How Would You Tackle This Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
My boy and I were doing some shooting in the backyard yesterday and upon walking back to the house, I noticed this walnut tree. We have had some severe storms and had a tornado rip the doors off my barn a few weeks ago, so im guessing the wind twisted this one to make it look like this. It's just weird because it is in between two other walnuts that don't show any damage.

So obviously this tree needs to come down. The question is, what is the best method with risking it going to hell? There is no worry of it hitting anything on the way down besides another tree which doesn't concern me.

Opinions....
20230404_182410.jpg
20230404_182419.jpg20230404_182427.jpg20230404_182440.jpg

Lightning strike. I'd drop it. Instead of cutting a wedge out. I would chase the cut with several plastic wedges. That close splinter lines would be my direction of travel. I'd expect it to want to barber chair then collapse on it's self. Maybe just a slight notch

Yeah, after looking at pictures of trees struck by lightning, that was definitely the cause. I just wonder why we didn't hear it.

Anyway, I cut it like normal, and aimed it into the nearby cornfield. It was a very windy day and I probably should've waited but I was afraid it would fall down before I was ready if I waited because it was supposed to storm again today. Anyway, I learned that wedges from Walmart are completely useless. The first one broke the first time I hit it, and the second one broke after a few hits. Luckily the wind was in my favor and helped push the tree exactly where I hoped it would go.

I would have wrapped a trucker strap or chain binder around the trunk above my felling cut to hold it together. Lightning for sure. It is a steam explosion and will cause many interior cracks. Unlikely to get any lumber, but maybe some crafting pieces out of the tree.

Yeah, after looking at pictures of trees struck by lightning, that was definitely the cause. I just wonder why we didn't hear it.

Anyway, I cut it like normal, and aimed it into the nearby cornfield. It was a very windy day and I probably should've waited but I was afraid it would fall down before I was ready if I waited because it was supposed to storm again today. Anyway, I learned that wedges from Walmart are completely useless. The first one broke the first time I hit it, and the second one broke after a few hits. Luckily the wind was in my favor and helped push the tree exactly where I hoped it would go.
How did you position your cut in relation to the apparent crack? Did you strap the tree?

Back