McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macs have the model number stamped on the block. Flip the saw over and you will have your answer.
Yeah Guido, usually they do. However, what turns out to be a 1-70 that I have here was "unobtainum". As I was browsing the images, there were several models that are very similar in appearance but the 1-70 has a slightly different air filter "hood" than the others. At this point, that's all I'm really going on. Any idea where the tag is supposed to be on that model? Most of my older Macs are pretty easy to locate, this 1-70 is my "newest" model (87cc).

Mike Acres site provides a image below the specs and it confirms also.

Most of the older large frame McCulloch saws have the model and serial numbers stamped on the bottom of the crankcase.

Everything after the 44/55 saws had the hinged cover up to the CP/PM/SP models so all the 44/55S & SA, 1-70/80 Series and 700/800 Series. I am still looking for a 1-75...

Mike Acres site is very good but it does have a few errors. Even so it is the best resource on the net for saw information.

Mark

Most of the older large frame McCulloch saws have the model and serial numbers stamped on the bottom of the crankcase.

Everything after the 44/55 saws had the hinged cover up to the CP/PM/SP models so all the 44/55S & SA, 1-70/80 Series and 700/800 Series. I am still looking for a 1-75...

Mike Acres site is very good but it does have a few errors. Even so it is the best resource on the net for saw information.

Mark
I sure don't see it, Mark, I'll clean it up better tomorrow and take another look. Do you have one of this model?

I will also try to post some pics tomorrow

I have all except the 1-75 and 797. Some are better condition than others. My 55, 1-85, and 1-72 are all very good runners.

Mark
Maybe I should have taken notice of your sig (one day I'll make one of those). Kind of figured you were needing a specific model to complete a line-up. Isn't there a 47? Seems like I have 1 or 2 of those. I'm getting my accumulation organized and preparing to move a lot of them on to new homes, I just can't hang on to 'em forever.

I thought I had this all figured out, but now I have a question. I thought the 47 had the "hump" in the gas tank, but I discovered that it's flat like the 3-25. I have a saw here that's missing the tag. What external indicators, other than the wrap handle, differentiate a 3-25 from a 47. This particular saw has the wrap that crosses under the saw and terminates at the side of the flywheel shroud, which I believe is predominant on the 3-25. From what I can tell, the 47 is a full wrap, crossing over in front of the cylinder. I suspect there must be something besides the wrap to determine a positive ID. Could somebody please enlighten me?

I thought I had this all figured out, but now I have a question. I thought the 47 had the "hump" in the gas tank, but I discovered that it's flat like the 3-25. I have a saw here that's missing the tag. What external indicators, other than the wrap handle, differentiate a 3-25 from a 47. This particular saw has the wrap that crosses under the saw and terminates at the side of the flywheel shroud, which I believe is predominant on the 3-25. From what I can tell, the 47 is a full wrap, crossing over in front of the cylinder. I suspect there must be something besides the wrap to determine a positive ID. Could somebody please enlighten me?
Only the 3-25 has the handle which curls up into a rubber grommet in the fan shroud.

Only the 3-25 has the handle which curls up into a rubber grommet in the fan shroud.
Yeah, that confirms what I had pretty much determined. The saw in question is missing that shroud but it has the handle, which does terminate at that point. I was curious if there were any other differences, just in case the wrap handle had been swapped (which isn't likely).

I wanted to thank everyone on here for creating such a wealth of information about old Macs.
It would have taken me forever to get my McCulloch 200 put together and running without this forum.
This weekend its going to get put through its paces by a 30+ year veteran of tree work, hopefully it decides to behave...
1118dcf6c3cecb6d2ee5f62ab31cc5f1.jpg

Thanks for the good wishes, Mark.
Here's wishing you and family a Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year!!
Ken

And the same wishes I send to all AS members!!

towingace, Mac made a lot of parts changes in the 3-25 from the very first ones in October 1949 through to the last one in March 1953. Aside from the distinctive frame ("handle bar"), which was only issued on the 3-25, there were many parts which were only issued on that model. Some of them could be fitted onto 4-30, 47, 4-30A, 73 and even 77 models, but were only originally parts of a 3-25... or 3-25 parts got out of a dealer's stock... Interchangeability of parts in that series of Macs can make for some interesting frankensaws... but an experienced Old Mac guy can usually pin the model even of lots of parts have been swapped and there's no ID tag... There's a long thread about Early Mac Serial Numbers and features in the chainsaw collectors' forum, history section.

Thanks Ken, I dug out some more saws and found a couple 47's. I parked one of them beside the 3-25's and did some comparing and I noticed a few subtle differences. When I have more time I'm going to give them a closer examination. It's interesting that parts interchange on that many models. Thanks again and Happy Holidays

Latest posts

Back