Is this truck sufficient as a chipper truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apachedesert

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of adding light chipping to my stump grinding business. I do not have the funds for a traditional chipper truck, but it seems to me the truck in the pic below would suffice for my needs for small to medium chipping needs. Wondering what you guys think. I would add more wire mesh to the rear behind the cab window. Thankstruck.jpg

You are so right. That glass looks vulnerable. Do you think I'd be okay on the weight with chips considering I would be pulling a 12 inch chipper?

Looks like a 4500 from the picture. What motor?
I think that would make a fine first chip truck. Eventually get it on a scale to see how much you can load her. I would think fully loaded you will be over weight. Just got to know your limitations.

Unfortunately, it is a 3500. I like your common sense reply. Jed. I would do my best to never overload, and would probably only do small jobs and dump after each job. Motor is
8.1L V8 OHV 16V Gas, not diesel

You are so right. That glass looks vulnerable. Do you think I'd be okay on the weight with chips considering I would be pulling a 12 inch chipper?
Its always what you cut. The hard wood will be more then the soft wood. You have to tested with the hard wood, load it 3/4 see whats the scale is. Then you have idea where you are. Good luck.

Thanks Gugi! the way, Jed, I see your Fred Sanford picture. Do you remember his Aunt Esther in the TV show? I actually met her about 20 years ago, and we were both drinking wine at an event. She had me on the floor laughing By saying "you ole fished eyed fool" over and over again, while she made that angry face.

8.1 will pull good, but drinks a lot o fuel..
Expect about 5 mpg pulling your chipper with a load.
Still, I don't think it would be bad for small chip jobs. Definitely board the rear of the cab though. Plywood will hold up for a while and it's cheap.

Thanks Gugi! the way, Jed, I see your Fred Sanford picture. Do you remember his Aunt Esther in the TV show? I actually met her about 20 years ago, and we were both drinking wine at an event. She had me on the floor laughing By saying "you ole fished eyed fool" over and over again, while she made that angry face.

Drinkin with Aunt Esther, that's classic!

Back then there were answering machines with cassette tapes. I met up with her a few days after that night and had her record my answering machine voice. It was something like "He ain't home now, dammit. Leave a message you fish eyed fool! It lasted for years until I accidentally erased it.

Also make sure your GVW rating can handle a load of chips while towing that chipper. We have a truck that is rated so you can only put in a 1/2 load of chips while towing a 12" chipper, so we use a 9".

Unfortunately, it is a 3500. I like your common sense reply. Jed. I would do my best to never overload, and would probably only do small jobs and dump after each job. Motor is

Provided it is mechanically Sound, it will do what you need until your business grows.

A 12" chipper will fill that up fast.

Thanks Hsell..........I actually have a choice here that I am on the fence about. I have not laid the money down for that 3500 yet. I also have an opportunity to buy a Diesel 7.3 450 with a smaller dump bed, 9 ft. Taking into consideration future growth and the weight issue, would you go for that 450 instead? It has no side rails at all. I would have to build some sort of box, which I would have to learn how to do. So, I either go for the 3500 with somewhat of a box already there, but will always have concerns about weight, or get the diesel 450 with a smaller bed and build a box. What would you guys do?

I have 2 3500 chevys as chip trucks,had them for years. What does the chipper weigh?

So, if you could have a 2004 Chevy gas 3500 with a 12 foot bed and somewhat of a box already in place, or a 1994 Ford Diesel 7.3 450 with a smaller dump bed, 9 ft and no side rails, which would you want more? Taking into consideration future growth and the weight issue, would you go for that 450 instead? It has no side rails at all. I would have to build some sort of box, which I would have to learn how to do. So, I either go for the 3500 with somewhat of a box already there, but will always have concerns about weight, or get the diesel 450 with a smaller bed and build a box. What would you guys do?

So, if you could have a 2004 Chevy gas 3500 with a 12 foot bed and somewhat of a box already in place, or a 1994 Ford Diesel 7.3 450 with a smaller dump bed, 9 ft and no side rails, which would you want more? Taking into consideration future growth and the weight issue, would you go for that 450 instead? It has no side rails at all. I would have to build some sort of box, which I would have to learn how to do. So, I either go for the 3500 with somewhat of a box already there, but will always have concerns about weight, or get the diesel 450 with a smaller bed and build a box. What would you guys do?

I don't think you notice that much difference between the 2: personally, either could be over loaded.

If you need something now, go for the Gas Burner.

If you would rather have an Oil Burner, go with the Ford.

I can get either today............I just don't want to make a good decision. On the 3500 gas it has an 8.1, and the bed is bigger, plus it's already got a sort of box built already as you can see in the pic at the top of this thread. Plus, and I forgot to tell you, it also has a hydraulic lift on the back that obviously would have to be lowered while dumping. I like the idea of that lift. The Diesel is older, but has under 70K miles, smaller bed, nothing resembling a box, but it is a manual shift, which I really like. I would love the idea of zero transmission problems moving forward. I am really on the fence

Latest posts

Back