McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin - try dressing the wheel with a dressing stick, a diamond wheel dresser, or even a piece of another grinding wheel. You may be able to straighten out the 3/16" wheel that you have. I find on my bench grinder I have to dress the wheel(s) about once a month to keep them spinning smoothly. I have the diamond dresser that came with the grinder that works well. If you don't have one of the cheap chain/wheel guides get one as they can be helpful when you dress/shape your grinding wheel. I cannot vouch for the veracity of the video link below, but it does show dressing wheel less than a minute in.

Mark

I've been quite curious of grinders but after reading all this mmmm I duno. I have no customers to worry about except a couple friends. I think I might stick to the file for a while yet. Thank you Kevin:) I watched your 5-10 video that thing is running sweet. What's your thoughts on the 70cc?

Good we video on the pressure test that's 1 heck of a leak

I got a great surprise today. I bought off ebay the other day a 10-10s. I dont have one nor ever have. The ad read very leaky fuel tank and no brake parts, and likely carb issues. Well, im here to say that this 10-10s isca great runner!! I did nothing to it, kinda boring really, lol. I figured that after he checked it and it leaked fuel everywhere that the cork would seal off, it did. The carb needed adjusted but no rebuild. The handle and brake parts are a wash, i had those extra in a box. So i now have a 10-10s and what a difference those few ccs make! Im impressed. 20200406_165147.jpg20200406_165204.jpg20200406_165211.jpg

I got a great surprise today. I bought off ebay the other day a 10-10s. I dont have one nor ever have. The ad read very leaky fuel tank and no brake parts, and likely carb issues. Well, im here to say that this 10-10s isca great runner!! I did nothing to it, kinda boring really, lol. I figured that after he checked it and it leaked fuel everywhere that the cork would seal off, it did. The carb needed adjusted but no rebuild. The handle and brake parts are a wash, i had those extra in a box. So i now have a 10-10s and what a difference those few ccs make! Im impressed. View attachment 815083View attachment 815084View attachment 815085
They are a great saw. Of the 10-10 models it is head and shoulders above them all. Ron used it one day and seamed to be impressed with it. That saw looks like it has never been used.

Brian

I got a great surprise today. I bought off ebay the other day a 10-10s. I dont have one nor ever have. The ad read very leaky fuel tank and no brake parts, and likely carb issues. Well, im here to say that this 10-10s isca great runner!! I did nothing to it, kinda boring really, lol. I figured that after he checked it and it leaked fuel everywhere that the cork would seal off, it did. The carb needed adjusted but no rebuild. The handle and brake parts are a wash, i had those extra in a box. So i now have a 10-10s and what a difference those few ccs make! Im impressed. View attachment 815083View attachment 815084View attachment 815085

Well done Vinny. Have you cut much with it yet? Definitely more than just a few cc. Really happy you got a 57 and a minta too

I posted this photo some while back (think I did anyway):

20200327_180459.jpg

I started working my way through them getting things cleaned up and finding a few broken and missing pieces like the ignition shaft assembly on one unit. A few years ago another member (oldwoodeye) wanted to borrow some parts to make copies for his saw that was missing pieces. I sent him the rear handle with all the bits so he could make his with the understanding he would make duplicates for me which explains the aluminum one on the right below.

20200404_130905.jpg

Using the aluminum one as a pattern, I made a kind of mold out of modeling clay.

20200404_130804.jpg

To add some mechanical strength and bond I drilled a couple of small holes and inserted a piece of steel wire in the broken one.

20200404_132810.jpg

Then poured some JB Weld around the broken part.

20200404_134913.jpg

Something went wrong in the process but I expect with a bit of filing and maybe some Dremel work it will come out O.K.

20200405_175554.jpg

More progress as it becomes available.

Mark

Hey I just realized there is some milk line on that handle

I posted this photo some while back (think I did anyway):

View attachment 815095

I started working my way through them getting things cleaned up and finding a few broken and missing pieces like the ignition shaft assembly on one unit. A few years ago another member (oldwoodeye) wanted to borrow some parts to make copies for his saw that was missing pieces. I sent him the rear handle with all the bits so he could make his with the understanding he would make duplicates for me which explains the aluminum one on the right below.

View attachment 815096

Using the aluminum one as a pattern, I made a kind of mold out of modeling clay.

View attachment 815097

To add some mechanical strength and bond I drilled a couple of small holes and inserted a piece of steel wire in the broken one.

View attachment 815098

Then poured some JB Weld around the broken part.

View attachment 815099

Something went wrong in the process but I expect with a bit of filing and maybe some Dremel work it will come out O.K.

View attachment 815100

More progress as it becomes available.

Mark

Hey Mark how many runner or will be runner Bp1s do you have going? Have you ever used 1 for more than a few cookies? How are they to run like cut up load of firewood kind of thing?

They are a great saw. Of the 10-10 models it is head and shoulders above them all. Ron used it one day and seamed to be impressed with it. That saw looks like it has never been used.

Brian

Have you found a old style 10-10 doner saw for yours yet? I spose a whole engine doesn't pop up very often

Lol, i do suck on this deal. I did go test it and holy smokes!! She cuts way better than i ever thought it would. Im very impressed. It needs more bar though. Ive got a 16 on it but its not enough.

Yes jethro thats the milk line on that handle. The bar was messed up so i swapped it with that one. I think it had a tree fall on it. No brake parts and a messed up handle. Then i think it sat for several decades. Boy it runs very well. Again, im impressed.

Lol, i do suck on this deal. I did go test it and holy smokes!! She cuts way better than i ever thought it would. Im very impressed. It needs more bar though. Ive got a 16 on it but its not enough.

Yes jethro thats the milk line on that handle. The bar was messed up so i swapped it with that one. I think it had a tree fall on it. No brake parts and a messed up handle. Then i think it sat for several decades. Boy it runs very well. Again, im impressed.

Good spoting on superficial damage. Its actually a good way to buy really as it usually means it took early retirement. My S had no spark so same sorta thing it had been parked up and forgotten I never got the rest of the saw though.

It will love a 20 and pull a 24 ok too but you got 70s or a 82s for that job

Notice the power is strong all over the rev range and then has wicked singing top end too. Leaner and leaner and leaner still with a real solid pop pop the 54 was sounding thin and nasty at the same rpm just not happy at all

Those blue and green stripes on the milk line come off with a dremel quite nicely:)

Before sending this I went and had a little test with my newly built 4000 (thanks Todd) and my hot rod 10-10 and yeah very close im surprised again. That's 7cc difference. The 4000 delivers it completely differently it's like the green saw is a big NA engine and the S is turbo sort of similar to the 70cc I guess in 12 16 inch wood I think the S can be faster it just revs harder and it kept up there in smaller wood. The 7-10 seems to want to rev a little lower but is more solid at keeping it there same with the 4000. The 3400 also liked to hold the rpm a little lower too and very solidly. A quick lift on the S and it just winds up a gear 56cc vs 57. It just feels like a racer it's exciting to run and listen to.

Glad you got 1 Vinny you won't be able to resist taking it out firewooding. Gee you got a real problem there haven't ya haha must take a few mins to decide which saws to take

Lol, i told my buddy about it and said i need counseling. Still far from his couple hundred, but its a struggle to pick one sometimes. Depends on what i need i guess. Yesterday a put a tank thru the 6-10a, the super 7-10 and used the sp70 a bit. Had a maple tree blowdown and knocked over a red elm in the process. Lots of limbing and a few larger cuts. The path is clear now though. It was fun.

Lol, i told my buddy about it and said i need counseling. Still far from his couple hundred, but its a struggle to pick one sometimes. Depends on what i need i guess. Yesterday a put a tank thru the 6-10a, the super 7-10 and used the sp70 a bit. Had a maple tree blowdown and knocked over a red elm in the process. Lots of limbing and a few larger cuts. The path is clear now though. It was fun.

Not sure a councilor would know what to say:) How do ya like the right hand pull? Do ya keep grabbing for the left?

I am lacking some critical parts so three runners is out of the question. Ideally I can get two to run and have one less than complete to put up on a shelf.

Mark

Nice Mark what do they weigh out of curiosity? I'm sad they never were produced for longer and recalled

I checked one of the BP-1's (power head only) and it weighs around 15-1/2 pounds empty. I have never cut more than a few cookies but I did watch a fellow make a cut in a very large log that ran the saw WOT for 3 or 4 minutes...it was blistering hot when he handed it back to me so I can't imagine what it would be like to run a full tank doing hard work. The "official" story on the BP-1 was that they were concerned about the engine overspeeding and potentially coming apart if the governor would fail. I heard other reports that McCulloch concluded the saws were too complicated for the typical saw mechanics of the day. Interesting because someone just sent me this copy of the McCulloch Reporter dated April 1962 that detailed how a team of McCulloch trainers went coast to coast over a period of 6 weeks to put on special training on the BP-1 with high tech training materials like film strips, IPL's, manuals, and procedures. Another theory was that the saws simply ran too hot and may have created a fire hazard, a view that I can confirm has a lot of validity.

20200404_101017.jpg

Mark

I need some information on the MAC Flatback carburetor on a 790. My question is: on the right side of the carb is the primer. Remove the primer pump and there is a ball check valve. The check valve has the ball, spring and seat and the bore that these parts go in. In what order do they go into the bore? I think it should be spring, ball and rubber seat. Is that correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back