McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

There was discussion at the woodlot of the need for ark plans as NorthEast Tennessee is drowning with steady rain. Rain or no rain folks are burning wood so we cut from our stockpiles in a slow but steady rain today with the temperature reaching 46 by lunch.

I used one of my PNW 125s that wears a rain cap. Brian kept his MACs warm and dry and cut with his Chinacom 660. Found out today that my rain wear of many years is not actually waterproof. I got soaked. But as usual the 125 ran well. It bit me a few times with the wet starter grip and the DSP closing. My 125s are the easiest starting saws I have and I guess I have gotten a little lax in the starting process with them as a result. The bites were good reminders that the 125s pack plenty of ump. The starter apparently didn't take kindly to my inattention as the recoil cap fell off during my last cut of the larger stuff. Other than one lost screw, it fared okay.

Not having an 800 with me I cut a little with an Echo CS8000. As I have reported before it is an extremely well built saw, but doesn't have the cutting speed of an 800. I may put an 8 pin on it as it seems to have plenty of torque. It is comfortable to run and whisper quiet in comparison to my MACs.

As you may have guessed the rain precluded any pictures so I will just throw in a proud shot from the past of this particular 125.
IMG_2950.JPG

Ron
This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Found these in my great grandads barn hes 98 and still has the guts to fire up the old two man saws. Ha gave me these with the mccullouch box having a brand new chain in it.
2e3f5a760e51b196f5d365d502b0f9ad.jpg
797e6da385458dcbbd716ecefbe7e65a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bought a PM 10-10 tank/handle assembly off Ebay to replace the old style tank/handle assembly on one of my 10-10A's.I got the tank/handle yesterday & when I gave it a good look today I found that the screw for the rear brace was broken off in the handle.There must be 1 - 1 1/4 in.of screw left in the boss.I've trierd every which way I can think of to get that broken screw out - I've used a hacksaw to try to cut a slot ib the screw to try to turn it out with a screwdriver,I've tried to get it to start to turn with a chisel hitting at an angle,I popped out the insert to try to get sa hold of the screw & turn it from the inside,but there's no room to get a hold of it.I even filed it to try to get it flat so I could drill it out.Anyone got any ideas,other than return it?
Ed

Any tricks available to remove the starter ratchet from a 125 recoil. I think the recoil spring let go today. I believe it is left hand thread. I have the pulley chocked with a pin through the housing and have tapped with a hammer a wrench secured to the ratchet but nothing has let loose yet. I am trying to not break the housing legs.

Thanks, Ron

Ron, I usually put some PB Blaster on them and let them set over night. If that don't work then I will heat them a little and that has always gotten them to break free. Brian

P.S. I got a couple pictures of Ron today but am having trouble getting them from my phone to my computer.

If you need, run it up to the house and I will give it a try.

Okay, I got it apart using a vice without damaging the pulley. The spring wasn’t broken but had wrapped back around itself. The end seems quite soft and is cold malleable. Is that okay? What shape should it be? The IPL isn’t clear but it looks to have a doubled end before the bend that catches in the slot.

Thanks again, Ron

The shirts I got from VistaPrint actually turned out really nicely, so I decided to make some banners for the hell of it.

Turned out pretty cool and unique as well!

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 2232019 112357 PM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 2232019 112357 PM.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Fullscreen capture 2232019 113418 PM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 2232019 113418 PM.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Fullscreen capture 2232019 112610 PM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 2232019 112610 PM.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Fullscreen capture 2232019 112556 PM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 2232019 112556 PM.jpg