Mcculloch Pro Mac 850

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrushMonkey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

Saved a PM 850 from the scrap pile. Was at a Steam Show and this saw was in the parts/repair bin for $10. Seller threw 2 other mccullochs away but decided to sell this one.... Pulled on the yarn and it had more than enough compression to run, at that point I was a buyer.

Well now it's running and cutting wood. Basic carb clean & new fuel is all it took.

Piston has some scuffing on intake side. Enough to catch my nail, haven't checked exhaust yet. SO here's where I need help. Where to find pistons/cylinder for this saw? Bar dogs? Compression release or delete (it's oilely and likely leaking)?

I know zero about mccullochs so shed some light on this old workhorse for me. I'll be keeping it and putting it to work as a bucking saw.

Attachments

• 20230825_190858.jpg
    20230825_190858.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
You can a find a new Piston & Jug, Gaskets and Seals off "Lil' Red Barn".

Felling dog on eBay.

And do a Decomp. Delete.

Hope this helps,

Mad3400

Hello all,

Saved a PM 850 from the scrap pile. Was at a Steam Show and this saw was in the parts/repair bin for $10. Seller threw 2 other mccullochs away but decided to sell this one.... Pulled on the yarn and it had more than enough compression to run, at that point I was a buyer.

Well now it's running and cutting wood. Basic carb clean & new fuel is all it took.

Piston has some scuffing on intake side. Enough to catch my nail, haven't checked exhaust yet. SO here's where I need help. Where to find pistons/cylinder for this saw? Bar dogs? Compression release or delete (it's oilely and likely leaking)?

I know zero about mccullochs so shed some light on this old workhorse for me. I'll be keeping it and putting it to work as a bucking saw.
Help for parts:

Gasket kits I make at www.oldsawshop.com https://www.arboristsite.com/members/rallyeguy.158926/
Lots of oem parts Mark Heimann [email protected] https://www.arboristsite.com/members/heimannm.8552/
Lots of oem parts Max Rowe https://www.arboristsite.com/members/knightmax.170890/

You can a find a new Piston & Jug, Gaskets and Seals off "Lil' Red Barn".

Felling dog on eBay.

And do a Decomp. Delete.

Hope this helps,

Mad3400
I would not recommend LRB pistons. They have created many issues.

I would also make sure the cylinder is a Qport if doing a decomp delete.

Tools, parts and pieces are slowly trickling in by snail mail. For my own OCD I wanted to get base numbers of this saw before any changes. Comp test tells me to run the saw as is but still waiting on a mittyvac to test the seals.
Cold psi was 158 with decomp valve installed, which surprised me with the damaged piston although all the nicks were below the rings.

This was with the echo compression tester. tested my other saws for comparison.
Pm 850 158psi
066 155psi
046 138psi (new piston & rings)
261 168psi

Now all of these still have decomps installed and the 046 has little run time since new piston and rings. Unknown run time on the 3 older saws. 261 I bought new 4 years ago.

Latest posts

Back