Lots of Stickers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know this sounds a bit out there, but I am trying to be ready for when the miller gets here.
I'm in need of a lot of stickers for a few large trees I'm milling with a band saw mill.
I have a local portable miller that will do the milling but I don't have any stickers for stacking my slabs.
Besides making them, where can you get some. A local mill sell them maybe?

Wouldn't hurt to check with your local mill. Maybe the sawyer has a connection.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I sell them for .50 ea... IF they bring them back later (in the same condition) I give them .30 ea. back... No one ever brings them back. SO, call a couple sawmills around you and ask if you can buy some stickers, you want DRY ones...

Not too long ago, I milled out a couple hundred out of some Aspen...

standard.jpg

It was an Aspen that the wind had blown over some time ago and I milled them two at a time,

standard.jpg

It goes pretty fast to mill out a bunch of flitches and them put them back on the bunks to mill again,

standard.jpg

and S :) :) N I had a pretty good pile,

standard.jpg

As a last resort, you could go down and buy some 3/4" ply wood and use a circle saw to cut 1" strips out of it. A couple sheets would make a LOT of stickers!!

SR

5/16" really isn't thick enough to make stickers, I would not go thinner than 3/4" and for cabinet wood I don't want wider than 1"...

SR

I sell them for .50 ea... IF they bring them back later (in the same condition) I give them .30 ea. back... No one ever brings them back. SO, call a couple sawmills around you and ask if you can buy some stickers, you want DRY ones...

Not too long ago, I milled out a couple hundred out of some Aspen...

standard.jpg

It was an Aspen that the wind had blown over some time ago and I milled them two at a time,

standard.jpg

It goes pretty fast to mill out a bunch of flitches and them put them back on the bunks to mill again,

standard.jpg

and S :) :) N I had a pretty good pile,

standard.jpg

As a last resort, you could go down and buy some 3/4" ply wood and use a circle saw to cut 1" strips out of it. A couple sheets would make a LOT of stickers!!

SR
Thanks Rob.
I knew I could count on you for some good info.
I'll try my local mills and the plywood trick as a backup.

5/16" really isn't thick enough to make stickers, I would not go thinner than 3/4" and for cabinet wood I don't want wider than 1"...
a good idea. thanks

Other sizes available too. e.g. '1 x 2 Furring Strip' (actual Size 5/8" x 1-3/8" x 8') about $1.20. With a bandsaw you could rip any dimensional lumber to size. Depends on your time, volume, needs, etc.

Philbert

When I mill a log, my first cut is a slabbing cut. Then I drop down 1" and make another cut. This flitch is mostly growth wood so I put it aside.
Rotate the log 90 degrees and repeat cutting down in 1" increments till I have a squared cant the size I want to make boards out of.
The 1" thick flitches can then be resawn into 1x1 stickers either on a bandmill or table saw.

Back