Guide bar for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frans Roodt

Reaction score
Hi guys. I cut and sell firewood in South Africa. Mainly black wattle, blue gum and one or two other species. I have been going through guide bars and chains like crazy. There must be a better option. Is there a guide bar option you would suggest I try that would possibly last longer than the stihl rollomatic. I'm using ms250 and ms260 saws with .325
Chains. Perhaps you can even suggest a bar chain combo. In SA the tech regarding bars is really not understood by the dealerships and to be honest I'm not too sure I'd call myself a pro either. It'd just be such a relief both for my sanity and my wallet if I could get something that'd last a bit longer. Any advice appreciated.

Hi guys. I cut and sell firewood in South Africa. Mainly black wattle, blue gum and one or two other species. I have been going through guide bars and chains like crazy. There must be a better option. Is there a guide bar option you would suggest I try that would possibly last longer than the stihl rollomatic. I'm using ms250 and ms260 saws with .325
Chains. Perhaps you can even suggest a bar chain combo. In SA the tech regarding bars is really not understood by the dealerships and to be honest I'm not too sure I'd call myself a pro either. It'd just be such a relief both for my sanity and my wallet if I could get something that'd last a bit longer. Any advice appreciated.
What bar oil are you using?
what bar length?
how many hours/day, days/week are you cutting?
what type of chain…chisel, semi-chisel?
im guessing the wood is pretty hard.

chain tension, and bar oil are important.
Lots of folks overtighten the chain, then scrap the bar in short order.
Yer manual should have the proper tensioning method... but suffice to say the chain shouldn't sag away from the bar, but still pull away easily with a pinch of the fingers, when in doubt loose is better then tight.

Latest posts

Back