McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nce job on those Macs Mark! I've got a 310 here myself that I'm working on (amongst all the other ones,Lol) & I brought it out of mothballs so to speak,last week.I put some fuel in the carb & it fired.I thought COOL.Then it wouldn't fire again.I checked for spark,that was good.Then I had a hunch that I needed to try another plug.Sure enough it fires again,but it's running at very fast throttle.The plastic cover that goes over the top of the carb where the choke button & throttle lock are isn't there because it broke when I first got the saw over a yr.ago.This isn't the plastic air filter cover on the side of the saw next to the recoil.I wasn't quite as adventurous then as I am now with tearing saws apart to repair them,so I put the saw away till now.Is there a boot in the 310 that can go bad & cause the saw to suck too much air & cause it to be too lean?
Ed

Ed - the 300 Series do have a boot but they are very reliable, they have a spring clamp that holds them to the intake manifold/insulator. Many models were built without an intake gasket and used Dirko like sealer, could be an issue if the screws were loosened. Another possibility would be the impulse hose has a problem, those hoses were less durable than the boot.

The McCulloch unit Vinny shows operates quite differently than the conventional spinner in your link.

Vinny - the breaker portion should be obvious, I question whether they will work on anything smaller than .404 and even then it is a challenge. The spinner has a kind of clutch (at least that what I have surmised playing with mine) so you put the chain to be spun in place, wind it clockwise to spin the rivet, it may be necessary to wind it back and forth a few times to properly spin the head.

DSC01319.JPG

Mark

Ed - the 300 Series do have a boot but they are very reliable, they have a spring clamp that holds them to the intake manifold/insulator. Many models were built without an intake gasket and used Dirko like sealer, could be an issue if the screws were loosened. Another possibility would be the impulse hose has a problem, those hoses were less durable than the boot.

The McCulloch unit Vinny shows operates quite differently than the conventional spinner in your link.

Vinny - the breaker portion should be obvious, I question whether they will work on anything smaller than .404 and even then it is a challenge. The spinner has a kind of clutch (at least that what I have surmised playing with mine) so you put the chain to be spun in place, wind it clockwise to spin the rivet, it may be necessary to wind it back and forth a few times to properly spin the head.

View attachment 698031

Mark
Mark,
If anyone had info i did think it might be you. Thats the same one exactly. I havent tried it yet but i will in the near future. Thanks for the direction. Vinny

Vinney and Mark,

As stated I don't have one but I was led to believe by the Seller that these had different sized anvils for the various chain sizes. Does your have a replaceable punch and replaceable spinners? One of the eBay sellers also posted a few pictures from the instruction guide, IIRC. Hope this might help.

Ron

Hi guys,I'm looking for any info on which bar to use on my 380A.Since it's an 87cc saw I'm sure it can pull at least a 30 in.chain.It has a massive sprocket on it,I'm thinking it was set up for a .404 chain.I can't find much info on it.I do have a service manual & an IPL.
Ed

Is there a way to tell the piston size based off of the serial number? It has exactly 120psi and im thinking a set of rings will be enough to get it to go up. I'm doing the seals and carburetor as well as a new fuel line.

Thanks. Jason.

Attachments

• IMG_20190118_205955698.jpg
    IMG_20190118_205955698.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 10
Is there a way to tell the piston size based off of the serial number? It has exactly 120psi and im thinking a set of rings will be enough to get it to go up. I'm doing the seals and carburetor as well as a new fuel line.

Thanks. Jason.

I can't help your build year but others will when they jump on it is a right hand pull so yea it's an older one pre 70s (i think) any way your 10-10 is a 54cc any 10-10 rings will be sweet as long as there not a 10-10S set they are 57cc.

At 120psi it should run fine Its not going to pull like a schoolboy but if it's just for nostalgia and the odd bit of firewood it will run good as. How is the fuel line? If has sat for years before ethanol fuel it may be ok. Grab the filter and feel the line give it a good fondle and see how it feels.

Got spark? It mite just run

Hey guys, sorry to bother y'all with the same question but has anyone run Opti-2 two stroke mix in their Macs? It's a universal mix with no specific ratio to mix to. Just curious to see if I should run it or stick with a certain fuel mixture. Thanks for your time guys.
Scott

Still lots of stick around Ed especially on site up high. Who wants to drag a mig up a ladder and you can get away with wet steel or pipes with water inside. We use stick a lot still my go to welder is smaller than a womans hand bag Haha.

Your right though it has lost its number one status in the workshop

Hey guys, sorry to bother y'all with the same question but has anyone run Opti-2 two stroke mix in their Macs? It's a universal mix with no specific ratio to mix to. Just curious to see if I should run it or stick with a certain fuel mixture. Thanks for your time guys.
Scott

I'd mix it to 40 to 1 and see what's it's like. Can't hurt surely

I'd mix it to 40 to 1 and see what's it's like. Can't hurt surely
Thanks for the reply Jethro, but the Opti-2 is a universal mix meant to be used in any two stroke application regardless of what ratio is required. It's a "one mix fits all". I can't mix it 40:1, if you are interested in what the mix has to offer head to Opti fuels website and check it out. It looks to be pretty promising stuff.
Scott

Back