McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my annual trek down to see Bob J.today.I'm a poor man $450 + later & I'm sure Bopb is laughing all the way to the bank.Lol It wasn't all for parts though,some of it was for labor on my 380 that he just couldn't get going.Ya win some,ya lose some.Of course it was good to see the old boy once again & shoot the breeze.I've probably got enough parts to last me through the rest of the yr.with one exception.I got home & there was a package on my doorstep.It was a 10-10 that I bought on Feebay a couple days ago.I unboxed it & got it running only to find out that it didn't have a muffler.I have 2 mufflers here for it,but no gasket! Damn,I was right there today.Lol
Your "saw rich" , lol.

One of the McCulloch publications guides lists a 62070 service manual for the 380 chainsaw. I have only seen a 60270. 2 other publication guides do not show a 62070 manual. Could one of you send me the 62070 if it exists?
Based on previous references, I'd hafta guess the 62070 is a typo/aberration. The 1979 Publications Guide lists the same service manual number (63829) for all of those similar models prior to being superseded somewhere along the way by 60270. It's highly unlikely that McCulloch would have published a service manual exclusive to the 380..., at least imho. On the other hand, maybe the 380 service manual was listed incorrectly in the 1979 Publications Guide and should have been 68329? McCulloch did do some pretty weird things, including providing conflicting/confusing information on occasion..., (just to keep us on our toes, of course).

63829.jpg

Based on previous references, I'd hafta guess the 62070 is a typo/aberration. The 1979 Publications Guide lists the same service manual number (63829) for all of those similar models prior to being superseded somewhere along the way by 60270. It's highly unlikely that McCulloch would have published a service manual exclusive to the 380..., at least imho. On the other hand, maybe the 380 service manual was listed incorrectly in the 1979 Publications Guide and should have been 68329? McCulloch did do some pretty weird things, including providing conflicting/confusing information on occasion..., (just to keep us on our toes, of course).

The 1998 guide listed the 380 as using the 62070. I use that guide most of the time and will keep it in mind of the typo.

Attachments

• 1mccullochpublicationsguide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Such as the pic of the 440 above which shows it as a front tank rather than the top tank it is.

The publication guide lists multiple saw under some headings so the illustration would be accurate for the 450. The 640 illustration is in error though as it shows the 1-6X model. The top tank depiction is almost accurate but the 440 and 640 have a tank more like the Super Series saws.

DSCN0801.jpg

McCulloch 450 2.JPG

1-62, this one had been converted to a LH start but there were factory models in Europe anyway. I saw one at Belgian's (Roland's) place.

McCulloch 1-62 006.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

Mark

Great seller there,really knows his stuff,friendly & very easy to deal with.Has had lots of really rare saws & parts,some really obscure stuff for sale over the past several years.Dont have Mac's real often but not unusual to see some early-late 40's monster 2 man Mall's,Disston's,Titan's & other stuff for sale occasionally.

I bought a 10-10 last week & got it delivered yesterday.The saw has no muffler,so I thought OK,no biggie,I've got 3 pancake mufflers that'll just pop right on.Wrong! The gasket for a pancake muffler won't even fit in the gasket recess.The saw has 2 mounting holes down over the piston's exhaust port & a boss on the side of the saw.I don't have any tags in the saw.Anybody got any ideas as to what style muffler I'd need?

I bought a 10-10 last week & got it delivered yesterday.The saw has no muffler,so I thought OK,no biggie,I've got 3 pancake mufflers that'll just pop right on.Wrong! The gasket for a pancake muffler won't even fit in the gasket recess.The saw has 2 mounting holes down over the piston's exhaust port & a boss on the side of the saw.I don't have any tags in the saw.Anybody got any ideas as to what style muffler I'd need?
Pictures would help, but I've had a few exhaust gaskets get really carboned up on the edge and not want to fit back in place. Razor knife and degreaser helped.

Pictures would help, but I've had a few exhaust gaskets get really carboned up on the edge and not want to fit back in place. Razor knife and degreaser helped.
The muffler gasket I have is new & it won't fit in the gasket recess.I'll get a pic on here tomorrow.There were many different models of mufflers that Mac made for the same saw.Apparently this saw doesn't use a pancake style muffler.I believe it takes a 2-10 style muffler with a duct that attaches on the underside & the muffler body is bolted to the side of the saw.

The muffler gasket I have is new & it won't fit in the gasket recess.I'll get a pic on here tomorrow.There were many different models of mufflers that Mac made for the same saw.Apparently this saw doesn't use a pancake style muffler.I believe it takes a 2-10 style muffler with a duct that attaches on the underside & the muffler body is bolted to the side of the saw.

Sounds like you're looking for something like this?

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.00.44 AM.png

This followed me home the other day for $15, which was more than I wanted to spend but there are some good parts. Mini Mac 6 basket case.

The bad: idiot lost a few parts (wrap handle, which I have a spare one. Manual oiler lever, which really annoys me, Ill have to find or make one. A bunch of the screws and the bar mounting nut, which also have spares ) Also the recoil spool is of course broken, I already have a NOS recoil in the mail.

The good: Appears to have extremely little running on it. The bar and clutch look almost new, no wear. Gas / tank is perfect, has the newer style fuel outlet installed AND a perfect condition "bulb" style fuel line, still pliable! No cracks or damage to housing or covers. Feels good when I turn it over.

Also, comes with original owners manual and initial setup paperwork, neato!

I'm just a little confused because this is clearly a manual oiler only saw, but the owners manual calls it a manual / automatic oiler? So, not sure if the manual goes with this particular saw?

Also, I accused the guy of losing the louvered muffler cover, only to later find out, this was what they looked like in these years!

Attachments

• 20200810_075125.jpg
    20200810_075125.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200810_075625.jpg
    20200810_075625.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200810_075223.jpg
    20200810_075223.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200810_075153.jpg
    20200810_075153.jpg