McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys hope everyone is doing alright. I’m not sure if it has been covered before but has anyone tried using the opti 2 two stroke mix on their macs? It states no ratio mixing required, but that it’s a universal mix. Just wondering if I should try it after working long hours to get the pro Mac 10-10 back up and running. Any thoughts guys?
Scott

Nice Ed had to go fondle and sniff my 7-10 after reading about one. Is it weird to stroke it and tell it that's a pretty girl no matter what they say lol (the other saws poke fun at her missing paint)
Maybe you should discipline those nasty saws.Go make them stand in the corner like you did with that new bar.Lol
ED

Maybe you should discipline those nasty saws.Go make them stand in the corner like you did with that new bar.Lol
ED

Hey not my bar that's 2stroke's gem. But yes yes I will ring the tits out of them all on Saturday. Hopefully the 800 won't get to badly embarrassed by my mates new husky 390. It will sound better at least

Yeah Jethro,I love the sound of the Macs too.For some reason they seem to sound like they have endless power (and some of them do).I remember back several yrs.ago we had an ice storm here & there were trees laying in the road.I got the Timberbear out & fired it up.My son was about 17 at the time & as soon as that saw fired up he said"man I could run that saw all day".He just loved the sound of it,so I handed the saw over to him & immediately a big smile came over his face.We were out in the road cutting when a town highway dept.truck came by.I told the driver"Don't worry,we've got this".I told him to go give another person assistance that needed it.He nodded & drove off.
Ed

So,I pulled the carb off the little Mac 120 yesterday & was going to rebuild it.I got the kit out & found out that it's a D1-MDC with no mounting gaskets.The mounting gasket that was on the saw was pretty much non-existent.I noticed that as I was looking at kits on Feebay that there are two mounting gaskets,one has a round hole for over the opening to the cylinder,the other one has a square hole with one of the mounting screw holes slightly elongated.There was only one gasket on my saw (what was left of the gasket).I'm thinking that's why they quit running the saw,in that the saw quit running because of this.
My questions of the day are:1)is it necessary to have both mounting gaskets?2)which gasket gets mounted to what surface (if the answer to question #1 is yes)?
Ed

Thanks Vinny,your help is very much appreciated.I found out when I took the carb off that there was only one gasket on it & it was half disintegrated.Also there was no insulator either,so whoever had that saw apart before didn't know what they were doing.The carb itself is another story.I took it apart today to clean it up & when I removed the plastic plate between the pump side & the metering side,well the metering diaphragm & gasket acted like they were glued in place,they weren't though.One I got the diaphragm off I found the carb loaded with rust.Rust on the Welch plugs,rust on the metering lever,& rust on the needle valve.Rust everywhere,the saw must've been in a very damp environment for a long time for that to happen.Surprisingly though,the metering lever & needle moved freely.I didn't want to take a chance with that carb,especially since I'd have to tear the entire saw apart to get to the carb again,so I bought another carb off Ebay for $12.50.The kit I had here for the carb turned out to be a D1-MDC which didn't have the lever,needle valve,or the mounting gaskets,so I ordered a K1-MDC.That little saw is turning out to be quite a little bugger.
Ed

Well yesterday despite it being 30c and very muggy cut a heap of firewood at my mates place and he has a new husky 390 well after playing with that and the 800 man that old mac goes well really surprised me it's not far behind at all both 24inch. His had factory dull full chisel and mine on nicely filled semi (needs a full chisel too) so a good file on the new husky chain and will go better but yea it feels maybe 1000 rpm higher I spose. In the hand the mac doesn't feel much heavier must be a bit but not huge difference. All in all very happy and new muffler setup still doing fine. The other macs all got a good workout too a tank through the pm700 3 tanks through the 7-10 as it has a 16inch on it was nice for the small stuff.

That 7-10 what a cracker of a saw it's old tatty and worn with a scored bore its and been abused for 45 years yet it still cuts like champion and patiently idles away before its next hiding. Just runs so well somehow they really built a saw to last back then quite literally a saw for a man's life. It has enough compression to hang on the cord for a while but not ages though still not sure if new rings would even help that with a sad old bore.

Long live McCulloch thanks uncle Robert

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Brian mended enough over the week to get out today with his PM610, PM800 and SP125C. We had a 42" white oak yard tree to buck. The ground here is still super wet. We had a few sprinkles today. Just slippery enough to be challenging.

I brought my 800 and 125 as well as a 59cc off-brand. Brian and I made short order of the top. He did most of the hard sawing on the stem though I did get to take 5 or 6 slices off the butt end with my 125 and 800.

Ron

Looked like a hanging before we got started. Actually not enough room on the tractor to carry everything properly.
IMG_4064.JPG

Brian letting his 125 eat.
IMG_4070.JPG

Family reunion of sorts. The 800s were rack mates and the 125s were shelf mates until Brian and I did some trading.
IMG_4078.JPG

Second load from the tree.
IMG_4085.JPG

What is left to pickup another day. Five are 40" or greater.
IMG_4086.JPG

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Hi guys, ive got another question. Ive recently gotten a mcculloch chain breaker and spinner. It was nos in the original box but without paperwork....so my question is does anyone have any reference to how it works. Set up etc. Part number is 91922. It was on ebay. Recently. Any help would be appreciated. Vinny

Vinny - put up some photos of the Mac spinner/breaker.

I have gone through all of the 300 Series saws I had on hand, I now have cleaned up and ready to go PM310, PM320 with the Auto-Sharp, PM340 (ugliest Mac ever IMHO)PM365, and a Mac Cat. The PM310 is currently with my Engineer buddy trying to design a cover for the air box that I can reproduce on my 3D printer. I will have a few saws that can use the new cover once we get it right.

20190119_141819.jpg

20190119_141833.jpg

20190119_141849.jpg

Mark

Vinny, can’t help you with the spinner breaker but please keep us informed. I bought one about year ago. It never arrived. Seller said USPS returned it broken. Later there was another one on eBay but I never could get the Seller to verify that the anvils were included. They really look cool.

Ron

Its a breaker spinner. Adjustable height of rail. Adjustable rivet spinner. Some sort of chain stop on it?? 3 mounting cut ours. 1 lever, 1 spinner handle. No markings anywhere but the box. Its all cast base and spinner handle. Punch handle may be tool steel. 20190119_203708.jpg 20190119_203758.jpg 20190119_203940.jpg 20190119_203839.jpg

Latest posts

Back