log splitter lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm a new member and this is my first attempt at a post. I've been checking out the site for about a month now and enjoy all of the information. After reading the posts on the log splitter lifts i decided to put one on my splitter. Thought i would share the process and maybe get some feedback ,good or bad.A little back ground on my splitter. I built it in 1989 after reading a couple books on building logsplitters, one from northern and another small paperback that i bought somewhere. It has a 10hp briggs & stratton coupled to a 22gpm barnes two stage. A 5" x 24" cylinder and a cross 2 way detent valve. I made the lift from materials that i had in the garage and i 'm going to try and put pictures in post so you can see the build in progress.I went with a 3"x 8' cylinder on the lift hoping to slow it down some. I was thinking that a 2' might be to fast to control. I called northern a couple days and ordered a selector valve so i will be able to run the splitter and lift off the same detent valve. It should be here today and i can start plumbing the lift today and hope to have it working this weekend.

Is there a particular reason you used flange bearings instead of pillow block bearings? seems like you could have just bolted them on instead of having to make mounts.

DDM said:
Is there a particular reason you used flange bearings instead of pillow block bearings? seems like you could have just bolted them on instead of having to make mounts.
They were free. I happened to have a few sets in the garage.

it looks like you have a good start. i am planning to build a lift on the splitter i'm building, so feel free to post more pictures i could use the help.

You may need separate valves

The lift and framework look great. Depending on the selector valve you use it may be hard to move when loaded. My AC tractor has a selector valve and with any load on it the valve locks in position due to the hydraulic forces.

Let us know how it works.

bvomark said:
The lift and framework look great. Depending on the selector valve you use it may be hard to move when loaded. My AC tractor has a selector valve and with any load on it the valve locks in position due to the hydraulic forces.

Let us know how it works.
Thanks for the complament. The selector valve came with a push-pull knob on it. I ordered an optional lever handle like whats on a detent valve and it works good with it. With the knob you could'nt hardly use it without tapping on the oppisite end of selector shaft. I brought some big peices of white oak home yesterday and got to try the lift out. Works great. I'm going to post some pics later today.

Last edited:
lift in action

I finally got to try out the log lift today. I am posting some pics. The wood looks smaller in the pics than it is when your trying to move or lift it. The first pic is of a peice of red oak that was about 24" long. The saw setting on top of it is a 280 with a 20 bar on it. I carried it over to the splitter with mt tractor and set it on the platform. The lift lifted it with no problem, i was a little warry of the oppisite side of the splitter coming up but it did'nt. Wish i would of thought to walk over and see if i could have lifted the tire. I do'nt think it would handle much more weight. I guess i will have to bring a bigger peice home and try it.

TreeCo said:
That is a really smart looking log lift you've got there.

I'm envious.

Dan
Thanks Dan
Its been a good logsplitter and has served me well the last 17 years.I think it's time to start looking for a spare motor though. Although i have regulary serviced the 10 HP briggs it still starts easy and runs goods but it has to be getting close to its lifes end. Who knows, maybe it will last past my lifes end.

Another use for lift

Hey everyone
I decided to split some wood this afternoon so i parked the splitter next to my wood pile and backed a trailer load of wood right up to the log lift. While on the trailer you can set the lift horizontal and stack it full of wood and then one at a time roll them on to the splitter beam. It sure saves alot of trips onto the trailer to get wood. I was very:clap: with the way that worked out.

Log lift

DDM said:
Is the logloader still working out good for you?
Hey David
Yes, its working great. I wish i would have built it years ago. I had a disc removed from my neck 4 years ago and my neck and right arm still is'nt right. Any lifting is very painful but i love doing the firewood thing. I just work alot slower and smarter now.I mostly do the smaller stuff unless one of my son-in-laws is with me then he'll wrestle the big ones. One of the blessings of having all girls is when they get married old dad gets a hand once in a while. I got me two pretty god boys for son in laws.One of them is going to burn wood next winter so i sold (gave) him my stihl 028 that i used for about 22 years. It's still a great saw with 150 lbs.compression. I just made a new boom lift for my tractor. It has a 3000 lb. winch mounted to it. It's pretty neat. I will post some pics in a day or two. Well sorry about rambling on, i'm goin to check out some of the new threads. Gary

Great looking log spilitter and lift.Great job on every thing.:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Pictures of plumbing

DDM said:
Gary? How about some pictures of you valves and line setup?
Hi David.Heres some pics. I tried to show from all angles. From my detent valve the hoses go into a selector valve. Its a prince with the 3/4' ports. If you go this route get the one with the handle on it and NOT the one with the knob on it. The one with the knob is to hard to push-pull with the unit running. The one with the handle is easy. If i can be of any help just ask. Gary

Great pics, great lookin' splitter, some great thinking, now where are the tractor pics? No really that was or will be helpful to me, thanks.

Back