McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THanks for the reply Ron There should be no play in the crank bearing at all right? Are there any aftermarket needle bearings without needles that fall out I don't really like the removable needles kinda a pita

Sorry, but I'm no help with the bearings.

Mark mentioned the crankshaft lengths of the 82cc saws. I didn't measure it but the newer ones with the taller fin flywheels appear to be about 3/8" shorter. Here is a picture I just took of the 850 crank Brian replaced in the RandyMac special and the 800 crank out of my cold seized A cylinder project. The blocks are square to each other.

IMG_2885.JPG

Brian and I cut a little today. He bucked firewood and I fell a few dead red oaks. I really like the way the 800 cuts with .404.

Some 800 stump shots of the last three of the day (last picture shows a hinge experiment to slow the tree that didn't work as planned - operator error not the 800's fault). Ron

IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2870.JPG IMG_2876.JPG

PTO side bearing is BH108, since this is a plain needle bearing there will always be some radial movement, even 0.003" would be like new. The PTO side seal is SFK6119.

You need to do some very serious testing to make sure the crankcase passes pressure and vacuum tests and check the condition of your intake boot before you go on. Where are you getting replacement pistons and are you sure they are the correct match for your cylinder?

Since the 850 is a chrome bore you should not be using a hone, a little scotch brite perhaps to remove and aluminum transfer.

Mark

I just found a new crank and bearings on ebay so I bought it the pto side bearing rubber was pretty hard and had quite a bit of play im no expert but it seemed like it would indeed leak and when I turned the saw on that side it stalled that's not a good sign right?I found a piston kit from Lil red barn on ebay same as the stock piston the intake boot is good. Why is it bad to use a hone on this cylinder?

Yeah my cylinder is a B I measured the piston
So what do i do for the scratches in the cylinder if I can't hone them is it bad if you take the chrome off lol won't the piston still go up and down haha what's so special about it

Yeah my cylinder is a B I measured the piston
So what do i do for the scratches in the cylinder if I can't hone them is it bad if you take the chrome off lol won't the piston still go up and down haha what's so special about it

The chrome provides a hard wear surface. Similar to a sleeve. If you remove the chrome and just had the bare aluminum of the cylinder head it wouldn't last long, I don't think.

Rob

Scratches or aluminum transfer? If scratches, short of a rechrome I would put it back together and run it. Transfer - just sand it off - look up one of the no acid threads. I ruined a cylinder with acid once.

Ron

Find another condenser, you will like the spark with that old magneto.

That is Vanguard chain, I send all mine to Philbert...

Speaking of sawdust screens for the 10 Series, I am have some Engineers innovating with our 3D printer where I work, part is currently being printed in PETG.

View attachment 620189

View attachment 620190

View attachment 620191

I've got a couple going out for some testing by members, hope to have them available early next year.

Mark

I recently purchased a 10-10 with the sawdust screens missing and they are hard to find online. These replacement parts look awesome, are they available yet? If so, how can order one. Thank you for your time.

I recently purchased a 10-10 with the sawdust screens missing and they are hard to find online. These replacement parts look awesome, are they available yet? If so, how can order one. Thank you for your time.
Dust screens look great.. Hope they get into production soon so I can take the window screen off my 10-10.. Kidding, (kinda).

I have one last question...if the cylinder on my 850 is toast can I swap it for another one from a different model if yes which ones would be compatable?

I have several of the 10 Series sawdust screens printed in ABS, they look better than the test pieces. Send a PM for details.

Still down with the current flu bug, haven't been to work in 7 days...this is really bad.

Mark
He really means it when he says the flu is bad...
[emoji40][emoji855]

Latest posts

Back