McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bit of a brain fart and thought i needed new fuel line for the kit i got. After i replaced the inlet nipple on the carb i realized that the break in the old line was right at the end so i decided to just cut off the end. The remaining fuel line fit right over the new barbed elbow perfectly so it was way easier to repair than initially thought. So i didnt use the tank bushing yet. When i do ill definately give a review. Ive got several saws with that molded fuel line so one of em will fail eventually. It looks very easy to install though. Glue in the bushing and run fuel line thru it. Change the inlet nipple and done.
To change the inlet to the elbow i just grabbed it with a pair of linesman pliers and twisted it right out. Took the new elbow got it started the same way then used a small hammer and gently tapped it in place. Tight fit and no leaks. Worked out great.

Jethro, i have 15 mccullochs in the pile now. I love hearing them run for sure. Sound so much better than new saws. They just sound like youre really getting something mean done, lol.
Got your decompression valve out of the drawer for you. I work all weekend but next tuesday it will go to the post office.

Jethro, i have 15 mccullochs in the pile now. I love hearing them run for sure. Sound so much better than new saws. They just sound like youre really getting something mean done, lol.
Got your decompression valve out of the drawer for you. I work all weekend but next tuesday it will go to the post office.

Thank you very much mate. 15 macs far out plus all the others Haha cad is great.

Here's the new 7-10 it's a bit shabby not bad compression oils well and runs really nicely but...20190302_095128.jpg 20190302_095145.jpg 20190302_095301.jpg
Now the but. It has a 10-10 tank and a tillotson carb. I need some schooling about the tilly it appears It has no hi speed adjustment and that's ok as it seems fairly close on free rev but will see in the wood. So what's this carb about what's it came off? Kinda sad as I do enjoy the external adjustments of the 70cc saws

Thank you very much mate. 15 macs far out plus all the others Haha cad is great.

Here's the new 7-10 it's a bit shabby not bad compression oils well and runs really nicely but...View attachment 719424 View attachment 719425 View attachment 719426
Now the but. It has a 10-10 tank and a tillotson carb. I need some schooling about the tilly it appears It has no hi speed adjustment and that's ok as it seems fairly close on free rev but will see in the wood. So what's this carb about what's it came off? Kinda sad as I do enjoy the external adjustments of the 70cc saws
Hello, if its original it should be a tillotson hs127b. Also 4 different carbs for the 7-10. That one or walbro sdc44, 18, or 22. A fixed high jet is ok. Sp81,s have that feature. There were 4 different jets for that tilly carb. You should be able to change it out, or if you would like to a different carb. If the internals are good and it runs then some paint will make it look great. For 60.00 though, yay for a runner!20190301_190104.jpg

Hello, if its original it should be a tillotson hs127b. Also 4 different carbs for the 7-10. That one or walbro sdc44, 18, or 22. A fixed high jet is ok. Sp81,s have that feature. There were 4 different jets for that tilly carb. You should be able to change it out, or if you would like to a different carb. If the internals are good and it runs then some paint will make it look great. For 60.00 though, yay for a runner!View attachment 719492

Thanks for the info. So it could be the original carb then I didn't realize some 7-10s had a fixed jet carb. Looking at it now the bottom half of the tank Is a slightly different colour I just assumed the whole top had been changed due to the missing hole in the air box for the jets.

I probably won't bother painting it up it adds character but some rings mite be a nice treat for it. I've got a 10-10 that needs a rebuild for practice first

Ok after doing some learning it appears the hs165a has a smaller venturi than the sdc65 now does anyone here have experience power wise with the different carbs on the 7-10? I cant try it yet the sdc needs rebuilt as it floods like crazy. This 1 has a tidy bore as far as I can see and the intake side piston is very nice so very happy for 60 bucks or 40 for you jokers. 20190302_163828.jpg
Less than a year ago I had a 310 a echo 500vl and a Chinese wonder weapon now I have 5 of these yellow beasts running and a stash of parts and a great stash of nice blokes on here too. A year ago I signed up for a bit of help with the echo and now I'm a full blown vintage saw fruitcake with a bunch of buddies from miles away and no hope for a cure....

You guys are dangerous in 5 years there going to be dozens of saws lying around.

[QUOTE
Less than a year ago I had a 310 a echo 500vl and a Chinese wonder weapon now I have 5 of these yellow beasts running and a stash of parts and a great stash of nice blokes on here too. A year ago I signed up for a bit of help with the echo and now I'm a full blown vintage saw fruitcake with a bunch of buddies from miles away and no hope for a cure....

You guys are dangerous in 5 years there going to be dozens of saws lying around.[/QUOTE]

It only gets better (or worse) depending on your view.The uneducated "outside world'' has their opinions & they are 100% wrong. I've given up trying to explain my hobby to most people.Funny thing is the ones that would question me the most always seem to come back later needing a tree removed,some climbing/pruning done or they have a log needing cut that's too big for their ''modern'' plastic homeowner toy saw....:laugh:

Better definitely better it's a great hobby and there would be a big void without it now.

Ed I can't put the sdc 44 carbs on as there is no hole for the needles in the air box. I do have 1 on a 10-10 I could steal now that I'm thinking about it.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful day in NE Tennessee - no rain. Otherwise a frustrating day- too much windshield time and fat chewing. Brian and I had planned to pull down some dead hangers for a LO, but as I was preparing to unload the tractor a neighbor advised that access was across his property and there would be no crossing until things dried - at the current rate of rain, can you say May? Secured the tractor, went to the lot and then ventured out to see if help was needed with a downed 5'+ red oak. Only work out of me and a MAC was to cut a 4' diameter section into thirds. Sp125C didn't wind as high as I thought it should and Brian didn't like the idle. AF was still wet from last week. Brian couldn't get it tuned to his likely so he repossessed it. When back to the lot to buck the sections from this tree using a PM800. I cut several up before I noticed the plug wire was off due to the tip unscrewing from the plug. I thought that odd until I realized you could spin the plug with your fingers (I should say gloved fingers as it was so hot the gloves would begin melting if you hung on to it). Of all days to drive off without your tool box (I had moved it from its usual spot to allow it to dry out from last week). Brian wasn't handy at the moment so the lot mechanic worked on it. The plug would not tighten. He got it out (an E3 from Lowes) and immediately said it looked metric to him and hopefully undersized. Sure enough a J8 from Brian tighten. That E3 has been in that saw for at least two years. We will see how long the J8 will stay tight. We previously learned that an 800 will run with the DSP awol. We now know that one will run with no mechanical connection to the plug wire and with a plug that spins. Anyway next round I hit embedded metal so more windshield time to retrieve my tool box for an allen wrench to fit my chain adjuster. Best part of the day is I burned about 4 tanks through the 800. While Brian wasn't looking, I put an 805 and a 700 in his truck so my 125 would not get homesick.

Sorry I have no pictures from today. So here some more proud MAC pictures from the past.

The 82cc MAC that started my 82cc obsession; a PM8200 now owned by Mark H. and presumably in much better shape.

chainsaw purchased.jpg
(Seller's picture on eBay; bar lost and clutch cover damaged in transit to me.)

My next 82 cc MAC purchase - a trio: PM850, SP81E with 800 lid and a DE80. 850 repaired by a young ASer, SP81E was to be repaired by another young ASer - never to be heard from again, and DE80 repaired by me and sold on eBay.

850 DE80 800.jpg
(Seller's picture on Craigs List; the bars never made it to me.)

Ron
This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Better definitely better it's a great hobby and there would be a big void without it now.

Ed I can't put the sdc 44 carbs on as there is no hole for the needles in the air box. I do have 1 on a 10-10 I could steal now that I'm thinking about it.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful day in NE Tennessee - no rain. Otherwise a frustrating day- too much windshield time and fat chewing. Brian and I had planned to pull down some dead hangers for a LO, but as I was preparing to unload the tractor a neighbor advised that access was across his property and there would be no crossing until things dried - at the current rate of rain, can you say May? Secured the tractor, went to the lot and then ventured out to see if help was needed with a downed 5'+ red oak. Only work out of me and a MAC was to cut a 4' diameter section into thirds. Sp125C didn't wind as high as I thought it should and Brian didn't like the idle. AF was still wet from last week. Brian couldn't get it tuned to his likely so he repossessed it. When back to the lot to buck the sections from this tree using a PM800. I cut several up before I noticed the plug wire was off due to the tip unscrewing from the plug. I thought that odd until I realized you could spin the plug with your fingers (I should say gloved fingers as it was so hot the gloves would begin melting if you hung on to it). Of all days to drive off without your tool box (I had moved it from its usual spot to allow it to dry out from last week). Brian wasn't handy at the moment so the lot mechanic worked on it. The plug would not tighten. He got it out (an E3 from Lowes) and immediately said it looked metric to him and hopefully undersized. Sure enough a J8 from Brian tighten. That E3 has been in that saw for at least two years. We will see how long the J8 will stay tight. We previously learned that an 800 will run with the DSP awol. We now know that one will run with no mechanical connection to the plug wire and with a plug that spins. Anyway next round I hit embedded metal so more windshield time to retrieve my tool box for an allen wrench to fit my chain adjuster. Best part of the day is I burned about 4 tanks through the 800. While Brian wasn't looking, I put an 805 and a 700 in his truck so my 125 would not get homesick.

Sorry I have no pictures from today. So here some more proud MAC pictures from the past.

The 82cc MAC that started my 82cc obsession; a PM8200 now owned by Mark H. and presumably in much better shape.

View attachment 719710
(Seller's picture on eBay; bar lost and clutch cover damaged in transit to me.)

My next 82 cc MAC purchase - a trio: PM850, SP81E with 800 lid and a DE80. 850 repaired by a young ASer, SP81E was to be repaired by another young ASer - never to be heard from again, and DE80 repaired by me and sold on eBay.

View attachment 719709
(Seller's picture on Craigs List; the bars never made it to me.)

Ron
This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Sounds like a great classic saw day!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but ALL plugs are metric.As for the E3 plugs,I've heard a lot of bad things about them too.I'm surprised you got two yrs.out of that plug.I try to use only NGK or Bosch plugs.
Ed

More
Teaching my son on a saw I got from Ron. One of Ron's first saws was a PM6 and now my son's first saw is a PM6. Thank You Ron.
downsized_0302191128.jpg downsized_0302191128a.jpg downsized_0302191128b.jpg

More Ron Pictures this time I got his head

downsized_0302191332a.jpg

PM800 father and PM6 Son

downsized_0302191338.jpg

Brian

It looks like we are cutting on a lake but we have had so much rain this winter everywhere around looks like a lake.

Attachments

• downsized_0302191332.jpg
    downsized_0302191332.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 8
We touched on mixing fuel not long back. At that time I was having trouble getting pictures from my phone to my computer, but have that resolved now. This is what I use to mix fuel. Works really well.

0302190848a.jpg 0302190850a.jpg

You can pour your oil to the proper amount, turn the valve on and dump it into your mixing can and then use it as a funnel to fill your mixing jug. It also washes the oil out of the funnel so you get every drop of oil in your mix.

Brian

Ed, not sure that all plugs are metric translates to bad news. He just made that comment when examining the plug. I may have misunderstood him and he may have just been referencing metric threads in general. He appeared to be speaking from experience that many plugs are undersized. Sure enough the replacement fit. Maybe it was bigger, maybe it had more threads - I don’t know I just hope it stays put.

Ron

Latest posts

Back