Just picked up a set of spikes...how to learn to use them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gaffing out is only scary when you are free climbing, done it before a couple of times. As far as gaffing out when your steelcore is around the tree, it is no big deal if you are just climbing and not running a saw. You will spur back in after a couple of feet as long as you are climbing properly (like people have told you here). When you are pushing of the top with one hand and one hand on your 020, make sure that your spurs are stomped in real good.

update...

Today I got them and strapped them on for the first time. I was just messing around adn I have to say, it's definitely not as erasy as it looks. It seems like they do not really want to bite in enough to trust them. How do I know if it is my technique or if the gaffs need sharpening/replacement? They definitely are the long gaffs for trees, not the little stubby ones for utility poles. Further similar question...how do you sharpen the gaffs? And last question...I had them strapped as close as possible to the heel of my boots...should they be there or closer to the arch? Thanks,
J.D.

First off, NEVER walk around on the ground (especially concrete) while wearing your gaffs. Treat the sharp gaffs just as you would your chainsaw teeth. It only takes one or two steps on concrete to trash the point.

Two, go to Sherrill or Bailey's and look up gaff maintenance tools. You need a file guide and flat file. It will contain detailed instructions on maintaining the gaff point. Basically you always file from the inside edge and maintain the same profile.

Three, the climbers should ride in the arch of your foot, locked against the heel of your boot. This is why you need a boot with a defined heel. You can't wear them over sneakers or Topsiders. :laugh:

Yeah I knew the thing about not abusing the gaffs, but it needed to be said. I was rereading the posts about what kind of boots were acceptable...and I see I was being an idiot by putting them on my heel. That may be the entire problem. I'll see what sorta stuff they have at Bailey's for gaff maintenance and try again tomorrow with the spikes mounted correctly. Thanks Brian,
J.D.

boots like these are pretty much all i wear, is long as there is a little heel they will stay put. i only sharpen them about once or twice a year with a flat file while their locked in a vice. as long as your on a vertical stick or with the lean and you gaff out you'll be fine. the gaff's will find a home. it's when your on the back side of the lean that you can get hurt.

last summer i was on the backside of a lean only because i didn't want to waiste time moving my rope through a crotch. and i slipped on a smooth bark tree. i dropped about 10 feet till my lanyard caught a crotch. i instinctively wrapped my arm around the tree and burned the crap out of the inside of my arm..........that'll learn me.:D

Thanks...how long will a set of gaffs last(see my related question in teh pro forum about Brooks gaffs) if properly maintained and not walked on concrete of while you're on the ground. I did a little better today until I broke one of the leather straps..so i have to wait for my new ones to get here before I get back to messing with it. I see why you all say this is a bad practice for use on living trees...they tear the bark to pieces.

update

Thanks to all for the advice. I have been playing at this spiking thing for a few days..every climb I've been a little more successful. I haven't been over 10 feet off the ground with spikes yet, and I have managed to gaff out a couple of times, and even had a gaffe with my gaffs, by falling flat on my arse! But thankfully only from 5'up. I have a new level of respect for you guys who work with these things...it ain't as easy as it looks. My biggest concern as it were is neutering myself getting the family jewels in intimate contact with the spar:dizzy: , or going high before I am really ready. I have a healthy respect of this....I know what high is from rope climbing...and I really don't want to fall from those heights...so the second is unlikely(I hope) but the first...I really don't want to be neutered... so thanks for the advice..and keep it coming, but I'm going to take it slow and make sure I know what I'm doing before I start doing anything more,
J.D.

JD. Set a line above you with a traditional DdRt system and take up slack as you climb-falling becomes impossible-(slipping still sucks the hairy moose lips) If you are on a pole or something that precludes shooting a line above you then climb with a full wrap on the pole with your lanyard-agaffing out will still make your heart go pitter patter but you wont actually fall.

Stumper...most of my stuff is true pole...no limbs wortha darn. They were the only trees I would butcher liek this...dead or on teh way out. One or two poles around her ethough have decent limb structure and are dead so I will set a line in those when I get ready to go higher. Already tie in witha lanyard before climbing, although I have cheated once or twice since I didn't thinka fall from 5-10 feet would cause my death or disability. Thanks for the advice,
J.D.

as far as boots go, Georgia Loggers have been by best experience. I had a pair rebuilt while i was working in Texas, and they gentleman who rebuilt them said they were the toughest boots he'd ever worked on in his 35 years of bookmaking and repair. Though a little pricey, they definately have been better suited and lasted longer than any other brand that i've used.

also, I worked as a groundie for a guy years ago who climbed with a timber hitch tied around the trunk and attatched to the center D of his saddle. he took a spill once, and fell only about 2 feet, rather than 50+, until the hitch caught and stopped him. I have climbed like this a couple of times, when I thouht it appropriate for the situation. I guess it only works well out here on the east coast, I dont know how it would work moving the hitch up and down those monsters out on the west coast...

BlackenedTimber

what size are you? i have a pair of georgia boot's i only used for 2 weeks that i want to sell cheap, there size 12.
ken

BlackenedTimber said:
ken, i just realized you in orange county, NY. I have offices in Sullivan and Rockland counties, north and south of you. Huh, were probly stepping all over each other's toes...

i prefer to climb i hiking boot's i just find them more comfortable. high heels are for chic's:D . i do the commute and work in the city. do you do much land clearing? i'm looking for soft wood, pine or poplar like 8-9in stuff but straight stuff like forest tree's to practice triple cuts for competition's. i'll come and pick it up if you could tell me where your working.

thanks
ken

Diesel JD said:
kf-sebd me an IM and tell me how much you want for those Georgia Loggers, might be interested. I'm in around that size range.

i sent you a pm, here are some pics, a little oil and they will look new again.

Back