Help with new splitter: ID my pump! :) et al.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up this splitter 2 weeks back in trade for some saw parts, and a touch of cash… looks to be a bit older (judging by the vintage of the motor/ rust-through on the lower part of the recoil housing) but the motor runs strong even though she needs the governor control straightened out…

Seems well built, 316 stainless fasteners. Bolted on wedge and cyl mount, 4x24” energy cyl, energy spool valve (leaking hyd return kick out..) High-nickel rod to weld the mounts/pushplate and wedge, shut offs under tank (main beam) for spool return and pump suction…nifty fabbed pipe cap with a nylon plug/ etc for a vent…

Yet upon initial inspection, she was in need of some help:

pump bracket was cracked on a weld

hoses were junk

and, the worst part… missing a FILTER… I was kinda shocked with all the effort put into building it years ago…

upon further testing/inspection everything would work, yet the pump didn’t seem to stage up to hi-press… it was BARELY split a 10” round without any knots. I tried a 16” piece of clean oak: nothing. I took It out of the splitter and in 3 hits had it In 2 pieces.

Cycle time out was 11 sec, in 10 sec @ about 3000 rpm (I’d guess a 13-16 gpm pump?

I did notice the fluid seemed to have air bubbles in it… suction hose is junk.

Drained the tank, and found some metal L (NOT GOOD… my initial fear…)

Also noticed the 4x4 ¼” wall tube was flexing under load. L

I put a 10k psi gauge (use it @ work…) inline between the pump and the valve and saw ~ 200-300 psi when against the log. Something tells me that’s a bit low, lol!

I need some help ID’ing this pump, and seeing if a rebuild kit is available.

it has a E60 on the outlet side of the pump, toward the mounting flange....

So,other than the pump, I could use some HELP on a Couple things:

Any ideas as to what to do about the beam flex? I was thinking of welding the BOLTED on angle iron that holds the carriage and maybe welding a piece of angle on the bottom of the beam/tank.

Where and what kind of filter assy? Does a pre-fiilter make sense (debris screen…) ?

Should I relocate the pump so I don’t have 34” of suction hose?

More pics to come :)

Other thoughts?

Thanks guys!

J

The pump looks similar to an older MTE/ Delta 2-stage. The pump could be alright the problem might be a broken spring in the pressure relief in the control valve.

Air bubbles in the fluid is a sign of low fluid level or suction line leakage.

Filter should be in the return line.

Low pressure can also be a sign of cylinder seal leakage.

The pump looks similar to an older MTE/ Delta 2-stage. The pump could be alright the problem might be a broken spring in the pressure relief in the control valve.

Air bubbles in the fluid is a sign of low fluid level or suction line leakage.

Filter should be in the return line.

Low pressure can also be a sign of cylinder seal leakage.

Thank you... I will research that pump... opinions on them? good? bad? parts still avail??

I backed off the pressure control 'bolt'/plug if you will, with the spring and ball under it... by the tool marks (flat-head screwdriver...) it has been adjusted MANY MANY times... (mangled would be a good word :( ) The spring and ball look good. I got more pressure out if it backing it out (only a couple threads left @ that point...)

Changing the cracked suction line today... hopefully that helps.

I will be filtering the return from the energy valve... I was thinking of a suction strainer too... as i'm not sure I can get the fluid/tank, etc 100% clean before I fix the pump...??

I have checked the piston... @ mid-extension, it leaks little to nothing (residual from the piston pushing up...

That was the 1st thing I checked :)

Thanks for the response..

4" bore, 24" stroke cylinder with a 1.5" rod, 21 sec cycle time = 7-8 gpm pump. Brand - I don't know.

The following hand-outs I made should give you some food for thought & help answer a lot of your questions.

Attachments

• Choosing, Designing, & Building a Hydraulic Log Splitter.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Parts Needed for Building a Log Splitter.pdf
    695.9 KB · Views: 4
All the 2-stage pumps are considered quite durable regardless of brand. Log spltter pumps use a industry standard bolt mounting pattern and are interchangable. A 5.5 hp. engine will handle a 11 gpm 2-stage pump. A 16 gpm 2-stage pump will require a 8 hp. engine.

Log splitter pumps can be had for as low as $100. They are generally considered non-rebuildable due to their initial cost and lack of available replacement parts.

Latest posts

Back