Long Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm contemplating a longer bar for the 661. It currently has the stock 25in but I cut some big stuff at times and a longer bar would be nice. So far I have always got the job done but just cutting from one side would be nice rather than making two cuts per round. I'm thinking about a 36in bar for it and keeping the 20in on the 460. Haven't decided yet so it's interesting to read what others do.
Another member from aussie land has a 661 monkey saw he runs a 36 on in your hard woods that sink.

What are your thoughts on the cannon bars?

They seem to be superb quality. They're definitely not light weight. I got a good deal on that one used. If I was buying new and if I was planning on using it much I'd probably go for a tsumura light and tough bar for the weight savings, but on the other hand, that Cannon is nice and stiff and will probably out last me. AP's bar shop in Asheville NC has the best prices that I've seen on them.

Compared to what they run out west this is still not a long bar, but since we're posting pics, here's mine:View attachment 679831

7f40334c6d312a9a2ddf1ff6ce8c4647.jpg
ccbad97dbc7f0ccce54ee708c010fbef.jpg

A 60&42 on a 395

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBK = Big Bore Kit. That bumps the horsepower about 10 to 15%. The displacement and power of that Makita is thus about the same as a Stihl 461 or an 046 Mag. The engine on that Makita was straight gassed by the original owner who sold it to me as a parts saw. When I rebuilt it, I installed the BBK.
ok thanks I had no idea

All I'm cutting is dieing ash. Those trees can be 60 feet tall and 12 inches in diameter. I wish I had something cool to cut up.
Right now I would love to have a dozen of those to help fulfill my firewood delivery demand. Thanks to very wet weather, I am bacled up beyond belief. 'Tis the season.

View attachment 680224 wore out a small Mac and small Homie on this wood.. But it was when I was broke and that was all I had to work with. Got through it and learned a lot. And bigger saws!!!
Done stuff that size with an 011avt. That was before AS told me small saws can't cut big wood.

View attachment 680224 wore out a small Mac and small Homie on this wood.. But it was when I was broke and that was all I had to work with. Got through it and learned a lot. And bigger saws!!!

My first saw was a Homie top handle with 12" bar. Cut up several loads of fair sized Locust with it. That was before I knew you can't cut up 16" logs with a 12" bar. Size of saws and bars grew over the years until the MS441/32" joined the crew in 2014.

My MS 290 with a 20" will get most stuff. But, I too like a bar that goes all the way through a tree when felling, so I have 36's on several saws. Just bought a 45 for the big Homelites to max out my 36" mill. The 660 usually has a 36, but I do like buck with the 660 and a 25. With 20-30 saws at any given time, some of them just have to have bigger bars on them, they just have to.

Most of my cutting is on a landing where a tree service dumps wood. The rest is when my FIL pushes over a line fence. Most of my cutting is smaller trees and I have the option to pick and choose. If I can’t lift it easily I can always leave it behind.

Similarly I collect from a tree service and mostly get by with a ms180 and 14" bar. There's plenty of bigger diameter stuff but it's already bucked to rounds for scroungers like me to lift and take. I occasionally get some larger bits that do need cutting....I got frustrated working through with a small saw. My 'big' saw is a 365 X torq and it has a 20" bar. .. The tree service must need bigger from time to time but I definitely don't! Not yet anyway.

Similarly I collect from a tree service and mostly get by with a ms180 and 14" bar. There's plenty of bigger diameter stuff but it's already bucked to rounds for scroungers like me to lift and take. I occasionally get some larger bits that do need cutting....I got frustrated working through with a small saw. My 'big' saw is a 365 X torq and it has a 20" bar. .. The tree service must need bigger from time to time but I definitely don't! Not yet anyway.

Blasphemy!!!! You always need a bigger saw.

Ah well i wouldnt rule out getting a bigger bar for the 365 xt. i guess it would pull a 28". if i popped the transfer caps off and took a dremel to them to 372 it, i could pull a 32". I have no need for it for now though.

A 28 shouldn’t be an issue my little 562 pulls a 32 without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back