McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter - My guess is the tank on that saw came from an SP80 or 81, the PM850 tanks were yellow. The skid plate is the right one for the PM850.

None the less, a PM850 is a fun saw to run.

Mark
Hi Mark , what black pull starter cover fits the 850 as the one on mine doesnt fit , other models i mean
also is there any thing missing between the black cover and the yellow housing
Peter
22554273_2384735315085089_394775305_n.png

Peter - I believe the starter on that saw came from a CPL70 or one of the other few models that had the three piece starter screen. The starter from any saw with the one piece screen (99% of all LH start 10 Series) will fit correctly.

I will take a look at some saws tonight to try and confirm that is the case, but if you look at the photo below you will see the different arrangement on saws with the three piece screen.

20170922_194231.jpg

20170922_194250.jpg

Mark

Peter - I believe the starter on that saw came from a CPL70 or one of the other few models that had the three piece starter screen. The starter from any saw with the one piece screen (99% of all LH start 10 Series) will fit correctly.

I will take a look at some saws tonight to try and confirm that is the case, but if you look at the photo below you will see the different arrangement on saws with the three piece screen.

View attachment 607664

View attachment 607665

Mark
Thanks Mark , this housing on mine was done up and couldnt pull the cord to turn it over , looks like mine is not flush with the housing like yours
It should sit flush and pull over ,, CORRECT
You wouldnt have a spare starter and the housing you want to sell would you , im willing to pay postage as i think the bolt holes on mine might be stuffed , had wood screws in

Thanks Mark , this housing on mine was done up and couldnt pull the cord to turn it over , looks like mine is not flush with the housing like yours
It should sit flush and pull over ,, CORRECT
You wouldnt have a spare starter and the housing you want to sell would you , im willing to pay postage as i think the bolt holes on mine might be stuffed , had wood screws in

You sure someone didn't just take it apart to try to fix a spring or replace a cord and didn't get it together correctly? They can be a bit finicky. If you take it off you should be able to assess what is wrong. It should pull over freely when off and retract correctly. If the engine crank can be turned over then the recoil should work with it. But if the spring is messed up obviously the recoil won't pull even when off the machine.

Rob

You sure someone didn't just take it apart to try to fix a spring or replace a cord and didn't get it together correctly? They can be a bit finicky. If you take it off you should be able to assess what is wrong. It should pull over freely when off and retract correctly. If the engine crank can be turned over then the recoil should work with it. But if the spring is messed up obviously the recoil won't pull even when off the machine.

Rob
Thanks Rob , it all works when taken off ,
ill see how it looks today and take some pics
Peter

The starter and flywheel cover from any LH start 10 Series will fit, you may need to add a hole or two as the 82 cc models had an extra screw in the bottom of the flywheel housing. I made up some simple templates to help me locate the extra holes.

View attachment 607673

View attachment 607674

Mark
Ill check it out and get back to you Mark , now its day light
Ill get some pics and we can go from there , hopefully we can work this out
Peter

How d

How dirty was the carb initially? I think you may be right about a fuel supply issue. It could be the screen under the small welsh getting clogged when you throttle up. It's a very small screen with a very small circlip and does not take much to disrupt the fuel flow. The clip is kind of a pain to reinstall. The last time I did one I used 2 small strait edge screw drivers from a mini screwdriver kit.

I just found this vid to show you what to look for.

Pulled that screen and it was dirty but a bigger issue may be the check valve itself. The fiber/rubber disk has delaminated so on a steady pull of fuel perhaps it tends to work its way into the high jet. Gotta nake a better disk

Pulled that screen and it was dirty but a bigger issue may be the check valve itself. The fiber/rubber disk has delaminated so on a steady pull of fuel perhaps it tends to work its way into the high jet. Gotta nake a better disk
What's the best way to re install those Welch plugs? And also a friend of mine said you should seal them with clear nail polish. Is this true?

What's the best way to re install those Welch plugs? And also a friend of mine said you should seal them with clear nail polish. Is this true?
I lay the plugs in, convex side up, making sure they are in flat in the pocket. I drive them flush with the well-centred and plumb head of a roofing nail. I use a nail that has a bigger diameter face than the plug. It will help from driving them beyond flush. You do not want to dimple them in. It would make future removal (picking or drilling) riskier if you drive too far through. Make sure you have the carb well supported and give them a good tap on the first strike so they grab and hold.

I've heard of guys "sealing" with polish. If they are leaking after installation there is something wrong/defective. Polishes are not all created equally. I have seen some turn to jelly in short order in different fuels. That sort of thing could foul up a low or high speed circuit in a hurry. Just saying.

I use a set of transfer punches, select one that nearly matches the diameter of the welch plug and lay the flat end of the punch on the plug and give it a tap. No sealer is needed if the welch plug is the correct size and properly installed. Any large, flat face punch will work but they work best when the diameter of the punch is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the welch plug.

Spikes for which model(s)? customchainsawparts almost always has some for both the large frame saws and for the 10 Series $12 each + shipping. The same spikes fit the PM 10 Series and the 600 Series McCulloch saws.

Mark

According to Acresinternet, the BP-1 takes 9/16" chain, is that accurate?

I always thought the BP-1 used 1/2" chain...

The reason I ask,
A friend just got one w/o a bar or chain, and wants the right size chain for it.
Thanks!

The OEM chain for the BP-1 was 1/2" pitch but used a unique driver and sprocket. I don't have any photos of the chain right now so you'll have to take my word for it.

Good news is the output shaft is 19/32" like all the other late model gear drive saws so the same spur sprockets fit the BP-1. customchainsawparts has .404 available for around $17 + shipping, 1/2" for $12 if I recall. There were a few rim type sprockets made to fit the gear drive saws as well but those can be hard to find.

A few guys made some adapters to put a spline on the output shaft which allows them to run any chain they want.

IMG_0813 (640x480).jpg

DSC05019.JPG

OEM self sharpening chain:

DSCN0029.JPG

There is a keyway in the output shaft but it is not visible in the photo below.

DSCN2963.jpg

Mark

The OEM chain for the BP-1 was 1/2" pitch but used a unique driver and sprocket. I don't have any photos of the chain right now so you'll have to take my word for it.

Good news is the output shaft is 19/32" like all the other late model gear drive saws so the same spur sprockets fit the BP-1. customchainsawparts has .404 available for around $17 + shipping, 1/2" for $12 if I recall. There were a few rim type sprockets made to fit the gear drive saws as well but those can be hard to find.

A few guys made some adapters to put a spline on the output shaft which allows them to run any chain they want.

View attachment 607828

View attachment 607830

OEM self sharpening chain:

View attachment 607826

There is a keyway in the output shaft but it is not visible in the photo below.

View attachment 607827

Mark
Thank you!

Got the carb kit for the CP70. No main check disk in kit and none available. Anyone have tips on making such?
Near as I can measure it is 0.006" thick and 0.220" diameter. Likely old pump material would work but how to cut it?
Hmmmmm

View attachment 607664

View attachment 607665

Mark
I keep looking for a pull start like that with the roller in it. Those things are hard to find.

Brian

I use a set of transfer punches, select one that nearly matches the diameter of the welch plug and lay the flat end of the punch on the plug and give it a tap. No sealer is needed if the welch plug is the correct size and properly installed. Any large, flat face punch will work but they work best when the diameter of the punch is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the welch plug.

Spikes for which model(s)? customchainsawparts almost always has some for both the large frame saws and for the 10 Series $12 each + shipping. The same spikes fit the PM 10 Series and the 600 Series McCulloch saws.

Mark

PM700 and PM610. Now I see the holes are there, what do I need to install spikes? Drill and tap? Bolt and nut? They look so bare without them. They look like a beast with a nice pair of spikes.

Back