Large pine removal advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I will carefully explain another way for you to understand the concept! Tie in no pulley just get tied in like your not using it. Then put the pulley under your climb knot and attach a small prusic loop to the opposite side of your drt and connect that to your pulley. Now with weight in your saddle slide the prusic up until the pulley rests against your climb knot and your set!

You really don't even need the crab btw the pulley just slides your knot it is not life support
Fake Blake I swear to god it took me 2 min’s to stop laughing!!! That crakes me up!!! Ok so- how it’s drawn is exactly how I did it so I must have just done something stupid so I’ll just have to try and rerig that again. I super appreciate the pic though!!!!!! I had my father in law with me today for a second set of eyes and confirmations on everything and we just couldn’t get it to work down low? I ended up just spiking 2 or 3 steps and then just grabbing the climbing line and pick it up above my head to get my pulley to advance it. Anyways- I work 2 jobs so I’ll do my best to practice tomorrow evening and I’ll let you know how it goes!!! Thanks again for all the help

Ok I will carefully explain another way for you to understand the concept! Tie in no pulley just get tied in like your not using it. Then put the pulley under your climb knot and attach a small prusic loop to the opposite side of your drt and connect that to your pulley. Now with weight in your saddle slide the prusic up until the pulley rests against your climb knot and your set!

Could also try it this way, same concept.

Fake Blake I swear to god it took me 2 min’s to stop laughing!!! That crakes me up!!! Ok so- how it’s drawn is exactly how I did it so I must have just done something stupid so I’ll just have to try and rerig that again. I super appreciate the pic though!!!!!! I had my father in law with me today for a second set of eyes and confirmations on everything and we just couldn’t get it to work down low? I ended up just spiking 2 or 3 steps and then just grabbing the climbing line and pick it up above my head to get my pulley to advance it. Anyways- I work 2 jobs so I’ll do my best to practice tomorrow evening and I’ll let you know how it goes!!! Thanks again for all the help
Well at least you get humor lol :laugh: Once you figure out that you will like it and then I can explain how adding another 15 dollar cheap pulley will help even more giving you 3-1 lol

D3C296C6-271A-45D4-B762-5D6EC45FAC5F.jpeg
Well at least you get humor lol
You know what- I just found a pic of what I did that I forgot I had. So— I ended up ditching the swivel snap and just putting my prussik right to the blue caribener onto the pulley and we played with that ***** for 30 min and it just kept fouling up? My rig there is a little sloppy but I think what you drew is what we rigged???

You know what— I think it just hit me why it wasn’t working I was on spikes the whole time. I’m always on my spikes and that climbing line is on my saddle and it’s never tensioned cause I’m only ever setting on that line to take a break. So I gaff up a couple steps, neuturalize my flip line and lean back on it. Then I’d grab my loose ass climb line “ safety line”and tighten it up before going further but it’s left behind and everything was super sloppy/floppy at the time. The pulley would flip around ect- - - my technique is just messed up I probably should have just advanced my prussik as I spiked and it would have fixed it?

Yep, that could do it. Keep that slack out of your line, and move the prusik up, probably take care of it.

Just think of that line being the only thing holding you up. Spikes slip, lanyards get sliced, and that line is the best chance any of us have of coming home every day in the event of an accident, so no slack lol! The drop may be short with slack, but it's still shock loading, and a faceful of bark sucks!

View attachment 648124
You know what- I just found a pic of what I did that I forgot I had. So— I ended up ditching the swivel snap and just putting my prussik right to the blue caribener onto the pulley and we played with that ***** for 30 min and it just kept fouling up? My rig there is a little sloppy but I think what you drew is what we rigged???
One thing that helps on this setup is a blakes tied further out it needs to be out far enough so when you pull down and thrust the pulley catches the slack but further out gives you better hand hold if you catch my meaning? and then you put on the second pulley for 3 2- 1 lets first get you dialed in here though! Yes that is the basic set up but tie the blake out much further and make sure the pulley is snug to the blakes when your loaded try what i just said down low a bit until you get it dialed in and use a figure 8 on the tail as a stopper knot. The blakes should be out of reach almost to get the correct effeciency! Also try terminating both you life support crabs to both middle dees!

The self tending hitch is more useful if you are hp thrusting your way up the tree. Because you are on spurs, just climb up three or four steps and slide your knot with your hand up the rope. When you;re on spurs, your climbing line doesn't need to be tight all the time (except to give your confidence).

Most guys around here who remove single stem conifers don't use a top line. Just spur up with a lanyard and a climbing line rigged as a second lanyard. Strip branches on the way up, block the wood in the way down. The old school guys take a lot of convincing to use a second tie in.

All right everybody- Thanks for all the help!! Seriously!! This is why I came here and really can't thank everybody enough for looking out!!!!! I'm going to check out for a couple days and work on my rig some more and keep practicing before I start another removal. Hope everyone has a good week and I'll talk at you later!!!

One thing that helps on this setup is a blakes tied further out it needs to be out far enough so when you pull down and thrust the pulley catches the slack but further out gives you better hand hold if you catch my meaning? and then you put on the second pulley for 3 2- 1 lets first get you dialed in here though! Yes that is the basic set up but tie the blake out much further and make sure the pulley is snug to the blakes when your loaded try what i just said down low a bit until you get it dialed in and use a figure 8 on the tail as a stopper knot. The blakes should be out of reach almost to get the correct effeciency! Also try terminating both you life support crabs to both middle dees!

i agree with ropes. that's always how i done it

The self tending hitch is more useful if you are hp thrusting your way up the tree. Because you are on spurs, just climb up three or four steps and slide your knot with your hand up the rope. When you;re on spurs, your climbing line doesn't need to be tight all the time (except to give your confidence).

Most guys around here who remove single stem conifers don't use a top line. Just spur up with a lanyard and a climbing line rigged as a second lanyard. Strip branches on the way up, block the wood in the way down. The old school guys take a lot of convincing to use a second tie in.
True that but it is most efficient with a groundy tending the slack as you animal climb like a squirrel up the mofo :p

Back