• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the Echo brand was mentioned, the CS-600p, looks it is the saw for me. It seems that the 20" bar is good for 80% of the stuff I scrounge, but hate having to leave some great stuff because the 46cc saw I have would take way too long to cut.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think my next saw is the Echo CS-600P.

good choice ya can't go wrong with that saw. and it won't break the bank. good luck to ya

I run 24" bars on all three of my 272xp's and they all cost me under 500.00 each. I love these saws. But not like my 288xp's they are my babies run 36" bars on them and they also cut like BEAVERS GONE BERSERK. Also cost less than 500.00 each. Used is the only way to go. I wouldn't pay tax on a saw to go to work and pay tax. I completely agree with cheesecutter. NEVER be afraid to buy a pre-loved saw. Clean her up and treat er like a lady.
What kinda lady you dealing with there? Beavers Gone Berserk. Sounds like a prono gone wrong

If I was interested in a 60cc manual tune I would be looking at the Husky 460, not the 555, which can be had with a 20 inch bar for about $440. Your reference for a 555 is far from the best price and is apples to oranges against any 60 cc Echo that I found. It has a 24 inch bar unlike the 20 on the Echo you linked at the Home Despot. The 555 can be had for about $570 if you shop around a bit. I understand there are small price differences but half price is a ridiculous statement.

If I was interested in a 60cc manual tune I would be looking at the Husky 460, not the 555, which can be had with a 20 inch bar for about $440. Your reference for a 555 is far from the best price and is apples to oranges against any 60 cc Echo that I found. It has a 24 inch bar unlike the 20 on the Echo you linked at the Home Despot. The 555 can be had for about $570 if you shop around a bit. I understand there are small price differences but half price is a ridiculous statement.

Are you saying an Echo 620p won't hang with a 555?

Nope. I have no idea what that Echo might or might not do. I know darned well that I can never tune a saw as well as an auto tune though.

THis is the best price I've seen for this. Looks to be a no brainer. The 5 year warranty and the reviews on every site are great. Really TOUGH to beat..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321568461845?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If you are willing to spend $575 on that 600p, be patient and wait for a 620p. Same weight as the 600p but puts out 13% more power. My wife bought me one this last Christmas for $579 (free shipping) brand new off Ebay. If you are intent on a 24" bar and you bury it often, you will be happier (with either saw) running a skip chain.

Keep your eye out for a used Stihl ms-362 or a Husky 562xp. The problem I had (at least in our area) was the "nice" used ones were going for about the same price as a new 620p. That made the 620p at $579 a no brainer.

I have a nice clean 039 with brand new 20" bar and chain for 400.00 shipped new clutch, sprocket, bearing, and clutch drum cover

Ok, will do. The 5 year warranty is killer. Plus made in USA or Japan is nice too. I just emailed this guy to see if he can quote me a good price with a 24" bar on a 620P.

Thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-Chain-...ing-Oil-File-/321568461824?fromMakeTrack=true

That Ebay seller (turfandlandscape) is where my wife bought my 620p before Christmas for $579 (free shipping/no tax). They went to $609 right after she bought. If you want to contact them directly...maybe save $$$ taking Ebay out of the transaction (doesn't hurt to ask):

Dickens Supply
PO Box 70877
Nashville, TN 37207
615-227-1111

Good choice. I think that is about $30 cheaper than what local dealers are running for prices. Let us know how it runs. I have heard they are lean out of the box and should be a little richer.

be careful with skip tooth. It is usually used on long bars and for soft wood. It puts more stress on your crank bearings and can cause vibrations if you are into smaller cuts. The reason being is that with small diameter logs you have very few teeth in the cut. This can cause your saw to want to suck into the cut. Just throwing that out there.

I wouldn't run skip on a bar shorter than 28". I run .404 skip tooth on my 066 with a 36" bar. All my saws with 24" and under I run full comp.

This might give you some perspective. I have had a Stihl 034 for 20 years and have used it quite a bit. I heat strictly with wood. I have a 20" bar on it and keep my chain nice and sharp.
I kinda like the idea of a new saw but this one starts every time and runs strong. What more could I want.
In my opinion 20" is a long enough bar. I can remember only a few times when more would have been better. Also, the longer the bar the more dangerous it is for you.
Always take a few seconds to make sure you stay safe.

Live a positive life!

Latest posts

Back