McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zack_M

Zack_M

ArboristSite Member
Thanks.
I think I'm going to start with the 55. I started cleaning off some of the built up grease/dirt and was surprised how good everything looks. Working on cleaning up the wiring/coil/points to see if it has spark.

The place I picked these up also had a MacCat and a Mac 3516.
At first glance they looked much newer, are they worth picking up?

Zack_M

Zack_M

ArboristSite Member
Trying to adjust the carberator after the rebuild.
I warmed it up for several minutes then cut a chunk out of an old oak stump. I was a bit surprised that it bogged down the way it did but this is my first old Mac.
The bar is a NOS 24 hardnose and the chain is brand new Carlton B3 .404 pitch Standard Chisel chain.
It's running 89 octane non-ethanol fuel mixed 20:1.
The plug is clean but unfortunately I can't find my feeler gauges or gap tool so I had to eyeball it.
I'm not familiar with the tone or feel of these saws so I was hoping someone could watch the video and tell me if it sounds off.

OldDeadWood

OldDeadWood

ArboristSite Operative
Trying to adjust the carberator after the rebuild.
I warmed it up for several minutes then cut a chunk out of an old oak stump. I was a bit surprised that it bogged down the way it did but this is my first old Mac.
The bar is a NOS 24 hardnose and the chain is brand new Carlton B3 .404 pitch Standard Chisel chain.
It's running 89 octane non-ethanol fuel mixed 20:1.
The plug is clean but unfortunately I can't find my feeler gauges or gap tool so I had to eyeball it.
I'm not familiar with the tone or feel of these saws so I was hoping someone could watch the video and tell me if it sounds off.

It sounds lean. Open the high screw a good half turn. When it's not in wood and you go wide open it should burble and gurgle which is what they call four cycle. It should smooth out when you start the cut and run smooth. Keep giving it more gas on the High screw until it does, about an 1/8 turn at a time. It will have more power.

ODW

Zack_M

Zack_M

ArboristSite Member
I'll give that a try first thing in the morning, its a wonder why my neighbors absolutely love me.
I finally found my feeler gauges and the gap was around .035 so I fixed that.
Hopefully I can have some fun with it tomorrow and this weekend!

watchamakalit

watchamakalit

ArboristSite Operative
Ok I'm working on my 250. I finally got it running now on to the other issues. It's been cobbled together as far as the throttle linkage goes but I have a question about the oiler. It seems the oil port doesn't line up with the bar hole. I think there is a homemade repair involved causing the problem but I'm not sure. Does that little aluminum block look factory?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420195377959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420195377959.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420195463871.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420195463871.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 17
Nickolas

Nickolas

Retired and messing around with old stuff...
Picked up this beauty for $80 Saturday. It came with what looks to be a 36" original bar. Supposedly the seller had it running but I don't see proof of that. The recoil is missing a few parts but turning the flywheel by hand it feels good. Took the muffler off and the cylinder/piston look good. I think it was a decent buy. I figured it would have the model stamped on the bottom of the case like most macs as I wanted to confirm it was truly a 77. However I couldn't find any stamping. Did the older, pre 1960 saws not have that? I have several old mcculloch with original bars but this is the first bar Ive seen with two geese printed in the log as well. Looks very neat!
View attachment 390081 View attachment 390082

The gear box oil has been drained. I have some old cans of mcculloch gear case oil but what oil do you guys pout in your gear drive saws?

Ive also got a lead on a mac 660. Non running. Whats a fair asking price for this saw? The seller wants $100 I offered $50 havent heard back.

Thanks
Lucky you...I been hunting for one of them awhile now with no luck..you ever decide to sell it give me a shout...

Your saw certainly looks like a 77. I tell ya you get that puppy running and you will know for sure from the power it has. These saws are easy to work on and among my favorite to collect and run. If you are mechanically inclined you can easily get it running. Carbs are easy to rebuild and adjust, points you can file and adjust. Good saw.

Nickolas

Nickolas

067e37a5b15139d4d264d5da0eadf5e1.jpg

f44e47d820db99e2b4c497369cf21122.jpg

50832aa8ab15ebddf93849683e9726b0.jpg

I picked up this 73 awhile back and she screams. Has a nice old H&S spike on it. Great running saw. Has a loop of 1/2" 9L chisel also. I rebuilt the primer and oiler and put fresh gaskets in it and it is a beast. Weighs about 42lbs but I don't use it on a regular basis. It's a bit heavy for me but I love running it. It has the hockey mask side cover. 120cc like the 77 but a little different yet the same basically. I love these big old saws they are a piece of McCulloch history. I need a 77 to sit along beside it ....

Nickolas

Nickolas

Ok I'm working on my 250. I finally got it running now on to the other issues. It's been cobbled together as far as the throttle linkage goes but I have a question about the oiler. It seems the oil port doesn't line up with the bar hole. I think there is a homemade repair involved causing the problem but I'm not sure. Does that little aluminum block look factory?
It looks different than the ones I have on my saws. Yours is more square where mine are more rounded on the edges. Should be a ball and spring behind that plate. Can't remember if anything else it's been awhile since I took one apart. It does look different though...

crazy4saws

crazy4saws

ArboristSite Member
Hey Nickolas, thanks for the reply. As of now it will be going into my collection. Saws tend to not leave my shop unless it's a customers haha. If I need to rebuild the carb or primer and need parts are they still around? You mentioned you rebuilt the primer and carb, did you need parts and if so where did you do?

Once the saw is running I will post a video.

This weekend I plan on reading more of Marks threads on mcculloch carbs. Good reading!

Thanks guys

heimannm
The carburetor on the old saws are altogether different from the more conventional later versions. You really have to study them to understand how they were intended to operate.

There should be a ball and spring, the second check valve in the system. The IPL should tell you the diameter, McMaster Carr sells packs of 100 for next to nothing.

Mark

Nickolas

Nickolas

Hey Nickolas, thanks for the reply. As of now it will be going into my collection. Saws tend to not leave my shop unless it's a customers haha. If I need to rebuild the carb or primer and need parts are they still around? You mentioned you rebuilt the primer and carb, did you need parts and if so where did you do?

Once the saw is running I will post a video.

This weekend I plan on reading more of Marks threads on mcculloch carbs. Good reading!

Thanks guys
Parts are out there if your patient and look around. I been at it awhile now so i have some parts and pieces laying around. Sometimes i have to hunt for items though especially on the 50's saws but sooner or later I seem to get lucky. There are still a lot of parts and pieces around for these old saws it seems. I find stuff all the time. Can't believe some of the things I have found. Its fun bringing these old dinosaurs back to life and running them. I'll carry one of these around in the woods any day over a plastic POS. Too easy to rebuild and run plus they sound great. I'm hooked on them gear drives.

Nick

Latest posts