Tractor Supply - Countyline 40-Ton Log Splitter (question)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Sharp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey fella`s,
i bought this log splitter brand new at tractor supply, and i`m looking for a place i can buy the replacement hydraulic filter for this Countyline 40-Ton log splitter. The filters don`t seem to be easy to find locally at a couple different TS stores. Tractor supply has the filters but they come with the aluminum manifold on the filter and they want $50 bucks for this filter and aluminum manifold attached with the filter. I don`t need the manifold, i just want to buy just a filter. I`m sure there must be a couple members here that have this particular log splitter. Maybe someone can shed some light on this on what filter "they" are using as a replacement filter.

Right now, my splitter has a 25 micron filter on it that came on the splitter brand new. I`m not having much luck finding a 25 micron filter to replace the original one. The OEM pump spec is 25GPM.

The OEM filter says
GPM: 25 [MAX]
PSI: 200 [MAX]

Thanks guys

EDIT:
edited to put proper spec`s in the post above

I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for or not as it pertains to the County Line 25T splitter (which is what I've got). I've only had my splitter for a season, but in watching YouTube videos about it, I came across this. I would bet money that the hydraulic filter for the 25 or 40 ton would be the same. I saved a screenshot of the video when I saw it just so I'd be able to reference it when I do need a filter. And I realize that this one is 25 micron, but I'd bet anything that you'd be okay with it.

Screenshot (1464).png

Thank you JP Jeff,
I went out and looked at the OEM filter on my 40-ton (again), its a 25 micron filter like the one in your screenshot above. I had commented in my earlier post that it was a 5 micron, my mistake, the original filter says 25 micron right on the filter body.

Now, my only concern is, is that the LENZ CP-752-30 at TractorSupply doesn`t show what the spec`s are IE: GPM / MAX PSI ratings like the OEM.
If my thoughts are right, the filter on my splitter is on the suction side of the hydraulic circuit. So i`m not sure if this PSI rating is that big of a concern, but could effect the flow if its not the right filter designed for this exact log splitter running a 25 GPM pump. Yes/No ?

The OEM one says
GPM: 25 [MAX]
PSI: 200 [MAX]

I just want to be sure to put the right spec`d filter back on my splitter. I`m just an old guy living on a very limited income, i can`t afford a mistake and hurt this log splitter because i don`t have the money to replace the splitter if i play guessing games with it.

Thanks again Jeff, i really appreciate your post.

1688468992903.jpeg

Ok now i`m a bit confused. I`m looking at my log splitter, and it looks like to me that the bigger clear hose on the tank is the suction side of the pump. If that is true, why would they put the oil filter on the return side. I would think you`d want that oil filtered BEFORE it goes into the pump. I`m guessing there is a screen of some sort inside the tank before it goes to the pump (???) because i can see a big round flange with bolts as though you could take the flange out of the tank to clean the internal screen (???)

Please forgive me fella`s, i`m not to smart with hydraulics :(

Stihl Sharp Most of the splitters have the filter on the return side and a suction screen in the tank to help protect the pump. Another source for splitter hyd filters is Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska. Part number 9-059-25 should be the 25 micron filter or you could use a 9-059-10 which is the 10 micron.

That Lenz filter is rated at 20gpm.

I'm having a problem crossing your OE filter # but I did cross that Lenz to a Donaldson P551553. 17 um efficiency, 30gpm.
Micron ratings can be very misleading. If a filter manufacturer doesn't publish the beta ratio the micron ratings are essentially worthless because you don't know the test methods being used to come to the ratings. Some manufacturers post efficiency ratings that are very misleading. The details matter.

I use Donaldson filters in just about everything. While there are other good filter manufacturers out there Donaldson is at the front in media technology and they have a very wide selection. There aren't many applications they don't cover.

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engine/filters/technical-articles/understanding-beta-ratings/

Just wondering how big of engine you have on it as a 25GPM pump is quite beefy

Just wondering how big of engine you have on it as a 25GPM pump is quite beefy
It's a 2 stage pump. Don't take much at low pressure to run 25gpm, once the pressure jumps up around 700psi it will kick onto the low flow high pressure stage, the ram.slows down considerably.
Edit, for example I have a 16gpm 2 stange pump on my splitter, 9hp Subaru ex27 powers it.

Ok now i`m a bit confused. I`m looking at my log splitter, and it looks like to me that the bigger clear hose on the tank is the suction side of the pump. If that is true, why would they put the oil filter on the return side. I would think you`d want that oil filtered BEFORE it goes into the pump. I`m guessing there is a screen of some sort inside the tank before it goes to the pump (???) because i can see a big round flange with bolts as though you could take the flange out of the tank to clean the internal screen (???)

Please forgive me fella`s, i`m not to smart with hydraulics :(
Starving the inlet can be harder on a pump than running dirty oil thru it, so in most hydraulic systems the filter is located in the return line. A pickup screen to stop big stuff (that 10-32 nut your 4 year-old dropped in the tank) entering the pump is common.

In more complicated systems (esp with piston or vane pumps) there's often a centrifugal charge pump ahead of the high pressure pump that ensures a positive pressure at the high pressure pump's inlet. In that case, the filter is often between the charge pump outlet and the pressure pump's inlet.

It's a 2 stage pump. Don't take much at low pressure to run 25gpm, once the pressure jumps up around 700psi it will kick onto the low flow high pressure stage, the ram.slows down considerably.
Edit, for example I have a 16gpm 2 stange pump on my splitter, 9hp Subaru ex27 powers it.
A true 25GPM 2 stage pump takes a lot more HP than you think

Hence 14HP and 25GPM are like an elevator in an out house.....they just do not go together

Hence 14HP and 25GPM are like an elevator in an out house.....they just do not go together
14hp will run it fine, just at low pressure, hence the 2 stage pump. In this instance of the 40ton splitter, run at 3800psi would need more like 55hp to run a 25 gpm pump. There's no real need for that so a 25gpm 2 stage pump is used. I would guess it's low volume high pressure side is around 6gpm which a 14hp engine is quite capable of dealing with. With change over speed around 700 psi it only needs about 10hp for 25gpm. Perfectly serviceable with a 14hp engine.

14hp will run it fine, just at low pressure, hence the 2 stage pump. In this instance of the 40ton splitter, run at 3800psi would need more like 55hp to run a 25 gpm pump. There's no real need for that so a 25gpm 2 stage pump is used. I would guess it's low volume high pressure side is around 6gpm which a 14hp engine is quite capable of dealing with. With change over speed around 700 psi it only needs about 10hp for 25gpm. Perfectly serviceable with a 14hp engine.
I will respectfully agree to disagree then.

I will respectfully agree to disagree then.
There's nothing to disagree about. Any common 2 stage pump used in a log splitter has a low pressure high flow section that requires little hp to produce the required flow, then a low volume high pressure side that produces very little flow but at a much higher pressure. You can disagree as much as you want but you will still be 100% wrong.
Hp=(flow× pressure) ÷1714
Flow= gallons per minuet
Pressure= pounds per square inch.

Since it seems you're being your normal stubborn self, I'll give an several examples.

Listed is a 28gpm 2 stage log splitter pump.
25gpm will only make between 400 and 900 psi. (You can set it, typically fsctory is around 700psi)Then it changes over to the 7gpm high pressure stage,which this pump is rated to 3000psi. The high flow section doesn't do anything at that point.
Keep up, simple math to follow.
28gpm×900psi=25200
25200÷1714=14.702hp.
You only need 15hp to flow 25gpm@900psi.
The pump I'm using as an example is only good for 3000 psi. Anything over 900psi uses the 7gpm section of the 2 stage pump.
7gpm×3000=21000
21000÷1714=12.252hp.
So it needs 12hp to flow 7gpm@3000psi.
They suggest 16hp as a minimum.
Where your thinking goes wrong.
28gpmx3000=84000
84000÷1714=49.008hp.
You need 50hp to flow 25gpm@3000psi.
2 stage pumps like used on most splitters don't flow 25gpm above a certain psi, as clearly outlined by the included example I've provided.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704_192455_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230704_192455_Samsung Internet.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 1
There's nothing to disagree about. Any common 2 stage pump used in a log splitter has a low pressure high flow section that requires little hp to produce the required flow, then a low volume high pressure side that produces very little flow but at a much higher pressure. You can disagree as much as you want but you will still be 100% wrong.
Hp=(flow× pressure) ÷1714
Flow= gallons per minuet
Pressure= pounds per square inch.

Since it seems you're being your normal stubborn self, I'll give an several examples.

Listed is a 28gpm 2 stage log splitter pump.
25gpm will only make between 400 and 900 psi. (You can set it, typically fsctory is around 700psi)Then it changes over to the 7gpm high pressure stage,which this pump is rated to 3000psi. The high flow section doesn't do anything at that point.
Keep up, simple math to follow.
28gpm×900psi=25200
25200÷1714=14.702hp.
You only need 15hp to flow 25gpm@900psi.
The pump I'm using as an example is only good for 3000 psi. Anything over 900psi uses the 7gpm section of the 2 stage pump.
7gpm×3000=21000
21000÷1714=12.252hp.
So it needs 12hp to flow 7gpm@3000psi.
They suggest 16hp as a minimum.
Where your thinking goes wrong.
28gpmx3000=84000
84000÷1714=49.008hp.
You need 50hp to flow 25gpm@3000psi.
2 stage pumps like used on most splitters don't flow 25gpm above a certain psi, as clearly outlined by the included example I've provided.
Yet the high end manufactures selling great high end products disagree. I am sure you are correct though

Carry on.

How is your 4th going? The fireworks should be going off by now

Yet the high end manufactures selling great high end products disagree. I am sure you are correct though

Carry on.

How is your 4th going? The fireworks should be going off by now
I doubt they would disagree, there's a big difference between a 2 stage pump and a sectional pump, that I'm guessing you're confusing them with.
Anyway, yeah we got I sections done in time to catch about half the the fireworks, pretty sure work spent our year end bonus. Was a really good show. Happy 4th.

I doubt they would disagree, there's a big difference between a 2 stage pump and a sectional pump, that I'm guessing you're confusing them with.
Anyway, yeah we got I sections done in time to catch about half the the fireworks, pretty sure work spent our year end bonus. Was a really good show. Happy 4th.
For clarity are you telling me you know more than that of the builders and engineers of the best hydraulic equipment around? Just checking:)

Now to bring it back on topic if you have a good used filter any independent shop can source it for you. I know if I had it here Amy could look at it for 30 seconds and have it sourced in 3 minutes. I deal with those that have been in the parts business since we had the shop in the 1930's. Yes technology has changed but common sense has not

Latest posts

Back