ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Logs into firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by ba-1, Oct 4, 2013.

1. olyman

olyman Tree Freak

no argument,,BUT, this is a AMERICAN site.................................:msp_wink: here coming the fireballs......

2. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

I agree, and as site guests we should respect the hosts. We are "thrown cubic metre" here in NZ as the legal measure of firewood volume, but plenty of people use cord or some contortion thereof. It's nice learning different languages, even if I still haven't mastered American yet.

The board with the most 'lost in translation' moments for me seems to be the logging board. Those contributors speak an intriguing flavor of American, with words I can't understand yet. Probably why I like lurking in there the most. Well that and their massive collective experience in putting wood on the ground, to learn from.

slowp likes this.
  3. GeeVee

GeeVee East Coast Champion

Metric. 128 Cubic feet equals 3.624 cubic meters.

So- 4x4x8 feet cords are also 1.22x1.22x2.44 meters

Since 1983, the metre has been officially defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second.

I've been sitting here about two hours, in a motel lobby in Jax Beach waiting for the sun, and my wife and daughter to waken...

.....and this is how bored I am.

4. hardpan

hardpan Addicted to ArboristSite

"as site guests we should respect the hosts"
    Thank you. I wish more visitors to this country felt the same way.

There are uncountable flavors of the English language in the US, noticeable many times when only traveling a hundred miles. Mostly we butcher the language but with a sense of humor we can have fun with our differences.

5. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

There sure are some differences! I was cutting through new hampshire once going to maine, stopped in some small town I forget the name of, and I could NOT understand the people there. blew my mind. I have heard several distinct accents around the nation, that one town, man, no idea. Had no problem at all any other place in new england.

6. CRThomas

CRThomas ArboristSite Guru

In my firewood business my customers tell me how many bundles they want and when I load x amount of bundles that my bundler wraps 0.75 and if they want Christmas paper or what every holiday it is a picture of there dog there name it makes them happy and me happy to at the end of the year when I count up profit. Me and my wife make a very good income at it. Later

7. mikey517

mikey517 Living the Medicare dream

Casablanca_1942_3.jpg
    "Rick.....Please help me, Rick! Rick!!"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. slowp

slowp Tree Freak

Loading Truck.jpg

One of these hauls about 10 cords depending on weight of logs, weigh cop availability, etc.
    Or 4.8mbf, or 9ccf.

9. Alan Smith

Alan Smith ArboristSite Operative

There are uncountable flavors of the English language in the US, noticeable many times when only traveling a hundred miles. Mostly we butcher the language but with a sense of humor we can have fun with our differences.
    Here in ky the language is noticeable when traveling 30 miles in most places

10. Milkman31

Milkman31 ArboristSite Guru

Here in tn we go by the Rick always been 4ft x 8ft x 18in on an average of $50

11. NEKS Tree Svc

NEKS Tree Svc I get up there

2/3 a cord , 80 sq ft , in a tight stacked long bed load. If i throw more on top, it stacks out to 90 sq ft. I do that extra for customers.

12. branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer Undiagnosed

Especially when thatched, then you can get $55...

Not many people sell ricks in my part of TN and if they do they sure don't standardize the length of the splits. They do sell loads, lotsa mystery loads. We don't like to give out too much information that would simplify the process because there wouldn't be anything to do after unloading. Endless awkward silences would ensue if some silly unit like a cord was used - how would one refuse to pay? "Rick" around here is usually meant to describe the method of stacking - "ricked" in the truck as opposed to a "thrown load".

I will say this boys 'n gals, absolutely nothing compares to a picture of your (cord/rick/stere/cu. ft./load/rank) followed by an identical (cord/rick/stere/cu. ft./load/rank) arriving for the customer. WYSIWYG, try it sometime.

13. CRThomas

CRThomas ArboristSite Guru

Around 22 a ten wheeler 14

14. NEKS Tree Svc

NEKS Tree Svc I get up there

This is what I brought a customer 2 days ago, was stacked in a long bed, came out to 90 sq ft caus i threw on extra. She needed small oak chunks for her cookstove, an old school oven/wood stove/etc. It was awesome lookin. This measured out to 90 sq ft.

Attached Files:

15. lmbrman

lmbrman stumped

In WI, winter overweight permits allow around 12-15 cords on most rigs with proper axels. Curious about the "log" term however, as low quality oak logs in the 6" plus range bring $180cord delivered, usually sold to a sawmill. Oak pulp, 4-20" is $85/cord delivered.

Oak firewood is $150/ cord cut split delivered.

I don't know Rick, but I enjoyed reading about him before leaving for the woods. I am going to watch for bush cords while out there. Should I carry protection from bush?

farmer steve likes this.
  16. Vermonster

Vermonster ArboristSite Operative

Rick, rank faced rack? It's cords here. Although you do occasionally hear someone comment on a big pile of wood and say "Wooo-eeee, that's a pretty good jag of wood right there!" It's a term with no known volume, just some impressive sized pile. I don't think I've heard the term used in that fashion anywhere else.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  17. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

lmbrman, you should always carry protection.wether you use it is up to you.o_O
    vemonster,we use jag here also. usually after to many beers,but also in big piles of wood.:laugh:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    lmbrman and Vermonster like this.
  18. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

ain't heard that one!

jag...hmmm...another potential candidate for my first CL wood offer....

A proper jag 0 wood! Don't get ripped off by these "loads" around here, why...everyone knows a real load is an honest jag!

A ricked up rank honest full load of bushed cubic face jag cords! Only $59.95, and you deliver it free, any distance! What a savings! 100% pure bullsnut oakory! Available for splitting to any size you want to split it! Added holiday bonus, you are FREE, yes I said FREE to cut it to your perfect size, no extra charge! Paypal easy, or better, bitcoin! Directions to woodlot given at payment.

Ignore those retards at the house when you get there, they are just ..uhh...renters, ya, that's the ticket, renters! Just cut away! Also available, those two cars in the driveway, 1000 bucks FIRM, you haul away! Yep, either that mercedes or that bmw. Fast sale, email bill of sale only (just print it out), seem to have..misplaced..the titles, but no worries, just go down and apply for an open lost salvage bonded title of interest! It's double easy! No worries mon! And just get a locksmith to make you some new keys, lost them with the title..during a move. And those renters, pizz on 'em! Always complaining about stuff, and man will they lie..just ignore them. So, come on down for some great seasonal firewood and excellent deals on vehicles, and happy holidays!

farmer steve and Vermonster like this.
  19. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Was used by Dad back on the farm. Referred to a small load of most anything. "I brought home a jag of oats"

Harry K

Vermonster likes this.
  20. woodchuck357

woodchuck357 Addicted to ArboristSite

Jag is used here 'bouts. Both as an undefined quantity and as related to consumption of alcohol!

farmer steve and Vermonster like this.