Log splitter project!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beautifully done.

I'm all ears on this 5" build. I'm wanting to build a splitter capable of pushing wood(18" dia.) through a "one pass head" e.g. the" Cord King 60".Basically a vertical piece with 3 radiating fins per side with pieces welded to connect to the adjacent fins creating pockets the wood is pushed through. Has anybody built this type of head?Some on my wood can be a little gnarly I'm planning on using a 18.5 Briggs vertical shaft.Great give and take on this thread.Suggestions on pump size are appreciated.I' was planning on showing pictures of a monster splitter I just built using 2-5" cylinders-48" stroke using14"X12"(53 lbs./ft.) beam until I saw Woodman's welds.I used about 60 lbs. of 7018.What a blast that was to make happen.Loved using the circular saw with steel cutting blade for the first time on 3/4" steel.

Great looking machine! What kind of welder did you use?

woodsman44, after a year of use what is your opinion of the 11hp HF engine you used for this build? I'm looking to repower some old equipment and one of these may be a good choice based on the reviews I have read thus far.

My splitter is a store bought ,20 year old mtd. There is one particular design feature that I thought I would pass on. Welded onto the edge of the heavy plate at the bottom, is a short 5/16 shaped and welded rod ,which serves two purposes:
a place to tie a flag when on the road AND when the splitter is in storage a place to connect a padlock and chain. (something to think about).

woodsman44, after a year of use what is your opinion of the 11hp HF engine you used for this build? I'm looking to repower some old equipment and one of these may be a good choice based on the reviews I have read thus far.

The 11hp HF has been runing flawless, no issues at all, dont know how many cords ive split (alot) but put many hours on it.

Oh, would get the 13HP next time...never can have to much of that...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back