Mcculloch 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My brother dropped off a Mcculloch 250 this morning. Fires with fuel prime to carb but won't stay running. Is this saw worth repairing?

Would also like a little history on these if anybody has some info.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got her running.

I pulled the fuel line and sprayed carb cleaner into the fuel inlet. After a couple of failed attempts the saw sputtered to life and responds well to the throttle.

Is there a way to put the throttle on fast idle or was this made before they did such a thing.

Sounds pretty awsome by the way.

I just got one recently and it will arrive someday .... the only difficult thing is locating the right bar for it. Takes the 'old large' Mac mount where the slot is open at the end.

Yep, the old Macs sound awesome!

My brother dropped off a Mcculloch 250 this morning. Fires with fuel prime to carb but won't stay running. Is this saw worth repairing?

Would also like a little history on these if anybody has some info.

I pulled the fuel line and sprayed carb cleaner into the fuel inlet. After a couple of failed attempts the saw sputtered to life and responds well to the throttle.

Is there a way to put the throttle on fast idle or was this made before they did such a thing.

Sounds pretty awsome by the way.

The 250 is a 80cc saw made throughout the 60s. Could have either a Tilloston or Mac carb on it, I believe most of the 250s came with the Tilly carb on them. It does not have a high idle, if tuned well should be able to start without holding the throttle open. Otherwise high idle is holding the throttle with one hand and pulling with the other. It is definitely worth going through, they are a lot of fun to run.

That saw looks pretty good! I'd clean it up good and see what it looks like before I painted it... there's nothing like original paint even if it's not 100% perfect. I used to have a 250, great old saw but that .404 chain is hard to find

Actually after I ran the carb cleaner through the carb, it runs great and starts easily with no throttle hold. I was just curious because the starting instructions state to engage the throttle when starting. I degunked it a bit this morning and it looks better already.

The 404 chain is shot and will definately be replaced.

The old 250 has infected as many with the Yellow Fever as the 10-10. The are very common, very robust, parts are easy to find. They do all things McCulloch, should you only want one McCulloch, a 250 will fill the bill.
Changing to a rim sprocket makes buying chain a snap, find an 8 pin 3/8" sprocket and go cut wood.

This is my beater 250.
shop002-1.jpg

The old 250 has infected as many with the Yellow Fever as the 10-10. The are very common, very robust, parts are easy to find. They do all things McCulloch, should you only want one McCulloch, a 250 will fill the bill.
Changing to a rim sprocket makes buying chain a snap, find an 8 pin 3/8" sprocket and go cut wood.

This is my beater 250.
shop002-1.jpg

Is that a Tillotson carb? Also my on/off switch is on the side.

Is that a Tillotson carb? Also my on/off switch is on the side.

Oh yeah, a picture of parts interchangeability. The flywheel cover came off a Super 250, the starter from a 1-50, the airbox cover I use is from a 200. I use this 250 as a test bed for carbs. That Flatback installed is for a Super 250. It has been converted to a rim sprocket system, in five minutes I can change it to whatever I feel the need for.

Back