McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want McCulloch 125

I am probably one of about 1000, but I am looking for a McCulloch 125 to add to my collection, I have a obsession with the biggest and baddest anyone looking to cut lose with one PM me and let me know.

the first step obviously is polishing all those handlebars. It's easy after that.

attachment.php

Now I want to run a 797.So would it kinda be like a 088 compared to a 090??More torque felt in other words?

On another note.I seen a 695 go for over $600 on sleeze-bay the other day.Don't find them often either,but that's just to much $ in my opinion.

Terry, if you want the biggest, baddest, find a 797, they are definately "badder" than a 125. Just ask Hoss.

Yup, it's true. I have had the chance to run several examples of both and the 797 is just a stronger saw. There was some disscussion on this before and Jacob J had some good specs on how the 797 shares more with the 101 racing motor than the 125's did. The 797 definately makes you feel like going out and intimidating other saws, just power everywhere.

Well said brother Hoss. They will also intimidate humans, such chainsaws will issue the challenge, are you man enough to pick me and use me the way I was intended. 797s and chainsaws like them, were made for the 10% of all men who could accept that challenge.

I had a fellow Macman visiting me over the weekend... so I took advantage of the opportunity and put him straight to work on my 795 that had a carb issue.

Dr Mark found the corrosion pits in the flatback carb caused the diaphragm not sealing anymore, so he added a new carb to my "need to have" list.

We had a great time this weekend.

Dr Mark is very meticulous in his work !

attachment.php

I had a fellow Macman visiting me over the weekend... so I took advantage of the opportunity and put him straight to work on my 795 that had a carb issue.

Dr Mark found the corrosion pits in the flatback carb caused the diaphragm not sealing anymore, so he added a new carb to my "need to have" list.

We had a great time this weekend.

Dr Mark is very meticulous in his work !

attachment.php

Give Mark a white lab coat to wear & then you can call him "Doc". ;)

I rarely travel without my coveralls, but most of the time I need them when I am assisting our customers in the plants where they use our equipment. In this case it was pure pleasure to get to put on some work clothes and take a McCulloch 795L apart. Unfortunately due to the corrosion issues we didn't get to hear this one bark.

Just another Saturday morning in the shops tearing into a McCulloch carburetor
attachment.php

Someone left this one setting with some water in the carburetor
attachment.php

Carburetor wasn't the only issue, had to do a little cleaning on the intake as well
attachment.php

Even though it was not a runner this weekend, this is a good looking saw
attachment.php

Mark

The 797 is a stronger engine but if I was logging back in the mid 70's I would much rather run a sp125 all day long than a 797. Not hard tough with the help of a kart engine to make the sp125 ramp up some. Other than that both are excellent examples of fine McCulloch engineering.

Yup, it's true. I have had the chance to run several examples of both and the 797 is just a stronger saw. There was some disscussion on this before and Jacob J had some good specs on how the 797 shares more with the 101 racing motor than the 125's did. The 797 definately makes you feel like going out and intimidating other saws, just power everywhere.

My Uncle and a good buddy of mine always swore up and down that the 797 was a monster I ran them a couple times they were very impressive. I had just herd so much bragging about the 125 I wanted to try one. I guess I could be open to getting my hands on a good rebuildable 797, just for fun. Fear is a learned response,and a distraction that causes a lose of situational awareness, thus puts a person in danger. Pretty much if you fear it leave it alone.

Now I want to run a 797.So would it kinda be like a 088 compared to a 090??More torque felt in other words?

The power band on the 797 is different. It was made, like the kart engines, to develop its power at a higher RPM (than the 125s.) It was a saw truly designed for the professional operator in big timber. It was actually designed after McCulloch engineers spent time in the brush with pro fallers on the west coast and took a look at the modifications they made to their existing Mac saws of the era.

The 797 is solid-mount and a real brute to run all day as Randy said. The 125s are more comfortable to run, especially if you're in a mix of timber.

For those that haven't seen this saw.
I restored this 797 recently. One of
my favorites.

Lee

797Resto004-1.jpg

797Resto005-1.jpg

Lee, the saw looks perfect. What do you use for paint when restoring the Macs? Working on a 10-10 now and was wondering what the best paint would be.

Loved the sound of that saw.

:greenchainsaw:

Back