Log splitter project!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tool box clashes, now you gotta paint the splitter OD green :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice build, now you need to throw some wood thru it :cheers:

OD green would have been a good color, but wife said "BLUE"...lol

Ran 3/4 cord oak through it so far....tore it up fast...I likey!
Will get youtube vid of splitting up soon.

Awesome score on motor, way to go!!!
Man that splitter is going to scream with that 28gpm 2-stage pump...you will make fast work out of that wood.

Post pics when you get er' going

Well... we are NOT happy campers today!

Back to the motor hunting mode... Went to pick up motor and the S.O.B. sold it to someone else for more than we had already paid him! I KNEW we should have taken the truck when we went to look at it! It's not worth it to pursue it any further...

OD green would have been a good color, but wife said "BLUE"...lol

Ran 3/4 cord oak through it so far....tore it up fast...I likey!
Will get youtube vid of splitting up soon.

Keep the wifey happy and you can keep building great toys... er... TOOLS!

Well... we are NOT happy campers today!

Back to the motor hunting mode... Went to pick up motor and the S.O.B. sold it to someone else for more than we had already paid him! I KNEW we should have taken the truck when we went to look at it! It's not worth it to pursue it any further...
Time to put a little Redneck whoop ass on him, just for wasting your time.

Not trying to hi-jack, but i got a question for you professional wood splitter builders. Im wanting to build a horizontal splitter with the wedge at the end and just a flat push plate on the cylinder end. My reason behind this is i want to be able to make an adjustable height wedge in 4,6,and 8 way version. I want to be able to split a piece of 18 inch long wood in 1 stroke. I know im going to need a big cylinder to have the tonnage i need. Now for my question,im wanting to power this thing off the auxiliary hydraulics on my tractor to keep the cost down, If possible. My tractor puts out 2500 lbs of pressure and max total flow is 15.3 gpm. Is this going to hurt me? Im afraid it will be real slow. Any input is appreciated.
Btw, that a nice splitter youve put together woodsman.:cheers:

...I know im going to need a big cylinder to have the tonnage i need. Now for my question,im wanting to power this thing off the auxiliary hydraulics on my tractor to keep the cost down, If possible. My tractor puts out 2500 lbs of pressure and max total flow is 15.3 gpm. ...

Given 2500psi and 15.3gpm, and I am going to assume a 24" stroke. Here are a few scenarios:

4"x24"x2" Cylinder:
Max pressure = 31,416# (almost 16 tons)
Extend time = 5.12 seconds
Retract time = 3.84 seconds​

5"x24"x2" Cylinder:
Max pressure = 49,087# (about 24.5 tons)
Extend time = 8.00 seconds
Retract time = 6.72 seconds​

A word of caution about auxillary hydraulics on a tractor: Some tractors specs are a little misleading. When it says 15.3gpm, is that at full pressure? Many will have a max flow rate at a reduced pressure and a max pressure at a reduced flow rate. That throws the above numbers off.

It's your decision whether the cycle times and splitting forces shown above are adequate for what you intend. One of the most respected commercially available splitters with a multi-wedge advertises 28 ACTUAL tons and a 8 second total cycle time. I would think a home made splitter with almost that force and less that twice the cycle time should be better than the average store bought brand.

Another important thing is the 15.3 GPM is a single stage pump,it will nto slow down for the stubborn wood.It will just rip right thru it without changing speeds as if you were dry cycling it...my skid steer has 23 GPM nd with a 5" cylinder it is fine,nothing stops it or even slows it down,after using a 15hp TSC 35t splitter,the difference is night and day,it needs to be experienced to beleive it.

Hi guys, great info being given in here.

I have a couple of questions for the more hydraulically educated;

1, if a 5x2x24 cyl. gives a 15 second cycle time with a single stage 15.3 GPM pump...will I get a faster (empty, same size cyl.) cycle time with a 22 or 28 GPM pump?
I'm looking for the max possible cycle time with max possible pressure.

2, what would be a minimum HP for a 22, and for a 28 GPM pump?

I ask because I am going to make my own super-duty splitter for max production in big wood. I have a 14.5 HP V-twin Briggs already, but if it will not be enough to run one of those pumps..

So far, not counting the freebie engine, I figure $1,600 for an auto-cycle valve body, 28 gpm pump, 5x2x24 piston, 12" x 1" wedge, 12" slip on 4 way, anchor block, hoses & fittings, 19 gallon hydraulic tank, 6.5 gallon gas tank, 2 piece coupling block, all new from N-T....add another $500 for steel and welding...and 200 for forgotten incidentals...
$2,400 should build me a monster that would cost me $11K from Built rite..

I just picked up my 28gpm pump for 260 shipped to the door from cylinder services. Recommends a 18hp motor and for a 22gpm i think its 16gpm.

I just picked up my 28gpm pump for 260 shipped to the door from cylinder services. Recommends a 18hp motor and for a 22gpm i think its 16gpm.

Heck, that's a good $100 cheaper than N-T!

So I'll need a 20 HP engine for the 28 gpm then? I have one, but it's in my "good" riding mower! I could swap the 14 into it I guess..

1, if a 5x2x24 cyl. gives a 15 second cycle time with a single stage 15.3 GPM pump...will I get a faster (empty, same size cyl.) cycle time with a 22 or 28 GPM pump?
I'm looking for the max possible cycle time with max possible pressure.

I assume you mean MINIMUM cycle time and maximum pressure...

With no load, and assuming you are running the pump at it's design speed (3600 rpm), the 22gpm will cycle out in 5.6sec and in in 4.7sec; the 28gpm will cycle out in 4.4sec and in in 3.7sec. BUT.... that's with no load. If you exceed the "shift" pressure, it will be MUCH slower! A Haldex-Barnes 22 or 28 only does about 7.5gpm in "low gear".

2, what would be a minimum HP for a 22, and for a 28 GPM pump?.

Per the Haldex-Barnes literature, the 22 hits right at 16hp required before it "shifts" if the shift is set at 1000psi. You could set it around 750psi and be ok with your 14.5 until you hit the REALLY gnarly stuff. The HP curve crosses 14.5 again in "low gear" at around 2800psi. Forget the 28gpm pump. Anything over 600psi in "fast gear" and 2000psi in "low gear" will bog the engine down too much.

Thank you!

I understand the second stage will kill cycle times.

So, the 28 gpm would require how much HP?
I guess what I'd like to know is can I use a 20 HP v twin briggs, or should I find something with more whampum? I really have my heart set on the max speed and max force...I would like to use a 4 way pretty much full time...even a 6 or 8 way in "good" wood.

Right now, I have a 5hp that's kinda worn, and a decent 13.5 gpm pump pushing a 4" x 1-7/8" x 24 and it will split (or shear) quite a nasty white oak crotch...do it all the time...I have the offload valve set at a low PSI, but it still struggles now and then...I just let the engine catch up and hit it again in short bursts..I have not stopped it dead yet..

Last edited:
With Haldex-Barnes, the HP Curve shows about 19hp on "high gear" for the 28. Both the 22 and 28 are about 7.5gpm in "low gear" and show about 15-16hp for 3000psi. Note: different pump manufacturers use different ratios on the "low gear" side, so the pump from Cylinder Services (an IPF) may be different. The prince is different... and WAY more expensive!

Given 2500psi and 15.3gpm, and I am going to assume a 24" stroke. Here are a few scenarios:

4"x24"x2" Cylinder:
Max pressure = 31,416# (almost 16 tons)
Extend time = 5.12 seconds
Retract time = 3.84 seconds​

5"x24"x2" Cylinder:
Max pressure = 49,087# (about 24.5 tons)
Extend time = 8.00 seconds
Retract time = 6.72 seconds​

A word of caution about auxillary hydraulics on a tractor: Some tractors specs are a little misleading. When it says 15.3gpm, is that at full pressure? Many will have a max flow rate at a reduced pressure and a max pressure at a reduced flow rate. That throws the above numbers off.

It's your decision whether the cycle times and splitting forces shown above are adequate for what you intend. One of the most respected commercially available splitters with a multi-wedge advertises 28 ACTUAL tons and a 8 second total cycle time. I would think a home made splitter with almost that force and less that twice the cycle time should be better than the average store bought brand.

I checked the hydraulic spec again. I read it to fast the first time. The total max hydraulic pump pressure is 2500psi @ 15.3 gpm. The auxilary hydraulic is 2500psi @ 10.3 gpm. That is the max. I got to looking and the hydraulic lines is only 3/8 size. Im thinkin that with 3/8 line and 10.3 gpm im going to be pissin in the wind.??? Exspecialy trying to fill a 5 in cylinder with that size line.
I found a pto mounted hydraulic pump that puts off 21gpm through a 3/4 line. Thats what im THINKIN i need,but i aint for sure.

I used a 19.5 horse out of a Craftsman Riding mower. Barley kicks into second gear. If it doesnt split it it will shear it in half. Also "oldtimer" you should start a build thread so its easier to keep track of all the replys to your questions. It also doesnt clutter up this build thread.

Another important thing is the 15.3 GPM is a single stage pump,it will nto slow down for the stubborn wood.It will just rip right thru it without changing speeds as if you were dry cycling it...my skid steer has 23 GPM nd with a 5" cylinder it is fine,nothing stops it or even slows it down,after using a 15hp TSC 35t splitter,the difference is night and day,it needs to be experienced to beleive it.

I thought about hooking it up to one of my skidsteers. I have a rubber track high flow machine that would put out plenty of gpm. But, i dont know how it would work. I cant find the safety switch to make the hydraulics work without some body sitting in the cab with the door shut and the seat belt on. I know it should work or they wouldnt make backhoe attachments for them. Well, i guess they make backhoe attachments for john deere skidsteers. I need to check on that.

I used a 19.5 horse out of a Craftsman Riding mower. Barley kicks into second gear. If it doesnt split it it will shear it in half. Also "oldtimer" you should start a build thread so its easier to keep track of all the replys to your questions. It also doesnt clutter up this build thread.

Is the info not relevant to a lot of builds? I asked in here because of the post 2fatdudes made..Besides, I'm done asking questions...but If I could move them to a new thread I would.

Is the info not relevant to a lot of builds? I asked in here because of the post 2fatdudes made..Besides, I'm done asking questions...but If I could move them to a new thread I would.

I am by not any means saying it doesnt belong but having your own thread will make things much nicer for reference. I'm just speaking from years of experience from other forums involving DIY projects.

Cant we all just get along here :cry:................LOLOLOLOLOL

Latest posts

Back