McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McCullock Chain Saws

I've enjoyed reading some of the history behind Robert McCullock. Thanks to a post by Tzed250.
Saw a display of some old boat motors and just had to get a picture of this old McCullock outboard boat motor. WARNING IT'S NOT YELLOW!

p101004104xb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p101004204ni5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me...

There was a movie as saw many years ago, balck and white film as I recall, about McCulloch and their developments. I think I remember at one point a discussion about how they had improved the performance of their small engines to the point where they were getting more than 1 HP per In³. I do remember boat engines being in the movie.

Does anyone else know of the movie, the title, and whether or not a copy might be available anywhere?

Mark

The 740 is 6.04 In³ or 99 cc, direct drive saw. Just one of the peculiar things about this model is the fact it is equipped with an air vane type governer, along with the McCulloch carburetor.

If I have in fact worked through the carburetor issues, I hope to run this one in Baraboo, WI on the 15th/16th assuming I get back to USA on schedule.

attachment.php

Here is a view of the other side of the 740, the right hand starter actually more difficult for me to operate even though I am right handed. that coupled with the fact this saw can kick a bit during starting makes it a little interesting to get going.

Mark H.
My Mac 10-10 used to have the starter on the same side as your saw, until I was forced to remove the starter from that side, and put a starter on the Fan Side.
I didn't get the clutch tightened properly, and it came loose, and wobbled on the shaft, chewing out the key way on the shaft.I had a starter for the fan side, from a saw I salvaged parts from, and put it on.
My Mac 1-10, has the same set up, as your saw here. I to am right handed. Dad taught me how the easiest way to start these saws, when I started running chain saws.
I just kneel down on my right knee beside the saw on the opposite side of the starter, placing my left knee on top of the saw. Using my right hand, I operate the choke, and the throttle. With my left hand, I use to pull the starter rope.
I've been starting my saws for so long that way, I don't know any other way to start a saw. I have taught my best friend to start these chain saws this way, even though, the starter is on the fan side. I'm in the process of teaching my Step Son how to start a Chain Saw this way as well.
When Dad taught me this way of starting, He said that there is no way that the saw was going to come up on you while starting. Give this a try Mark. It may help you. Bruce.

Bruce suggested I add a few photo's. Most of these appear in other threads but here they are a bit more organized.

attachment.php

Model 47, may be the oldest McCulloch I own

attachment.php

D44, another old one

attachment.php

1-40 and D-30 (center pull starter)

attachment.php

McCulloch 35A, I don't know why they thought turning the power head 90° was a good idea

attachment.php

Mac 15, their first attempt at a low cost "consumer" saw, shared a lot of components with the 200/250/300 saws.

More to follow

Mark

Mark. I saw a couple of those Wright Blade Saws on eBay last night. Bruce.

Yesterday, I had a real good day, cutting fire wood for our House. My 18 Year Old Step Son, and I worked together cutting wood, behind the Barn on the Huge Concrete Slab I used to store the Manure from the Barn on.
We used my Mini Mac 30, for the small stuff, and marking where the cuts needed to be. He used my e Bay Mac 10-10 Automatic, and I used my Pro Mac 60, to cut up the rest of the fire wood.
I taught him how to mix up Gas/Mix, and how to install a new chain, and how to run it in. I taught him how to check the chain for tightness, and adjust it when it was loose.
He thought it was cool to run a bigger Chain Saw then the Mini Macs, that he has been running for 2 years helping me cut fire wood. I wanted him to get some experience with Chain Saws, before I handed him one of the bigger Saws. He did a couple things, but not serious, and I pointed them out to him, what could happen. He is a good Kid, and I proud of him, for wanting to learn.
I bought a Pro Mac 10-10 from e Bay for him, and I'm waiting for a Carburetor Kit, and a 20" Bar and Chain Combo, and a Air Filter for it from e Bay.
I have also an Eager Beaver 2.0, and a Mac 110, that came in from e Bay as well I'll give him, once him and I get the New Carburetor Kits in, and get them ready to run, he will be set for Chain Saws.
He asked me all kinds of questions, Yesterday, about cleaning the Chain Saw, to Servicing the saws, to cleaning the Air Filters, to Sharpening the Chains, to looking after the Bar. He is real eager to learn more about the Chain Saws. Now I know how my Dad felt, when I started working with Chain Saws. PROUD. Bruce.

I've enjoyed reading some of the history behind Robert Mcculloch. Thanks to a post by Tzed250.
Saw a display of some old boat motors and just had to get a picture of this old Mcculloch outboard boat motor. WARNING IT'S NOT YELLOW!

p101004104xb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p101004204ni5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very Impressive Motor. I bet it wouldn't have too much trouble pulling a Skier. Bruce.

Yesterday, I had a real good day, cutting fire wood for our House. My 18 Year Old Step Son, and I worked together cutting wood, behind the Barn on the Huge Concrete Slab I used to store the Manure from the Barn on.
We used my Mini Mac 30, for the small stuff, and marking where the cuts needed to be. He used my e Bay Mac 10-10 Automatic, and I used my Pro Mac 60, to cut up the rest of the fire wood.
I taught him how to mix up Gas/Mix, and how to install a new chain, and how to run it in. I taught him how to check the chain for tightness, and adjust it when it was loose.
He thought it was cool to run a bigger Chain Saw then the Mini Macs, that he has been running for 2 years helping me cut fire wood. I wanted him to get some experience with Chain Saws, before I handed him one of the bigger Saws. He did a couple things, but not serious, and I pointed them out to him, what could happen. He is a good Kid, and I proud of him, for wanting to learn.
I bought a Pro Mac 10-10 from e Bay for him, and I'm waiting for a Carburetor Kit, and a 20" Bar and Chain Combo, and a Air Filter for it from e Bay.
I have also an Eager Beaver 2.0, and a Mac 110, that came in from e Bay as well I'll give him, once him and I get the New Carburetor Kits in, and get them ready to run, he will be set for Chain Saws.
He asked me all kinds of questions, Yesterday, about cleaning the Chain Saw, to Servicing the saws, to cleaning the Air Filters, to Sharpening the Chains, to looking after the Bar. He is real eager to learn more about the Chain Saws. Now I know how my Dad felt, when I started working with Chain Saws. PROUD. Bruce.
Enjoy the 'quality time' Bruce, which it sounds like you are.

Enjoy the 'quality time' Bruce, which it sounds like you are.

Thanks Buck.
I have a 10 Year Old Daughter as well, and I go and get Her sometimes to help me run the wood splitter. When she gets older, around 15 or so, and if she wants to learn to run a Chain Saw, I'll be in my Glory, working with her, and Teaching her.
I also take her Bass Fishing as well. We put my 12' aluminium boat with an electric motor, and go fishing on a river not too far from me. On this river, your not allowed Out Board Motors, which we like.
Last time we were out fishing, she caught a 1 1/2 to 2 lbs Bass, and had a quit a few bits as well. Se hasn't quit mastered setting the hook yet, but when she does, look out fishes. Bruce

My dad has a gigantic Mccullough in his basement. The bar has to be close to 26" and I think it's like a 1950's model. We could never get the carburetor to work right. He said the diapraghms were never any good in it and the saw never ran for more than 30 minutes. I would love to fix that thing up and get it running. Maybe I can take pictures of it and get some help on here nursing it back to health.
Welcome to AS. For help, and suggestions, you have come to the right Place. There are a lot of guys on this Tread, that have and run old McCullochs like yours, and I'm sure that somebody can help you out. Bruce.

:greenchainsaw:

Have a Super Pro 60 that's been in the family since new--it's my favorite saw and still use it often and frequently......

I want another one:)

Casey
Casey.
I've been talking top a few guys here on As, that also own McCulloch Chainsaws, as well as other makes, a lot of them would prefer the older McCulloch Chain Saws, because of their incredibale power, but the noise levels is an issue with them.
I only have McCulloch Chain Saws, and that's all Ill probably use to cutt fire wood with. I've tried other makes, and there was no comparison to the McCulloch for power.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has a Chain Saw in the Family since New. I have a Mac 10-10 Automatic that my Great Uncle Bought in 1968, and later sold it to my Dad in 1974, and a Pro Mac 60, that my Great Uncle bought new in 1973, and sold it to me in 1984.
I also have a Mini Mac 30 that my Great Uncle bought new in
1975, and my Dad inherited when my Great Uncle Died. In 1981, Dad purchased the Pro Mac 700, that you see in my Signatue , and I inherated this Saw in 1998, when My Dad Past away, along with the Mac 10-10 Automatic, and the Mini Mac 30.
As you can see, my Collection has grew since May, of this year. Enjoy this Site. Bruce.

Casey.

As you can see, my Collection has grew since May, of this year. Enjoy this Site. Bruce.

Bruce,

I really want the whole line of Super Pro's/SP's--but they seem to be more difficult to find than say, the Mac's from the 1950's. Maybe the Super Pro's were that much more expensive and Mac didn't sell very many.

I realize that different techniques are required for the high RPM saws, but there seems to be a lot of circumstances where the low down torquey power of my Super Pros accomplish things with less fuss....

I would like to find a couple parts saws for the SP 60, 'cause if it breaks something major I don't know what I'm gonna do:cry: My dad bought the SP 60 in the early 70's (that would make it the early model SP 60), and gave it to me in the late 90's. I also bought a Super Pro 70 from a long time family friend, and really like that saw too.

Were the Pro 10-10's from the 1970's a good saw?

Casey

Bruce,

I really want the whole line of Super Pro/Sp--but they seem to be more difficult to find than say, the Mac's from the 1950's. Maybe the Super Pro were that much more expensive and Mac didn't sell very many.

I realize that different techniques are required for the high RPM saws, but there seems to be a lot of circumstances where the low down torque power of my Super Pros accomplish things with less fuss....

I would like to find a couple parts saws for the SP 60, 'cause if it breaks something major I don't know what I'm gonna do:cry: My dad bought the SP 60 in the early 70's (that would make it the early model SP 60), and gave it to me in the late 90's. I also bought a Super Pro 70 from a long time family friend, and really like that saw too.

Casey
Pretty much, all the McCulloch Line of Chain Saws, while The McCulloch Family had control over the Name, but after it was sold, that is when the Crap looking Saws came in. In 1984, I still could buy a Pro Mac 700, but I bought my Great Uncles Pro Mac 60 instead.
I never knew that there was such thing as a Super Pro Model available, until I joined this wed site, and started looking at Chain Saws on e Bay.
From what I can tell, there is no comparison between the Pro Mac, and the Super Pro Saws. The all look the exact same, and have all the Same Specks. Bruce.

Bruce,

I really want the whole line of Super Pro's/SP's--but they seem to be more difficult to find than say, the Mac's from the 1950's. Maybe the Super Pro's were that much more expensive and Mac didn't sell very many.

I realize that different techniques are required for the high RPM saws, but there seems to be a lot of circumstances where the low down torquey power of my Super Pros accomplish things with less fuss....

Casey
Casey.
Parts Saws are not hard to find. Parts are pretty much interchangeable, from Mac 10-10 right through to the Pro Mac 60 to Super Pro 60, Pro Mac 700, Pro Mac 80, and Super Pro Modles, and so one. Bruce.

:greenchainsaw:

Have a Super Pro 60 that's been in the family since new--it's my favorite saw and still use it often and frequently......

I want another one:)

Casey

I'm waiting on a few bits to finish putting this one back to work.

I'm pretty familiar with them as my brother has had one for quite a few years and we have cut alot of wood together.

I may not keep this one, but again it seems like its getting harder to let any saw go.

That said I'm not knocking them, but I really don't see how they earned the super pro name. Just because of the primitive anti vibe of the time maybe?

I'm waiting on a few bits to finish putting this one back to work.

I'm pretty familiar with them as my brother has had one for quite a few years and we have cut alot of wood together.

I may not keep this one, but again it seems like its getting harder to let any saw go.

That said I'm not knocking them, but I really don't see how they earned the super pro name. Just because of the primitive anti vibe of the time maybe?

Ya' mean they have anti vibe? :dizzy: ........

The Super Pro's have been the most reliable, and easy starting/tuning Macs of the 70's I've been around--especially so because they bounce back and forth between 6000 ft and 9200 ft in altitude--I've got tuning the carb down to a 30 second drill........

Casey

The Super Pro have been the most reliable, and easy starting/tuning Macs of the 70's I've been around--especially so because they bounce back and forth between 6000 ft and 9200 ft in altitude--I've got tuning the carb down to a 30 second drill........

Casey

I think that Maybe it was given the Name Super Pro was because of Marketing Scheme, to lure Potential Buyers. For a while the called the Mac 10-10 Mac 10-10 Light Weight, and that was for Marketing. Bruce.

I think that Maybe it was given the Name Super Pro was because of Marketing Scheme, to lure Potential Buyers. For a while the called the Mac 10-10 Mac 10-10 Light Weight, and that was for Marketing. Bruce.

Just looking at the lineup of Mac's over the years, I'm sure there was a bunch of marketing.

Although there is obvious external differences in the early 10-10, to the 1970's10-10's, to the early 80's model, how much difference is there with the 10-10, Pro 10-10, Mac 10-10, Mac 10-10A, Pro Mac 10-10, Super 10-10, Super 10-10A, etc, etc...........?

I just wonder if there may have been differences in quality control, or sometimes a few parts did have different specs to warrant a change in designation. Or something along the line of one or two added features--like the diference between the Stihl MS 260 vs the MS 260 Pro.

Casey

The Super Pro's have been the most reliable, and easy starting/tuning Macs of the 70's I've been around--especially so because they bounce back and forth between 6000 ft and 9200 ft in altitude--I've got tuning the carb down to a 30 second drill........

Casey

Well they better be easy to tune because mine has a fixed high speed jet in it. LOL

Really I think the Super Pro name was mostly a gimmick, they aint any more super then the rest.

You really think there more reliable then a 10-10 or any other? I dont see why or how.

Just looking at the lineup of Mac's over the years, I'm sure there was a bunch of marketing.

Although there is obvious external differences in the early 10-10, to the 1970's10-10's, to the early 80's model, how much difference is there with the 10-10, Pro 10-10, Mac 10-10, Mac 10-10A, Pro Mac 10-10, Super 10-10, Super 10-10A, etc, etc...........?

I just wonder if there may have been differences in quality control, or sometimes a few parts did have different specs to warrant a change in designation. Or something along the line of one or two added features--like the difference between the Stihl MS 260 vs the MS 260 Pro.

Casey

Casey.
If you Google "Chain Saws Collectors Corner" you can find out any information, your Hearts Desired. I started to send you all this information between Models of these Saws, and I thought instead of trying to type it all out, I'd be here till Christmas, so I thought Id let you know about this Web Site as well.
At this website, you can register your self as a Member, Just like here on As, and you can also be registered there as well as a Collector. I hope this helps you get your answers to your questions. Bruce.

Latest posts

Back