McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CP70 1 also has a rigid tank now that I'm looking.

So a rigid cylinder can be drilled and tapped for the nipple and used in a AV saw?
Thats a tall order but possible i guess. I know the bearings are different but if you had all the right bits it could possibly be done. Neat to think about. An av 10-10 or 7-10 etc. Thatd be fun. Those 7-10s are zippy saws. Ima gonna do some lookin into that one. I know the clutch side bearings are different sizes but the flywheel side is not. But with the right machining it could be done in theory. I like it!!

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the posts!! I have an IPL for a 5-10G handy and can confirm the part number you listed (66560) is correct. From the picture, it appears to have a recessed exhaust port. The IPL shows a flush mount gasket, part number 63748, piston is a 63287. I found nothing for either on a google search. The piston and cylinder master parts list calls for a piston 69412 for 4/5/6-10s and a cylinder assembly number 67120 with bore measurements of 2.001/2.000. Clear as mud.
Piston & Cylinders.JPG

Eric

I think the only difference between the rigid and anti-vibe saws is the nipple, and of course the lower mount for the front handle. The bearings and bearing insert are the same.

Mark
Im confused then on something, so what im referring to would be to make an antivibe saw from a rigid style. Say to put an oil tank from a sp saw, say a sp70 onto a rigid style cylinder, say 10-10S. Then use the sp handle and av stuff, maybe make a few modifications and there you go. However, 20200219_153245.jpg They are very different and its not going to work. The cylinder on the left is a 20200219_153224.jpg 10-10S, the right is a sp70. The oil tanks for both are similiar but cannot be swapped. The bearings have to be different. The flywheel side is the same size but the clutch side is not.

Thats why i asked about the sp70 cylinder picture posted. It looks like the cylinder was sp70 but the oil tank had a rigid style lower handle mount. Makes me wonder what saw thats for with the impulse nipple and rigid style bar mount.

Just pulled the muffler on the 850..

Very happy. It's like there is no end gap just like my 800 a perfect seal
Screenshot_20200220-101742_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200220-101754_Gallery.jpg
Unmarked is B right? 800 has a dam A was hoping this was a B I'll have better luck finding an oem piston. But that's 20 years away lol might get 1 for the stash though.

Screenshot_20200220-102226_Gallery.jpg
I found the missing section of chip screen lodged in the cylinder fins lol. Melted to much to glue in but that's ok I've got sections off other trashed ones... when I turf out my piggy bank I'll get 1 of Mark's nice ones

So i just took the clutch off a 7-10. Measured the bearing and it appears to be the same!!! As the sp70 and sp81. Aaaahh jethro...youre onto something now. Looks like im gonna see bout a big headache in the future one day...a SP7-10!! Not anytime soon but...i may have enough parts to attempt it. Seems a tall order but never say never. Im off friday...i think i have some research to do now. Thanks jethro for asking bout the 70cc saws. You made me go check and now the gears are a spinning.

So i just took the clutch off a 7-10. Measured the bearing and it appears to be the same!!! As the sp70 and sp81. Aaaahh jethro...youre onto something now. Looks like im gonna see bout a big headache in the future one day...a SP7-10!! Not anytime soon but...i may have enough parts to attempt it. Seems a tall order but never say never. Im off friday...i think i have some research to do now. Thanks jethro for asking bout the 70cc saws. You made me go check and now the gears are a spinning.

Ahh haa well there you go then:) you didn't need to buy a sp cylinder after all lol but pretty cool ya can though. Also could reverse it and use a spare sp cylinder on a rigid if the need arises and Bob has them. He had three 700s when I rang about a year ago they may be gone now.

Thanks for clarifying the B cylinder thats good news. Maybe the old B might fit in the A on the 800 lol

The same bearing is used on all of the 10 Series saws. The 70cc and up also use the bearing insert or sleeve to go over the bearing. The 10-10S is 57 cc and does not use the insert so the bore in the block matches the O.D. of the bearing. The illustration below is from an early 7-10 showing a locating ring on the bearing insert (Item 98), later models used a locating dowel pin like the one shown in my PM850 thread.

upload_2020-2-19_17-35-53.png

20190501_162715-jpg.734120

Mark

So mark showed a transitional coil mount is your sp 1 of those Vinny? I was thinking that the cp/sp 70cc cylinders were from a different casting (I've never touched 1 ever) and had me wondering about that 700 style transfer again.
Sooo is the sp70 a 700 casting that's had a nipple put in it. I see the other non AV 70cc cylinders have the provision there just not drilled.

Next thing to wonder about...

Can a rigid 82cc be built?

So mark showed a transitional coil mount is your sp 1 of those Vinny? I was thinking that the cp/sp 70cc cylinders were from a different casting (I've never touched 1 ever) and had me wondering about that 700 style transfer again.
Sooo is the sp70 a 700 casting that's had a nipple put in it. I see the other non AV 70cc cylinders have the provision there just not drilled.

Next thing to wonder about...

Can a rigid 82cc be built?
Yes the coil mount is transitional. It came with a small spacer. It does seem to be a pm700 block.
A rigid 82cc would be a handful, the cylinder is longer that the 70cc cylinders but im sure it can be done with enough ingenuity.

Latest posts

Back