McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy on a facebook site just posted where he found a new 10-10s at a dealer that had never been sold. Why cannot I find deals like that.

41845941_2232041576810670_3178396839808335872_n.jpg

He is asking where he should run it or not. NO SALE IT TO ME!!!...lol

Brian

I found a NOS PM8200 for a good deal. I had to get rid of it because I wanted to use it but I knew it was worth a lot more money if I sold it as new. I decided then that I didn’t want anymore NOS chainsaws because I’m not much of a collector.

If I had kept it another three or four more years I probably could’ve got even more money out of it. I see these things getting more and more money.

Ron it does seam like most of the 10-10s that you see is clean and mostly unused or little use, wonder why that is? Mine was very clean until I got it. I use the heck out of it and it seams to run great and is very reliable. Starts easy, cuts nicely.

Mark, The last one you redone yo said that the cylinder was messed up on. I am taking it that the cylinder is a chrome bore, am I right?

Brian

My guess is that a lot were sold after a storm blew a tree over and the HO got a tree service quote. Used once and stuck in garage. Seems a lot of 50 to 60 cc saws are sold like that. Guy says he needs a big saw and the wise dealer sells him a mid-range saw. I found two cherry MS361s while on vacation this summer. Both in cases, original bar and chain with owner manual. Different owners on opposite coasts. Both bargains but too far for me to drive.

Ron

Personally, I am a collector of sorts nut I dont own shelf queens. If I cant run it, I wont own it. That said, I wouldnt be able to get fuel in that saw fast enough. A saw has Zero value if it's not cutting firewood for me.

A 10-10S is what started my appreciation of Macs and desire to get a few more of its bigger brothers. Ours was purchased new in the early 80's by my dad and was used to cut a TON of wood. We had several groves of elms that we lost to Dutch Elm disease in the 80's - dozens of trees a year. But the 10-10S was taken care of and still looks quite fresh and runs very well.

My personal theory is that saws that were used by a homeowner and kept on site tend to look a lot more like new than ones that were thrown in the back of pickup trucks and taken around to job sites or wood lots and got beat up bouncing around back there. I have nothing solid to back that up though, just a hunch.

Rob

As near as I can tell, other than the sticker the differences are the Special Edition is assembled with socket head fasteners and the regular 10-10S uses slotted screws (starter, flywheel cover, oil tank cover). The other difference I noticed was the SE has a spark arrestor screen in addition to the baffle, the regular has only the baffle but it is possible neither one are original. There may be other differences but that's what I have detected.

I do have more than a few saws that are/will be shelf setters only but I also have more than enough saws that run & cut so I don't feel bad about having some lookers on display. I can only think of two saw I currently own that have never been fueled, both are Mini Mac models. I had a PM6 at one time and sold it...now I wish I'd have kept it for the museum. I also had a NIB PM800 go through but I bought that one on behalf of another member.

Mark

I bet so.

Mark, my 10-10S has the cap screws in the starter cover but does not have the special edition sticker. That does not mean that it never had it and someone peeled it off or that the starter cover got broken and it was replaced with a SE cover. Who knows. Never had the muffler apart but it would be a good idea to clean it if it does have a screen in it. Had a fellow Wood Ministry president bring me his orange hedge trimmer that would not rev up. It turned out to be the screen clogged up. Have seen this a bunch of times. People running things too rich or using fossil oil.

Brian

What to do? :crazy2: What to do?

As most of you know my kart saw bit the dust when the wrist pin took a little walk and spilled it's bearings. It had barely tasted wood and was still being fine tuned by Brian. The block was already .050" over so with the gouges and the scarcity of larger pistons it seems my only choices are to re-sleeve or replace block or use my spare 101B. Thought replace may be a better way to go so when a fresh .010" over bare block came on the market I tried to buy it. Just sold for more than double of what I was expecting or willing to pay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mcculloch-...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

There is a straight shaft 101 that is claimed to be NOS on eBay right now. Will have to see how it goes. The prices they have been bringing is the reason my spare is still a spare.

I think I know Brian's vote; maybe not. What would you do?

FWIW the brief running Brian and I did with it left us less than overwhelmed - it would probably been a much different story with the larger kart carb. We were using the stock SP125 carb with adjustable jets.

Ron

Ron I feel your pain. I know Mark H. had it happen as well. Mine was my 101 Geardrive
I built a few years ago. It had quite a few tanks through it and was a very strong runner.
At one of my own gtg's I fired it up and it locked up. I knew just what had happened
and my heart went to my feet. It was already at 040 and the new wiseco piston and
block were toast. The saw is now a great runner again with a used block I found and
another new piston. This time I used one of Terry Ives .001 over wrist pins. So it's in
there tight. I will never use a used wrist pin again.

Terry also mentioned using a SP 125 piston and rod in the future. Set up of one on eBay now for $175. Add a block and the $$ keeps going.

I would like to put the saw together as it showed a lot of use with the 101B. Not sure if in logging or fun. Bunch of names carved into the tank. Coworkers or victims, not sure. Someone over in the logging forum recognized one of them.

Ron

Dollars can add up quick Ron. We all know that. I do like the floating pin style
used in the 125's but I also like the piston design in the 101's better than the
125 piston. So in a 101 I tend to go with the pressed in wrist pin with a 101
piston. I just use the over size wrist pin so I hopefully won't loose another
motor from the pin moving.

What to do? :crazy2: What to do?

As most of you know my kart saw bit the dust when the wrist pin took a little walk and spilled it's bearings. It had barely tasted wood and was still being fine tuned by Brian. The block was already .050" over so with the gouges and the scarcity of larger pistons it seems my only choices are to re-sleeve or replace block or use my spare 101B. Thought replace may be a better way to go so when a fresh .010" over bare block came on the market I tried to buy it. Just sold for more than double of what I was expecting or willing to pay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mcculloch-...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

There is a straight shaft 101 that is claimed to be NOS on eBay right now. Will have to see how it goes. The prices they have been bringing is the reason my spare is still a spare.

I think I know Brian's vote; maybe not. What would you do?

FWIW the brief running Brian and I did with it left us less than overwhelmed - it would probably been a much different story with the larger kart carb. We were using the stock SP125 carb with adjustable jets.

Ron
My 125 with fixed jet is a better cutter with a 50" bar than my 101b with SDC carb. The kart saws need the rakers down to really work well. Also the tiny carb is like having a 2bbl carb on a muscle car or restrictor plate. Lots of rpm and bad as sound, but seemingly less torque. Then again, a 101 WAS designed to have a BDC size carb, not SDC. Imagine that tiny carb on a 088 or 090.

Regarding the 10-10S Special Edition... I see Mark's has a yellow airbox cover but when I Googled it the one pic that came up had a black airbox cover and the SE sticker. I assume they made these for a few years? Were these towards the end of the 10-10S model's run?

Back