McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok mine is the same model number and I can see a 44a on the carb. What year were these from Tim I was guessing late 70s
Jethro, my pm700 is from the early 80's and it has a 44a carb on it. I bought a carb a while back on ebay for my sp81. It has both h and L adjustments, supposed to be from a 7-10. Its a walbro sdc 44. Not sure of the differences between the 44 and 44a. Both saws run very well either way.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Sad to report that Brian is still down. Haven't felt so hot myself lately. Doc check me for the flu - negative so he put me on an antibiotic. It was raining when I woke this morning so I slept in. Got up late, ventured out and bucked the remaining downed Ash trees, less than 45 minutes of work and less than a tank through one of my 59 cc off brandS. Nothing MAC worthy. Ate a big undeserved lunch. After lunch I was asked to fall a fair size red oak in decline with a sweeping sun-seeking arch. The tree was about 36" at the stump. Readied a PM800 and put the tree down with an amateur Coos Bays. Could not cut as fast as I wanted and split the stump, but that beats an overhead barber chair in my book.

I know a lot of you use semi-chisel for its durability. I run it too from time to time and did so today, but let me tell you that full comp .404 semi-chisel on an 800 is markedly slower than skip .404 square filed. If I could ever get the filing down pat, I would run square more often.

Red Oak down. Squint your eyes and you can see an 800 stuck where the wood splintered.
View attachment 715907

Less squint needed.
View attachment 715911

One ugly stump.
View attachment 715909 View attachment 715912

The mighty 800 pinched tight.
View attachment 715910

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.
Ron, ive heard people say "ugly stump" before...my opinion is, you cant argue with success. The tree is on the ground. If someone has an issue with a stump, tell em to go take a cut off of it so it looks prettier rotting away for the next 30yrs. Fine job. Tree is down and noone is hurt. Mission accomplished. Great saw too.

Real beast of a saw with a shortish bar I think. How do ya like 404?

Though the 800 is probably borderline for .404 and 3/8 would be faster, I like it for the wider kerf and because it does seem to stay sharp longer. I don’t have a clue as to why it should keep an edge longer. I also like the wider Stihl bar.

Ron

Vinny my 7-10 is a 44 externally they look identical so buggerd if I know lol. I didn't realize it could work on a 82cc though my 800 is a zama.

Thanks for the 404 answer Ron I remember Joey saying there good with a 20 inch 404 I'm just wondering if it's worth the conversion if I find a 404 bar for a good price is all as the holding an edge better seems rather nice.

Here is some information I have assembled from documents I could find. The larger bore carburetors often appeared on smaller saws but can make a bigger saw, even the SP125 perform better.

I don't remember the model of the carburetor but I took one of the smaller ones off one of my SP125's and put on one of the bigger ones with and adjustable H (came off of a CP70) and it made a marked improvement in the performance. I left the smaller one with the fixed H on my work SP125 and find it will still cut a lot of wood.

Mark

Attachments

• McCulloch Carburetor Usage SDC.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 30
That is one advantage of showing photos, nobody knows what's on the other side or how long it took you to get there...

I have been watching some You Tube videos for ideas and only one guy (a Dutchman that goes by rolingmetal) shows some of his attempts that don't work.

Mark

Great point there Mark in my experience of engineering I've learned that all the good ideas and solutions start from ones that didn't work or the guy who comes along and remakes something and takes the thunder but the original idea is really the important one that got the ball rolling.

Did someone mention failure? I have a project saw that is one hurdle after another. Each hurdle has taken several attempts to get over, several remain, but hopefully I will get it done and share it here.

Not a saw but saw related, my latest design failure. Giant caster to allow me to load heavier logs with my little tractor. Load tested it with 2600# +/-, bent the 5/8" steel tongue and bowed the 3/8" aluminum cross brace frame of my boom. Caster was not in a level position for the test and it created too much leverage for the mount. I guess Reese meant it when it rated the maximum tongue weight at 500#. My caster survived unscathed.

1400# +/-
IMG_4144.JPGIMG_4148.JPG IMG_4149.JPG

In case you are wondering about my weird designs, first there is my weird way of thinking and then there is the fact that I can't weld and don't have the proper tools to cut steel. So I make stuff from scrap aluminum I scrounge from the scrap yard, cut the pieces with my miter saw and hire the welding. My steel parts are usually re-purposed stuff as custom made shop pieces get expensive and time consuming in a hurry. Here it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and visit the shop to fab my new heavy duty ditch the hitch design.

Ron

I wish I could say that after spraying some WD40 up the hole where the oil should pump out of and filling the oil tank with diesel, my SP81E is oiling properly, but it's not.

Not much experience with these oilers and have read some other threads about them but not sure which step to take next. It does not pump oil automatically and will not flow when pumped manually. The manual push button does have resistance. No oil is leaking from anywhere. So I'm assuming there is a blockage somewhere and is not picking up oil from the tank. I have yet to pull the front cover off of the oil tank. That'll be next.

Not ready to pull the fuel tank just yet. Wanting to exhaust all my options before I do so. Anyone have some ideas on what might be the cause of this?

I wish I could say that after spraying some WD40 up the hole where the oil should pump out of and filling the oil tank with diesel, my SP81E is oiling properly, but it's not.

Not much experience with these oilers and have read some other threads about them but not sure which step to take next. It does not pump oil automatically and will not flow when pumped manually. The manual push button does have resistance. No oil is leaking from anywhere. So I'm assuming there is a blockage somewhere and is not picking up oil from the tank. I have yet to pull the front cover off of the oil tank. That'll be next.

Not ready to pull the fuel tank just yet. Wanting to exhaust all my options before I do so. Anyone have some ideas on what might be the cause of this?

It could be a check valve issue in the pump. You could try another pump from a know good oiler and see how you get on. I can't remember if there is a valve in the manual pump or weather it was in the auto. The info is in here though if you keep searching. Someone will pop along and set you right soon enough

Pull the oil tank cover off and pull the auto pump to make sure the piston is intact. If that's OK you may have to pull the fuel tank and see if the check valve in the manual pump is free. It's a small disc between the manual pump and the fuel line.

If you end up pulling the fuel tank, pay attention to where everything goes. I found it to be a bit of a three handed job the first time you do it.

One mistake I made the first time was pulling the filter screen out of the end of the oil line. That was a bad move.

Back