Look what came home with me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only test for rabies, is to examine the 'coons Brain

obviously, leaving you a non-functioning 'Coon :D

Can a quarantine period substitute for decapitation?

You've got to love a church camp with chainsaws and guns!!! :rock:

Yes indeed.:D

Wow! I figgered it out all by myself! Multi-quote one post, hold down the shift key while multi-quoting the second, and Voíla! Cool beans, super-tech style.

You've got to love a church camp with chainsaws and guns!!! :rock:

LOL. I caught the same flack from the guys at work:) This was an annual work week. Mostly men working on projects and cleaning things up. It's not uncommon for someone to have a .22 for critter control. And chainsaws? Well, I was there, so what do you expect? Big trees that are hollow and becoming a liability sounds like a job right up my alley.

BTW, the little critter's doing well. He makes me madder than a hornet though. Here's this little guy who's life depends on me for food. He's too small to make it on his own. Yet he's a pain in the butt to feed. You almost have to force feed him with the bottle. He did take pretty well to a peeled banana. Someone else suggested Cheerios. Honestly, Anna, my nine year old daughter, has the most patience with him and does most of the feeding. He's cute and fun at times, but I'll be glad when he's gone.

Good rescue . It would have died. Only a couple of weeks and it is weaned. Not that I care too much about a wild animal, but I do like to see them have a fighting chance.

LOL. I caught the same flack from the guys at work:) This was an annual work week. Mostly men working on projects and cleaning things up. It's not uncommon for someone to have a .22 for critter control. And chainsaws? Well, I was there, so what do you expect? Big trees that are hollow and becoming a liability sounds like a job right up my alley.

BTW, the little critter's doing well. He makes me madder than a hornet though. Here's this little guy who's life depends on me for food. He's too small to make it on his own. Yet he's a pain in the butt to feed. You almost have to force feed him with the bottle. He did take pretty well to a peeled banana. Someone else suggested Cheerios. Honestly, Anna, my nine year old daughter, has the most patience with him and does most of the feeding. He's cute and fun at times, but I'll be glad when he's gone.

What a great thread!

You're doing a good thing and it's fantastic that your daughter is so involved. What a great live lesson in respect for animals.

Hope you still have all the childproof locks for your cupboards! In a month or so, you'll need them... Those neat little hands will open pretty much anything.

Good pets

This brings back one of the funnier memories of my youth. A classmate and friend found 4 babies in a tree next to the family home. The tree had been hit by lightning, and the mother was killed. Don't have a clue why the babies weren't hurt, lightning is weird. Anyway, after they got bigger, his dad said if he was going to keep them he had to build a cage for them, so he made it a shop project. We were in junior high at the time, and the whole class helped with it. It was built in sections as it was pretty large, and then moved outside and assembled. That is where we ran amok. Once assembled we had to put wire on the INSIDE, because he was told if the wire was on the outside the coons would eat the wood and escape. We told "Danny" that he had to get inside and staple the wire on. Danny was that kid that every class has who is to be honest about it "picked on" he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer to be charitable. Anyway Danny gets in and we all help getting the wire in and secured, and then close the lid and go inside with Danny sitting there in the cage. Well Danny was never one to cause a ruckus, so he just sits there and we all go on to math class sure that someone had let him out. Now this is taking place in November in Iowa, and before global warming, Ha Ha. About half way through math class in comes the Principal, the shop teacher, and a slightly blue Danny. Needless to say there was much a$$ chewing and we were on chore detail for a spell, but at every class reunion one of the stories SURE to be brought up is "hey remember the time we locked Danny in the coon cage?" Sorry to go on, but every time I think of coon's I think of that incident. JR

This brings back one of the funnier memories of my youth. A classmate and friend found 4 babies in a tree next to the family home. The tree had been hit by lightning, and the mother was killed. Don't have a clue why the babies weren't hurt, lightning is weird. Anyway, after they got bigger, his dad said if he was going to keep them he had to build a cage for them, so he made it a shop project. We were in junior high at the time, and the whole class helped with it. It was built in sections as it was pretty large, and then moved outside and assembled. That is where we ran amok. Once assembled we had to put wire on the INSIDE, because he was told if the wire was on the outside the coons would eat the wood and escape. We told "Danny" that he had to get inside and staple the wire on. Danny was that kid that every class has who is to be honest about it "picked on" he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer to be charitable. Anyway Danny gets in and we all help getting the wire in and secured, and then close the lid and go inside with Danny sitting there in the cage. Well Danny was never one to cause a ruckus, so he just sits there and we all go on to math class sure that someone had let him out. Now this is taking place in November in Iowa, and before global warming, Ha Ha. About half way through math class in comes the Principal, the shop teacher, and a slightly blue Danny. Needless to say there was much a$$ chewing and we were on chore detail for a spell, but at every class reunion one of the stories SURE to be brought up is "hey remember the time we locked Danny in the coon cage?" Sorry to go on, but every time I think of coon's I think of that incident. JR

What a coincidence - Danny is the name I gave to mine!!

For food, try dog kibble, canned corn, or canned sardines. They love the stuff, had a few in captivity for a while.

....Yet he's a pain in the butt to feed. You almost have to force feed him with the bottle. He did take pretty well to a peeled banana. Someone else suggested Cheerios.

Corn, sardines, bread. When they get older, crawdads are easy to seine (catch with a net), and goldfish are cheap to buy. Omnivores, they eat almost anything from the table, but that cultivates a taste for domesticated food, rather than catching their own.

I never had one young enough to need nursing, so I have no advice on that.

Most vets won't touch them anymore, as their licenses are on the line if they get caught breaking state laws prohibiting anything. Emergency care or medical treatment is ok, but elective surgery (getting them fixed) or any kind of vaccination is not.

Brad: I have a friend in Oxford, OH that raised a young one and let it go successfully. She kept it outside in a cage with a little house inside where it could sleep and get out of the weather. She used to work for a park service and knows a lot about wild animals - she fed it and didn't handle it too often as she knows not to make wild animals pets (even if they are really cute when they are babies). Everytime you did handle it the little guy would growl and hiss......kind of like a small Tasmanian Devil.

The cage served two purposes...kept the little guy inside and the predators outside. As it got older she would leave the cage door open and the coon would come and go as it pleased. Little by little it stopped coming back and has never been seen since.....it is out doing what wild coons do and has not been back to make itself a nuisance.

LMAO, They soo cute, I raised a few!! keep them till they about 6 months then ditch them, Take it for a long drive and dump it. Better off in the wild.

Back