts

Back