McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What fuel lines is everyone using on 10 series saws? I had 3 of my 10-10's that the fuel lines had harden up. I purchased 4 Rotary brand fuel lines to replace the fuel lines that had harden. With in a week after installing these fuel lines they everyone was hard as a rock. And yes I use non ethanol fuels. What brands are you using and good or bad.

Brian

Got a bar for the 1-86!!!! Still sorting out the chain yet!!!
3c9b55e1c0eeb5f1e306fc3d63dcfd0c.jpg
Has anyone ever trimmed the tail on the bar instead of lengthening the chain? This is a husky bar I modified to fit this saw. The bar hits the sprocket long before I run out of bar slot or adjustment in the adjuster screw. I was thinking of knocking 1/4" off the tail instead of lengthening the chain....... what does everyone think of this? The bar slot is already cut through to the tail factory so I dont think strength there would be an issue.

Did that to a spare 40" rollernose off the big Homies to fit my 090,little widening of that slot with mini grinder also & it fits perfectly.Couldnt pay what they wanted for a long Stihl sprocketnose bar,even a well used one.

Has anyone ever trimmed the tail on the bar instead of lengthening the chain? The bar slot is already cut through to the tail factory so I dont think strength there would be an issue.

One issue that might be worth considering could be possible laminate separation depending on the structure of the bar and how aggressive the grinding gets. Seems like slow and easy and grinding away from (vs. into) the tail material would be a safe way to go even if you do hit some hollow space.

What fuel lines is everyone using on 10 series saws? I had 3 of my 10-10's that the fuel lines had harden up. I purchased 4 Rotary brand fuel lines to replace the fuel lines that had harden. With in a week after installing these fuel lines they everyone was hard as a rock. And yes I use non ethanol fuels. What brands are you using and good or bad.

Brian
I just ordered a replacement off ebay for 12.99. Its the kit #301011. Replaces the inlet elbow, has a grommet at tank and you use modern style fuel line. There are several on there now. 12.99 was cheapest. Then i wont have to try to find the molded fuel line anymore or tape it up when it shrinks and leaks. Might be what you need.

Well my cheap pm700 is a runner. Runs great actually. Spent several hrs cleaning and putting it back together. Found 2 broken off fasteners. Got one out. The other is still stuck. I had forgotten i did have a clutch cover for it!! Bonus. So minus a bar its great. Ive got a good bar also hangin up in the basement. 20190226_152921.jpg 20190226_152921.jpg 20190226_152931.jpg 20190226_152941.jpg

Yikes!

I'm curious to learn how the fuel line kit works out..., replacing the inlet elbow and all. Also curious about the actual size of the grommet since there seems to be a couple sizes indicated as fitting -- with some significant persuasion in most cases. Gotta wonder why someone hasn't just started re-popping a decent quality Buna grommet for the 10 series tanks that is easy to install and didn't leak. They'd sell a boatload of em.

I know Stens sells the molded lines. Have no idea of their quality compared to the others. Probably all come from the same source(s) anyway.

You two lads are a keen pair of good keen men. Any particular need to get it cut in that or do you guys just love cutting wood that bad? I'd be in it too as once the saw is running ya tend to forget all that and get on with it. Good job fellas

Folks are burning a lot of wood this season. Over 1400 loads so far this season.

Like Brian said it is great therapy. And it is good exercise. Just those two things, let alone the fun of being around good nature liked minded folks, make it hard to accept all the thanks we get.

As to Brian's comments about me being hard on myself - we all know that when you run a MAC you can't blame anything on the saw.

Ron

It is great therapy the rat race of life is gone for a while.

You guys do a really nice thing for people and we should all take a leaf out your book.

How many other people are doing this? 1400 loads is a heap of wood.

Is this logs being tricked in too or are ya out n about felling it all?

Usually have 25 folks on Saturday. 10 or so work through out the week. 5 or 6 in field cutters, 3 to 5 wood lot cutters, 10 or so splitters and 10 or so delivery guys. And lots of church folks stuffing us at lunch.

Most big wood is felled by line clearing crews or tree trimmers. Some delivered to the lot. Most of the mid-size logs come from tree trimmers. I believe the logs shown in Brian’s pictures were from trees felled by line clearing crews and bucked in the field by the two of us some months ago. Due to liability concerns, we don’t fall too many trees. I probably fall the most - maybe 90 this season. Most seasons usually less than 50. The vast majority with a PM800.

Ron

Well my cheap pm700 is a runner. Runs great actually. Spent several hrs cleaning and putting it back together. Found 2 broken off fasteners. Got one out. The other is still stuck. I had forgotten i did have a clutch cover for it!! Bonus. So minus a bar its great. Ive got a good bar also hangin up in the basement. View attachment 718699 View attachment 718699 View attachment 718700 View attachment 718701

Very interesting 700 Vinny. I have a similar one with a grey tank / engine. I see your label says McCulloch Division of Black and Decker.
I didn't know that association existed.

700.jpg

Usually have 25 folks on Saturday. 10 or so work through out the week. 5 or 6 in field cutters, 3 to 5 wood lot cutters, 10 or so splitters and 10 or so delivery guys. And lots of church folks stuffing us at lunch.

Most big wood is felled by line clearing crews or tree trimmers. Some delivered to the lot. Most of the mid-size logs come from tree trimmers. I believe the logs shown in Brian’s pictures were from trees felled by line clearing crews and bucked in the field by the two of us some months ago. Due to liability concerns, we don’t fall too many trees. I probably fall the most - maybe 90 this season. Most seasons usually less than 50. The vast majority with a PM800.

Ron

Wow so it's a rather big operation then. And long live that 800 keeping people warm for years to come yet.

Wow so it's a rather big operation then. And long live that 800 keeping people warm for years to come yet.

It is a rather large operation, But it takes a rather large operation to provide 1500 loads of firewood in a season and the season not over yet. It should slow down from here but still have quite a few loads of wood a week going out and then also getting prepared for next year. There was several that worked throughout last summer getting ready for this winters heating season.

Brian

Vinny- the PM700 looks great, good score I would say. I picked up an older PM700 this weekend that runs well but is not near as clean. Didn't notice it until after I bought it that the muffler was cracked and bar adjuster screw was broken.

Anyone have a spare PM700 muffler laying around?
-Thanks Brock

Attachments

• 20190226_182134_resized.jpg
    20190226_182134_resized.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back