Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Jobs you walk away from because of the owner

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by Kel71, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Kel71

Kel71 ArboristSite Member

What "sets you off " that you just walk away from a job?

2. old guy

old guy Addicted to ArboristSite

Back in the 70s, a friend & I were cutting a lot of the Dutch Elm stuff.
    We were all rigged up to pull & cut a large Elm which had great potential to destroy a guys house, when he came out with a camera & took pic of us & the tree & his house. We were just firewood hacks with no insurance or anything.
    It went well but probably one we should have backed off of.

northmanlogging and Jakers like this.
  3. Jeffsaw

Jeffsaw ArboristSite Member

I have a hard time working for rude people. Cheapskates are no fun to deal with either. Sometimes I’ll give a high estimate and hope they don’t call back or will refer them to an expensive tree service. There are too many good clients out there to have to work with jerks.

4. capetrees

capetrees Addicted to ArboristSite

Went to work at a condo association for the property manager trimming some branches away from the road and buildings. Small job, was going to do it for nothing. As I was working, one "lady" comes out and sees the crew, me and two guys, standing there waiting for a branch to drop as I cut it. She proclaims " I hope were not paying you guys by the man!" and continues on. We continue to cut and she comes by again, "who the f%#k are you guys working for anyway?", I told her and off she goes. A couple of limbs later, "when are you f*#king guys going to finish?". We then went to go trim some final limbs in front of what I didn't know was her store. "Oh great, you guys are gonna cut the only f*#king shade I have in this f*#king store?! Don't cut anything till I make a f*#king call!", This is all around 9 am! At that point, I told the guys to pack it up, we're leaving. We cleaned up, packed up, got a coffee then got in the truck to leave. As we drove by the store nice and slow on this very narrow one way street, she comes out to the truck as we pass and says we're clear to cut the branches. I tell her, as we roll by, almost face to face, "Suck my di*k"

Coffee all over the windshield from the inside from the guys laughing

5. Kel71

Kel71 ArboristSite Member

I can't stand dealing with drunks or druggies. I just won't do it. Some times old people are a little tight on their purse strings. Things don't cost a nickel anymore.

6. Oldmaple

Oldmaple Addicted to ArboristSite

Had a potential customer once ask me how come it costs so much to take a tree down. He was willing to pay 4 or 500 dollars for this particular tree. Told him it would take a day and you would have more in direct labor costs than what you are willing to pay for that tree. You'd be in the hole without the costs of running saws, driving trucks up and down the road, etc. Told him to check Craigslist and maybe he could find a couple of guys willing to split $500 for a weekend of work. Then he started moaning about them probably not insured, messing up his yard, etc. Glad he wasn't interested. Missed appointments bug me too, two chances then I go on to the next job. Two quotes without getting any work (one this year, one the next for example) and I won't quote the next job. People will use your quote to get someone else to lower their price.

7. Jakers

Jakers Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC

I get that all too often this time of year. Irritating to say the least. I also have a similar estimate rule, 3 strikes and you're out or you'll pay very dearly. I once told a guy that I'd take his small tree down for $10k because I was tired of wasting my time on him

teacherman, thetoolnut and Oldmaple like this.
  8. Benjamin S Pendleton

Benjamin S Pendleton ArboristSite Lurker

I instantly Jack the price up when the home owner starts telling me how to trim a tree. I own one the highest rated company in the area and your gonna tell me how to trim your tree? That's gonna be 300 extra for putting up with you!

Oldmaple, thetoolnut and Jakers like this.
  9. Little Al

Little Al Addicted to ArboristSite

I always walk away from a request to go look at a job the customer says I guess I/we should do it this way whats your take on it as you are the expert & when you put forward your thoughts etc. & then he/she argues with me I usually say "well you know how you're going to do it a walk away

10. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

Constant nagging questions about the price, can i do it quicker, can i do it cheaper, who else can i recommend...

Know what here's my price take it or leave it, by the hour because you keep changing your mind, later i got **** to do.

Skin heds... ****ing nazis think I'm one of thiers or something? So i make up some astronomical price mention something about being booked fer 6 decades and bog off before i do something rash

teacherman and Jakers like this.