How many ton log splitter do you need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you “need” obviously depends on the species you’re splitting. When I split elm my splitter sometimes stalls out. It’ll always split just about anything else without issue. The beam will flex a fair bit when it stalls out and it’s a 1/2” wall 6x6 beam. I can absolutely put a pressure gauge on it and see what it’s putting out sometime. The cylinder is a 5” with a 2-1/4” bore if memory serves me correctly….

2023-11-09 14.57.20.jpg

The pressure and cylinder size are going to affect the splitting force. So many 30 ton splitters use a 4.5 inch cylinder which at 3000 psi will give you about 23 actual tons for a 30 ton splitter. I run everything thru a 4 way wedge and my pressure only hits 3000 on big white oak crotches. A straight piece of wood usually splits before 600 to 1000 psi which would translate to 5 to 8 ton. Most wood will split pretty easy with a few tons its the big nasty crotches you will want more power. The other big problem is most log splitters vastly over rate their splitters by 5 to 10 tons. With a little work find the splitter specs need cyl diameter and pressure they lie about this too. Assume its 3000max or less rated to 3600 doesn't mean it puts out 3600, very few commercial ones do. Run the numbers thu a hyd force calculator you'll get a better idea of true force of the splitter.

there are a lot of 27 ton splitters out there from different manfs. so there must be a reason for that. so if you are making one yourself I would copy the specs.

Has anyone put a pressure gage on their log splitter and calculate how much tons they actually use to split wood?
I have always ran pressure gauges on my splitters mostly for trouble shooting and adjusting the control valve and the shift down on the pump. The homemade splitter I use the most is four inch with a two and half inch rod cylinder. I have my relief valve set at 2500 PSI. Surplus Centers calculator says that cylinder will produce 31,416 so just shy of 16 ton at 2500 PSI. That splitter splits any thing I throw at it. I feel no need to bump the pressure up and start breaking the splitter. Most of the time I am splitting at 1500 PSI and under. Wedge design is very important on a splitter.

I have always ran pressure gauges on my splitters mostly for trouble shooting and adjusting the control valve and the shift down on the pump. The homemade splitter I use the most is four inch with a two and half inch rod cylinder. I have my relief valve set at 2500 PSI. Surplus Centers calculator says that cylinder will produce 31,416 so just shy of 16 ton at 2500 PSI. That splitter splits any thing I throw at it. I feel no need to bump the pressure up and start breaking the splitter. Most of the time I am splitting at 1500 PSI and under. Wedge design is very important on a splitter.
Cylinder diameter determines splitting force. Rod diameter only plays into retract force and cycle time.
I can't speak to the commercial type machines and their ratings, but all of the box store type units I've ever looked at are listed as far more than they can actually deliver.
At 2,500 psi setting:
4" cylinder 15.7 ton
4.5" cylinder 19.9 ton
5" cylinder 24.5 ton
Kick it to 3,000 psi (IF the system can generate and handle it):
4" 18.8 ton
4.5" 23.9 ton
5" 29.5 ton

Mine with a 4.5" cylinder rarely goes over 1,000 psi and most stuff much lower.

25 ton + or - will split anything I throw on it. It might not split oak or elm as fast, but it will. 6.5 hp 3000lb. pump 4.5" with 2.5 inch ram. Oak is hard to come by where I live. I sell about 30 cord a year of mixed conifer mostly red fir and pinon. In 6 years I rebuilt the cylinder one time hoses once. Woreout the Kohler in 2 years. Replaced with a cheapie Preditor that has been going on 4 years. Customer returned it at Big box store, I bought it for a hundred bucks. Cleaned the carb and....got lucky. "Dirty Hands" from Colorado, mostly Imported parts.

The math on my homebuilt is 28 tons .it splits basically everything I have every put in it.If its a crotch or badly twisted piece I just chuck in in the fire pit pile.Dont intended to destroy my splitter just to prove a point when I have more than enough to do me anyway

I think my old Ram splitter was like 16 tons of that. It split almost everything I ever put up on it. My Wolfe ridge pro 28c hasn’t been stopped yet. It has a couple times with the 4 way wedge but that was me probably being dumb using a 4 way when I shouldn’t have been.

Latest posts

Back