McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
picked up this one over the weekend. Fairly confident that its a 35A, but I can't find a model plate on it. Luckily it ran without having to be messed with. P/C look good through the exhaust and the primer works. Starts 1 pull cold once the primer is pumped.

View attachment 678946

View attachment 678947

Does it share the gear case oil and bar oil, I filled up the gear case through the plug in the front and then when I pumped the oiler it came out of the bar pad.
Also does someone have a good thread with photos for the carburetor? What does the lever that comes through the top of the saw do? is it a hi jet adjustment?

I happened to have a brand new loop of Oregon 10, 1/2", chipper chain that I got a long while ago that fit the 18" bar perfectly.

I have a Mac 35 Flying Goose. It looks quite close to yours but not identical. Note the sideplate on the bar side and the top of the handle. Maybe yours is a 35 but just a different year?

20171216_114323-XL.jpg

20171216_114339-XL.jpg

20171216_114343-XL.jpg

Rob

I have a Mac 35 Flying Goose. It looks quite close to yours but not identical. Note the sideplate on the bar side and the top of the handle. Maybe yours is a 35 but just a different year?

20171216_114323-XL.jpg

20171216_114339-XL.jpg

20171216_114343-XL.jpg

Rob

Based on what I found on Acres' site I think its a '35A' because it doesn't have the logo and has the large spark plug cover. I imagine that all of these series of saws are essentially the same, just with different names.

ML12 is a 35A, the manual oiler comes up through the saw body with a button by the rear handle.

Big Blue is a transitional saw, has the casting for the manual oiler by the handle but the active manual button is on the oil tank itself.

The fill cap on the left (air filter) side of the saw is the bar oil tank, the gear box oil fill/level is a plug right on the front of the gear case.

Mark

I had the privilege today of meeting Mark H. in person at the 3rd Annual MMWS GTG. A gracious man. Ron

Local lad running Mark's Belgium SP105. The haze is from the fire not the saw.
View attachment 678578

Mark's tent.
View attachment 678579
View attachment 678580

Tucked underneath.
View attachment 678581

Some fresh Iowa produce.
View attachment 678582
Hey Ron. Not sure if we met or not. I met so many new people i lost track. I'll agree and say meeting Mark was the highlight of the weekend.

Hey Ron. Not sure if we met or not. I met so many new people i lost track. I'll agree and say meeting Mark was the highlight of the weekend.

Not sure if we met or not; I am pretty much an introvert. I was only there on Saturday from about 8:30 until 2:00; spent most of my time borrowing Tree Monkey’s shade next to Mark’s tent.

Ron

MAC flatback carb metering needle set up in my 380.

My flatback has the old style needle and seat. metal tipped needle and a rubber seat in the body.

The carb won't hold any pressure and the rubber seat looks pretty beat.

Anyone know if the alternative of the newer body with the metal seat and the rubber tipped needle can be found or substitutes that will fit?

Or, will an HL carb rubber seat work?

MAC flatback carb metering needle set up in my 380.

My flatback has the old style needle and seat. metal tipped needle and a rubber seat in the body.

The carb won't hold any pressure and the rubber seat looks pretty beat.

Anyone know if the alternative of the newer body with the metal seat and the rubber tipped needle can be found or substitutes that will fit?

Or, will an HL carb rubber seat work?
I was never able to find hard parts for the flat backs in my 380 or my 440. Ended up switching them both over to Tillotson. Parts are much easier to come by. I also seem to have better luck with the tilly's in general.

Before I attempt a vinegar test, does anyone know if an 8200 crankcase is magnesium or aluminum? Surfaces look too shiny to be magnesium but I don’t know. Case is cracked across the bar stud holes. I haven’t found a local welder who will fool with magnesium.

Thanks, Ron

Pass but do you guys have this stuff over there?
http://www.selleys.co.nz/fillers-putty/epoxy/knead-it-steel/

Hog out the crack a bit with the dremel and be rough and ugly about it and all around it and put that stuff on. It's every handy mans friend here incredibly good stuff imagen JB weld but as strong as steel. I've seen big holes in dirt bike crank and gearbox cases fixed with it and last for years ,car radiators umm fuel tanks aw exhausts too. I'm sure it would fix that up if your stuck for another front half

Before I attempt a vinegar test, does anyone know if an 8200 crankcase is magnesium or aluminum? Surfaces look too shiny to be magnesium but I don’t know. Case is cracked across the bar stud holes. I haven’t found a local welder who will fool with magnesium.

Thanks, Ron
its magnesium mr woods

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I think jethro may have you pegged for now. Since its the oil tank, and it is unique, you may think about a fix as he suggests from inside the oil tank until you can find a non cracked tank. I wonder if you could get any other oil tank and redrill and tap the holes in the same places? May be worth looking into. I ran my 8200 a good bit this firewood season. I really like it. Strong runner. It has a 24" bar on it. Looks good and runs great.

After finding marks picture posted in the ********* (took a few moments to find that picture, i knew it was out there though), the oil tank on the 8200 is more different, than i thought. Looks like 4 of the 6 holes would line up but the top and bottom holes would be very tuff to drill in an older tank. Not alot of material there. Go with the jethro fix and keep searching, lol

Thanks, Ron

what is the vinegar test?

i weld mag. lil ways away tho.

Hi Fellas,I have an Eager Beaver 2.0 that has oiler problems.When I fill the tank to full the manual oiler works a little bit,then as the oil in the tank goes down a bit it stops oiling.I'd like to know what's involved with getting it working again?I won't even attempt to mess with the auto-oiler at this point.The saw is a strong runner that I picked up for $30 almost a yr.ago.It makes for a great little limber.
Ed

I think jethro may have you pegged for now. Since its the oil tank, and it is unique, you may think about a fix as he suggests from inside the oil tank until you can find a non cracked tank. I wonder if you could get any other oil tank and redrill and tap the holes in the same places? May be worth looking into. I ran my 8200 a good bit this firewood season. I really like it. Strong runner. It has a 24" bar on it. Looks good and runs great.

The reason the hole pattern is different is because the 8200 crank and rod take up more space which required a redesign. Not enough removable material in the ordinary case to make them fit.

what is the vinegar test?

i weld mag. lil ways away tho.

Just a YouTube clip that shows a drop of vinegar remaining clear on aluminum and turning progressively darker gray on magnesium.

Ron

Back