Large pine removal advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 647848 I now have a pole just going to pull it down tomorrow. The climbing line is amazing but my micro pulley rig sucks!! It falls below my saddle rings so I have to pull up super high on every time I tend the slack. I have it setup just as the tree climbers companion example but I don’t like it at all
Watch the power lines!

20180422_000637.jpg
View attachment 647849
See how the micro is way below my Blake’s? I tried using a prussik to the working line and it kept twisting/fouling up the pulley and it just wasn’t working that way so???
Get you some small cordage like pull cord make you a Prussic put it on the standing part of your drt and the pulley connected to it when your weight is in saddle slide the Prussic up until the micro pulley is against your taught line. Then when you pull down on the running side the pulley will auto advance your knot making it self tend!

It will prolly feel better if you capture both middle dees instead of the open configuration your picture shows. At least I prefer it closed some like a spreader. Anyway Get it dialed in and your efforts will be captured making it easier AND MUCH MORE EFFICIENT. Of course not as efficient as srt lol .

Hummmm- well said and fair enough!! I don't disagree- It's dangerous for sure! I think the liability thing is a bit childish however I'm not on here to point fingers just consult with more experienced operators/arborist as I'm obviously not one.
I've spent the last 15years maintaining several varieties of rotorcraft airframes- If you have any questions- I'd do my best for you- that's just how our crew works
I've always been taught to figure it out- I was thinking this forum could offer some help- maybe I was wrong on that one??
Everyone is sort off offering advice but not really-
Ryan- its really not that big of a deal and this isn't a riddle- BEST WAY TO GET MY CLIMBING LINE INSTALLED WITHOUT SPIKING ANOTHER 20FT DOING LIMB-OVERS ON A 2 IN 1 LANYARD?
Or is it safest to temporarily install my false crotch over the limb, cut the limb, and continue up the tree and just keep pushing my false crotch/safety line up the tree while flip-lining to maintain the safest climb?
I think what folks are trying to say is that everyone here would hate for you to be seriously injured or even killed from doing work they understand to be extremely hazardous.

When I first arrived here, shared my background, and asked for some advice, the guys called the police and WW3 telling her I was contemplating suicide. I told them I wanted to take down an average size oak and that I had a habit of blowing up everything.

Honestly, for the price of all the gear to do these the right way, yourself, you could have just had a tree service come in and do it in a day or two, and never have to worry about any of it hah. Don't get me wrong, I started the same way, in my backyard, a long time ago, but I was already working on the ground for a tree service, and I knew I wanted to do it, and the gear would pay for itself.

Make sure you're tying your hitch correctly. That's not a blakes. Also buy yourself a damn helmet. You can get one for less than $50, no excuse.
As for your micro pulley problems do the little prussik cord thing and it will be adjustable for where you want your hitch. Or you could buy a few feet of tech cordage while you're ordering your helmet and make an eye to eye and learn some different hitches.

Make sure you're tying your hitch correctly. That's not a blakes. Also buy yourself a damn helmet. You can get one for less than $50, no excuse.
As for your micro pulley problems do the little prussik cord thing and it will be adjustable for where you want your hitch. Or you could buy a few feet of tech cordage while you're ordering your helmet and make an eye to eye and learn some different hitches.
Alright no problem- I’ll order a helmet- I don’t disagree- and I’ll try the prussik again I think I know what I did wrong I didn’t capture my climbing line and tail within the caribener clip and the prussik kept spinning the pulley backwards and fouling everything up. As far as the Blake’s goes I followed the companion book and several animated knot sites- I practiced it a **** ton and that final 60ft repel it worked just fine? Maybe it’s just a bad view?

If you wait long enough, the tree will die and rot and you won't need to climb at all. Only been 20 days since you started this takedown.:innocent:
Yeah I know- when I started here for help I had gear and original plan was traditional drt. However- I changed to split tail which was another order from wespur and I’m in virginia. Changed my mechanical on my flip line to a hip prussik so I have a 2 n 1- another order. All the changes have made for safer and more efficient climbing so I don’t mind the waiting- your guys are driving me to learn more and go about this whole thing as safely as possible. You want to know what’s even funnier about your timeline comment- - - this isn’t even the original tree I posted in the beginning so you can keep on counting you guys pushed me into this smaller tree- it’s the safer call until I learn my gear

Looks more like some variation of an english prusik. Look at a correctly tied blakes again and you will see the ends are exit opposite each other, not on the same side. Not trying to nitpick but life support knots need to be tied, set, and dressed correctly.
Thank you for taking the helmet thing seriously. It's cheap insurance. No one wants to be reading about you or anyone else's accident report.

Alright no problem- I’ll order a helmet- I don’t disagree- and I’ll try the prussik again I think I know what I did wrong I didn’t capture my climbing line and tail within the caribener clip and the prussik kept spinning the pulley backwards and fouling everything up. As far as the Blake’s goes I followed the companion book and several animated knot sites- I practiced it a **** ton and that final 60ft repel it worked just fine? Maybe it’s just a bad view?
nope that was not what you did wrong

Honestly, for the price of all the gear to do these the right way, yourself, you could have just had a tree service come in and do it in a day or two, and never have to worry about any of it hah. Don't get me wrong, I started the same way, in my backyard, a long time ago, but I was already working on the ground for a tree service, and I knew I wanted to do it, and the gear would pay for itself.
Yeah I don’t really know how you can make that statement? I have slightly over 600 bones in gear? I guess you haven’t had any recent estimates here in northern Virginia but I have 5 of these trees to take down and there all minimum 60ft-
I honestly didn’t get estimates cause some guys I work with have had some dropped and there’s were all $1000/tree and there’s could all be dropped out in the open. It’s just the area - these rich ass yuppies around here in the Tesla’s and Benz’s don’t mind that little money

Yeah I don’t really know how you can make that statement? I have slightly over 600 bones in gear? I guess you haven’t had any recent estimates here in northern Virginia but I have 5 of these trees to take down and there all minimum 60ft-
I honestly didn’t get estimates cause some guys I work with have had some dropped and there’s were all $1000/tree and there’s could all be dropped out in the open. It’s just the area - these rich ass yuppies around here in the Tesla’s and Benz’s don’t mind that little money

Shoot, with nothing directly underneath, I probably would have said maybe 600 per, climbed and blocked down and cleaned up in one day, stumps ground the next. But we're in Fl, so there's that.

Maybe I'm just used to what I have, but just one rope and a saddle runs 600ish, spurs for another couple, cheap wire core for another hundred, and so on, and so on. Not counting health insurance and property insurance that will cover something happening.

Back