Lost cir clip on wrist pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize for steering the thread off course but I have a question. I don't remember which saw I was working on so don't ask . I had to change the piston and the clip had no ears and the piston had no "notch out". I had chassed that clip round and round in the grove for maybe 20 minutes . I used picks screwdrivers a whole bunch of different tools trying to get one end up out of the grove but no luck .
Maybe the clip was the wrong one who knows? I ended up taking a Dremel wheel and wearing it down on a scrap piece of steel to get it small enough to fit in the 10 mm hole. Then I took the wheel and ground about 1/2 way through the clip so I could weaken it enough to bend it in upon itself so I could get a grip on it. Then it came out easy as pie. What was the correct way to get the clip out?

Here’s how I do it. Lots of experience upgrading my 045 & 056 Sihll fleet pistons to the modern earless clips.

Spin the clip opening to where you want the removal notch to be, then use a Dremel & 1/8” burr to make the divot in the open clip area.

Look at a piston with the notch already in it, if you need an example.

Spin the clip leg back over the divot & remove the clip. Takes three minutes.

Just remember to make the divot first if you’re putting in a new piston assembly, and it’s a whole lot easier then!

No problem with a notch, pistons don’t spin.

Google up some old OMC or Johnson outboard piston pics, they’ll have massive diverters cast into the crown.

Balanced?, not a chance.

Back